Re: Closure: Upgrade to 750GB disk

  • Jim
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 17, 2008
      Whew! That sounds like a lot of work. Are you running a filesystem
      other than EXT3?

      Here's what I do when bringing a new disk online. Keep in mind two things:

      - I'm using Linksys' embedded firmware V2.3R76.
      - I have 3 NSLU2's. They're so cheap why own just one :)

      1) If my 'old' drive is not online as 'Disk 1' I connect it to a slug
      as Disk1 & power-up the drive.

      2) Connect the 'new' drive to 'Disk 2' and power up the drive.

      3) Power up the slug.

      4) Startup the web interface & verify I can browse Disk 1.

      5) Select the 'Administration' tab, signin, and select the 'disk' submenu.

      6) Verify Disk 2 shows up as either 'not formatted' or shows it's
      native format.

      7) Click 'format disk 2' to EXT3 & verify upon completion.

      8) Click the 'backup' submenu and choose the 'Enable drive backup from
      Disk 1 to Disk 2' option. IMPORTANT: click the SAVE button.

      9) Click 'Start Backup Now'. My slug transfers ~70GB/hour; since the
      slug can perform this operation in a hands-off state I can disconnect
      my client PC and use it to perform other tasks.

      Happy SLUGging :) Jim
    • Fernando Carolo
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 19, 2008
        On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 10:49 AM, Tim Wiser <tim_wiser@...> wrote:

        > Is it possible to hang a powered USB hub off the back of an Unslung (latest firmware) and then have a couple of memory sticks connected to the hub? Does the Slug pick the two devices up?

        Tim,

        this should work for Unslung 6.x. Keep your boot drive (hard disk or
        flash) connected to port 2 (yes, port 2 is the recommended one for
        your boot drive) and connect your hub to port 1. I have helped a
        friend with a similar setup (memory stick on port 2, two hard disks
        connected to a hub on port 1) without problems.

        Regards,

        --
        Fernando Carolo
        "Ignore the noise. Make some signal" -- Nathan Torkington