What follows the nslu2?

  • Bryan Montgomery
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 18 7:34 PM
      Hello,
      I was recently a magazine that talked about the cherryPal (
      http://cherrypal.com/) - interesting looking device - although it seems to
      be closed source currently. That said, it seems to be a low powered device
      that would be nice for things like openvpn, samba etc.

      I was curious whether anyone has upgraded from the nslu2 - and what to?

      Bryan.

    • jl.050877@gmail.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 20 11:50 AM
        On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 10:34:15PM -0400, Bryan Montgomery wrote:
        > That said, it seems to be a low powered device that would be nice
        > for things like openvpn, samba etc.
        >
        > I was curious whether anyone has upgraded from the nslu2 - and
        > what to?

        It is unfortunate that Linksys has not offered a hardware
        upgrade for the now discontinued NSLU2.

        For networking (e.g. openVPN), you can choose from any of the
        routers supported by OpenWRT or DD-WRT.

        For network attached storage (e.g. samba), you can upgrade
        from NSLU2 to Debian on a Thecus N2100 or, maybe, a QNAP TS-109,
        TS-209 or TS-409. For more on these options, see the docs for the
        Debian-ARM port.

        John
      • ralph.unslunger
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 21 4:03 AM
          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, jl.050877@... wrote:

          > On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 10:34:15PM -0400, Bryan Montgomery wrote:
          > > That said, it seems to be a low powered device that would be nice
          > > for things like openvpn, samba etc.
          > >
          > > I was curious whether anyone has upgraded from the nslu2 - and
          > > what to?
          >
          > It is unfortunate that Linksys has not offered a hardware
          > upgrade for the now discontinued NSLU2.
          >
          > For networking (e.g. openVPN), you can choose from any of the
          > routers supported by OpenWRT or DD-WRT.
          >
          > For network attached storage (e.g. samba), you can upgrade
          > from NSLU2 to Debian on a Thecus N2100 or, maybe, a QNAP TS-109,
          > TS-209 or TS-409. For more on these options, see the docs for the
          > Debian-ARM port.

          You might also look at the Western Digital My Book World Edition:
          - http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=347
          and the Western Digital My Book World Edition II:
          - http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=340

          They are hard disk enclosures with 1 or 2 3.5" HDs installed,
          supporting RAID0 or RAID1 mirroring, plus direct ethernet connection.
          Like the NSLU2 they are also GNU/Linux powered.

          I've seen reviews saying they're a little slow, but I doubt it's any
          worse than the slug.