RE: [nslu2-general] Re: Biggest disk supported - 1TB, 750GB, 500GB or just 250GB ?

  • Ben Formesyn
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 4 10:58 AM
      Thanks for the replies - Good to hear I still can get a good few year's more
      worth of use out of my Slug.

      I'm currently leaning towards picking up an Asaka USB (+eSATA) enclosure to
      use with a 750GB WD Greenpower disk - I'll search back for tips on
      upgrading.

      Ben
    • jl.050877@gmail.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 4 3:39 PM
        On Fri, Aug 01, 2008 at 10:42:13AM -0000, formesyn wrote:
        > There doesn't appear to be anyone using disks of 750GB or 1TB in size
        > though - anyone had any success with anything this big?

        In my experience, it depends on what you want to use the disks
        for. As a file server, it might work. To backup other PCs on the
        network, it might not.

        Most backup programs have a step where the directory of
        yesterday's files is copied (hard linked) to a directory for
        today's files and then the updates (differences) are collected via
        rsync. In my experience, the hard-linking step (cp -l) becomes
        prohibitively slow, e.g. may take a good part of a day, on large
        disks.

        Also, if you value your files, you probably want to run e2fsck
        regularly. In my experience, this also becomes extremely slow on
        large hard disks. For example, an e2fsck of a 500 GB hard disk,
        which might take a mere 20 to 30 minutes on a desktop, takes maybe
        five hours of thrashing on a slug.

        John