Re: [nslu2-general] What follows the nslu2?

  • jl.050877@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 20, 2008
      On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 10:34:15PM -0400, Bryan Montgomery wrote:
      > That said, it seems to be a low powered device that would be nice
      > for things like openvpn, samba etc.
      >
      > I was curious whether anyone has upgraded from the nslu2 - and
      > what to?

      It is unfortunate that Linksys has not offered a hardware
      upgrade for the now discontinued NSLU2.

      For networking (e.g. openVPN), you can choose from any of the
      routers supported by OpenWRT or DD-WRT.

      For network attached storage (e.g. samba), you can upgrade
      from NSLU2 to Debian on a Thecus N2100 or, maybe, a QNAP TS-109,
      TS-209 or TS-409. For more on these options, see the docs for the
      Debian-ARM port.

      John
    • ralph.unslunger
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 21, 2008
        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, jl.050877@... wrote:

        > On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 10:34:15PM -0400, Bryan Montgomery wrote:
        > > That said, it seems to be a low powered device that would be nice
        > > for things like openvpn, samba etc.
        > >
        > > I was curious whether anyone has upgraded from the nslu2 - and
        > > what to?
        >
        > It is unfortunate that Linksys has not offered a hardware
        > upgrade for the now discontinued NSLU2.
        >
        > For networking (e.g. openVPN), you can choose from any of the
        > routers supported by OpenWRT or DD-WRT.
        >
        > For network attached storage (e.g. samba), you can upgrade
        > from NSLU2 to Debian on a Thecus N2100 or, maybe, a QNAP TS-109,
        > TS-209 or TS-409. For more on these options, see the docs for the
        > Debian-ARM port.

        You might also look at the Western Digital My Book World Edition:
        - http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=347
        and the Western Digital My Book World Edition II:
        - http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=340

        They are hard disk enclosures with 1 or 2 3.5" HDs installed,
        supporting RAID0 or RAID1 mirroring, plus direct ethernet connection.
        Like the NSLU2 they are also GNU/Linux powered.

        I've seen reviews saying they're a little slow, but I doubt it's any
        worse than the slug.