Re: [nslu2-general] NSLU2 IP 0,0,0,0

  • Mike (mwester)
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 4, 2008
      Michael Canavatchel wrote:

      > Going back to the Unslung readme, I realized that I had not "unslung"
      > the firmware onto my external hd. So I disconnected the hard drives,
      > telneted into redboot,

      You need to telnet into unslung, not the bootloader. The README details
      the sequence -- disconnect the disks, boot the device, use the web
      browser to enable telnet, then telnet into the device -- and you'll be
      prompted for the id and password, and be able to unsling to the hard drive.

      > but when I did, I was not prompted for a user
      > name or password. I found that strange, but when I tried to connect the
      > EXT3 hard disk, I was immediately disconnected from my telnet session. I
      > telneted in several more times with the same result, connect the drive,
      > get disconnected. On my last telnet session I began to poke around and
      > everything I typed, except 'help' returned an error.
      >
      > I thought maybe I needed to follow the readme and start over (No, I
      > didn't back up the original unslung flash.) so I re-flashed the slug
      > with Sercomm and Unslung 6.10 beta. I put the slug in upgrade mode with
      > the reset button and everything went perfectly, however when the slug
      > rebooted, I could no longer access it. I ran NetStat -an and I could see
      > the slug at IP 0,0,0,0 listening with the port numbers following the ip
      > address.

      What commands *did* you run when you were telnetted into redboot? From
      redboot you have the ability to do some interesting sorts of damage to
      the data in the flash, so at this point, you probably can't trust any
      saved settings.

      I'm also unclear on where you ran netstat -- since you couldn't run
      netstat on the slug, I'm assuming you ran it on your desktop system --
      in which case netstat will show you information about your desktop
      system and not the slug. But in any case, a listening address of
      0.0.0.0 is common, it just means "the host's IP, whatever it is".

      > I obviously can't telnet into the slug and the web interface no longer
      > works no matter what IP I enter. I can still get into upgrade mode with
      > the reset button but I have a feeling that re-flashing isn't going to do
      > anything unless I can specify a default IP address.

      Yes -- and it's easy to do so -- just flash the Linksys firmware, and
      follow the Linksys procedure to reset the device to factory defaults
      using the reset button (I don't recall what that is exactly, but
      basically you boot it up, wait until it beeps, then hold the reset
      button in while it's up and running for some period of time -- I think
      it beeps once or twice -- check the linksys docs, and then a restart
      should have the device appear at the default 192.168.1.77 address. From
      there you can fix up your network settings.

      > I've waded through the nslu2-linux.org site, wiki, FAQ and dozens of
      > pages on google but I can't find a solution. I do have hope because I
      > can still access the slug through upgrade mode.
      >
      > I know there is a genius or two in the group here, can someone help me?
      >
      > Thanks!
      > Mike C
    • Michael Canavatchel
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 5, 2008
        Hi Mike,

        I was confusing Telnet in the NSLU with _Telnet into RedBoot!_

        I'm going to start from the beginning again and maybe my pea brain will
        get it correct!!

        Thank you
        Mike C