Folder and file sharing from NSLU2 to networked PCs.

  • TinPan Harry
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 11 8:07 AM
      When I click on a folder on an XP machine, it allows me to
      choose "Sharing and Security" and from there I can choose to share
      folders or files on my network......

      On the NSLU2 (firmware 2.3r63), I have a FAT32 formatted external usb
      drive connected. From my network I can get to the drive by browsing
      the Network Neighborhood, but I don't see a way to share a folder from
      the NSLU2 to the network. The firmware would allow me to do this if I
      left it formatted as ext3, but that won't work for me.

      The practical issue is that I want to mount a folder/share on the usb
      drive from an Apple TV, which mounts afp, nfs and smb shares just fine
      (no option for ext3). I can currently mount my XP box's internal hard
      drive and USB attached drive, but it can't see the USB drive behind the
      NSLU2.

      Is there a way to share folders behind the NSLU2 to the network as an
      nfs or smb share?

      Thanks in advance,
      TPH
    • TinPan Harry
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 13 4:05 AM
        I found the solution. There was hint in the FAQ section here.

        The ATV NitoTV to NSLu2 set up I have long been seeking was the
        following: Special thanks to Kelgamal from whom these directions were
        modified from an earler post:
        Be aware that I have just tested this and additional testing needs to
        be done to validate long term stability of the solution.
        This was done with a native ATV ver 1.1 upgraded to ATV 2.1 and then
        patched with ATVflash version 3.2.

        1. Format the external USB device to Fat32 as that is how I set it up
        and it impacts these instructions. Other choices are possible (ext3
        and NTFS) but theyimpact future capabilities. I chose Fat32 for
        compatiblity with XP and it was easier for me.
        2. Attach it to the Linksys NSLU2 as per the device's instructions.
        3. The NSLU2 automatically set up a share of //Devicename/HDD_1_1.
        4. Be sure to install Linksys NSLU2 firmware version 2.3r63 or later
        as this supports NSF or Fat32.
        5. On the ATV, Go to DVD (which is NitoTV) - Network - Add Manual
        Share Point and enter the following details:
        6. Mount Name: can be anything you like
        7. Mount Type: smb
        8. Mount Address: enter the IP address of the Linksys NSLU2.
        9. Requires Authentication: Yes
        10. User Login: guest (this account is set up by the Linksys NSLU2 by
        default)
        11. Password: none
        12. Volume Path: In this case it was HDD_1_1_1 which was the default
        given it by the NSLU2.
        13. Auto Mount: I have this switched to off which means I must
        manually mount the volume each time I reset the aTV. Haven't tried
        changing this setting yet
        14. Click on Save Changes to store the above settings
        15. Mount the drive. You should then see a pause, then you will be
        brought back to the DVD Nito) Network Menu.
        If you go to DVD - Network on your aTV you should now see the name of
        the network drive you just created. Click on the network drive name
        to mount the drive.
        You should see the same name under the Files Menu or Media - Sapphire
        menu on AtvFlash version 3.2
        To change any of the settings simply select the network drive name
        and then push the right-button on your remote control.

        Thanks!
        TPH

        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "TinPan Harry"
        <TinPanHarry@...> wrote:

        > When I click on a folder on an XP machine, it allows me to
        > choose "Sharing and Security" and from there I can choose to share
        > folders or files on my network......
        >
        > On the NSLU2 (firmware 2.3r63), I have a FAT32 formatted external
        usb
        > drive connected. From my network I can get to the drive by
        browsing
        > the Network Neighborhood, but I don't see a way to share a folder
        from
        > the NSLU2 to the network. The firmware would allow me to do this if
        > left it formatted as ext3, but that won't work for me.
        >
        > The practical issue is that I want to mount a folder/share on the
        usb
        > drive from an Apple TV, which mounts afp, nfs and smb shares just
        fine
        > (no option for ext3). I can currently mount my XP box's internal
        hard
        > drive and USB attached drive, but it can't see the USB drive behind
        the
        > NSLU2.
        >
        > Is there a way to share folders behind the NSLU2 to the network as
        an
        > nfs or smb share?
        >
        > Thanks in advance,
        > TPH

      • stuart smith
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 15 9:20 PM
          Harry, it doesn't matter what the filesystem type is on the nslu2. They all get shared as SMB. I have 2 ext3 drives on my nslu2 and they share quite happily to my XP ssystems.

          Stuart

          <TinPanHarry@...> wrote:

          > When I click on a folder on an XP machine, it allows me to
          > choose "Sharing and Security" and from there I can choose to share
          > folders or files on my network......
          >
          > On the NSLU2 (firmware 2.3r63), I have a FAT32 formatted external
          usb
          > drive connected. From my network I can get to the drive by
          browsing
          > the Network Neighborhood, but I don't see a way to share a folder
          from
          > the NSLU2 to the network. The firmware would allow me to do this if
          > left it formatted as ext3, but that won't work for me.
          >
          > The practical issue is that I want to mount a folder/share on the
          usb
          > drive from an Apple TV, which mounts afp, nfs and smb shares just
          fine
          > (no option for ext3). I can currently mount my XP box's internal
          hard
          > drive and USB attached drive, but it can't see the USB drive behind
          the
          > NSLU2.
          >
          > Is there a way to share folders behind the NSLU2 to the network as
          an
          > nfs or smb share?
          >
          > Thanks in advance,
          > TPH

        • TinPan Harry
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 16 10:52 AM
            I found that as well.   I could not however get the ext3 format to share with the NitoTv application in a patched Apple TV.
            Thanks though, for sharing.  I am a linux noob and willing to learn!
            TPH