Re: Closure: Upgrade to 750GB disk

  • Jim
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 17, 2008
      Whew! That sounds like a lot of work. Are you running a filesystem
      other than EXT3?

      Here's what I do when bringing a new disk online. Keep in mind two things:

      - I'm using Linksys' embedded firmware V2.3R76.
      - I have 3 NSLU2's. They're so cheap why own just one :)

      1) If my 'old' drive is not online as 'Disk 1' I connect it to a slug
      as Disk1 & power-up the drive.

      2) Connect the 'new' drive to 'Disk 2' and power up the drive.

      3) Power up the slug.

      4) Startup the web interface & verify I can browse Disk 1.

      5) Select the 'Administration' tab, signin, and select the 'disk' submenu.

      6) Verify Disk 2 shows up as either 'not formatted' or shows it's
      native format.

      7) Click 'format disk 2' to EXT3 & verify upon completion.

      8) Click the 'backup' submenu and choose the 'Enable drive backup from
      Disk 1 to Disk 2' option. IMPORTANT: click the SAVE button.

      9) Click 'Start Backup Now'. My slug transfers ~70GB/hour; since the
      slug can perform this operation in a hands-off state I can disconnect
      my client PC and use it to perform other tasks.

      Happy SLUGging :) Jim
    • docbillnet
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 18, 2008
        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Ben Formesyn" <ben@...> wrote:
        > Aim was to swap out the 300GB disk I was currently using for a
        larger 750GB
        > disk, in order to keep the power consumption down as I have the slug
        running
        > 24x7.

        lvm2 is your friend. I recommend reading up on it.

        > - Hardware : New HDD is a 750GB WD 'Green Power' SATA 3.5" disk
        > (chosen for low power consumption and low noise ) in an Asaka
        Integral 3.5"
        > SATA to USB enclosure. They're more expensive than other
        enclosures, but
        > i've had problems in the past with cheaper enclosures and corrupt data.

        Good choice. Cheap hardware will often byte you later. My favorite
        enclosures are the NexStar Vantec. I have an MX series plugged into
        one of my NSLU2's 24x7 with two 750 GB hard drives. However, two
        drives requires a fan, which is probably more noise than you wanted.

        > - Downloaded the Knoppix 5.3.1 Live distribution and burnt
        to DVD.
        > Then booted a PC using it - (FWIW an old Centrino laptop didn't like the
        > Distro).

        You might want to investigate using network booting. It saves you
        from having to burn those shinny things.

        > dd if=/dev/sdd of=/dev/sdc

        A bit lucky this works. If the sector layout of the two drives is
        different, this won't work. Fortunately this does work between
        practically all SATA drives. However, if you going this route it
        is better to partition the new hard drive and move each partition
        individually. e.g.

        fdisk /dev/sdc
        dd if=/dev/sdd1 of=/dev/sdc1 bs=4M
        dd if=/dev/sdd2 of=/dev/sdc2 bs=4M

        and of course your boot sector:
        dd if=/dev/sdd of=/dev/sdc bs=446 count=1

        The new partitions can be larger than the old partitions, but not smaller.

        Once this is done, just resize each partition to fill the hard drive.

        resize2fs /dev/sdc1
        resize2fs /dev/sdc2

        > And sit back and wait, the flickering access lights on the
        enclosures the
        > only sign of any activity. I had ~270GB of data to move between
        disks, and
        > in the end it took about 18 hours at a rate of 4.5 MB/s. (On
        reflection, it
        > probably would have taken less time if I'd specified larger blocks to be
        > transferred by adding bs=4k to the end of this command, as whilst
        waiting I
        > found that dd defaults to just 512bytes which slows things down ..)

        Try a larger number like bs=4M. It actually works best if the block
        size is on the order of the same size as the hard drive cache.

        > Now time to move the Partitions around and expand them using the
        Partition
        > Manager (Gparted)

        Unfortunately, this means if your partitions are not in a logical
        order you will spend many hours moving disk around on the hard drive.

        Also, you probably want to reboot prior to running gparted, because
        the Linux kernel might not have read the new partition table for /dev/sdc.

        > First up was the swap partition - that was moved to the end of the
        disk, and
        > increased in size to 1GB (to allow other future 'large' disks to be
        > formatted )

        I'm still not sure why people want so much swap on their NSLU2's...
        With 512M I had no problem formatting 1.5TB. I suspect 256MB would
        have done just fine. If you temporarily need more swap space you can
        always create a swap file...

        Anyway, I am glad it worked out for you. 25 minutes is fairly fast.
        So perhaps my tips don't matter speed wise...

        Of course my preferred method to copy data between hard drives without
        lvm2 is to use "rsync -aHS". "rsync" is slower, but there is no
        fragmentation in the new filesystem.

        Bill
      • Tim Wiser
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 18, 2008
          Is it possible to hang a powered USB hub off the back of an Unslung (latest firmware) and then have a couple of memory sticks connected to the hub? Does the Slug pick the two devices up?

          Cheers,
          Tim.

        • Fernando Carolo
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 19, 2008
            On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 10:49 AM, Tim Wiser <tim_wiser@...> wrote:

            > Is it possible to hang a powered USB hub off the back of an Unslung (latest firmware) and then have a couple of memory sticks connected to the hub? Does the Slug pick the two devices up?

            Tim,

            this should work for Unslung 6.x. Keep your boot drive (hard disk or
            flash) connected to port 2 (yes, port 2 is the recommended one for
            your boot drive) and connect your hub to port 1. I have helped a
            friend with a similar setup (memory stick on port 2, two hard disks
            connected to a hub on port 1) without problems.

            Regards,

            --
            Fernando Carolo
            "Ignore the noise. Make some signal" -- Nathan Torkington