Re: vlc

  • nllittle2003
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 4, 2008
      Yes VLC will run on a slug.

      The issue is of course getting all those nitpickin parameters right.
      I took a look at how they used VLC in slugplayer (slugplayer.free.fr).
      Sure its in french but thats where yahoo.babelfish comes in and of
      course a french to english dictionary. The syntax throws me sometimes.

      Slugplayer is a PVR using PHP and sqllite on a web server. It has a
      lot of the functions you would use with Mythbox. VLC is used to do the
      recording and streaming with out the back-end that Mythbox has (A Slug
      killer).

      I have been messing with it for the last 6 months getting the text all
      converted to english, and changing things like tv channels, video
      formats and date/time formats.

      Now comes the little issue of the XMLTV feeds (there doen't seem to be
      any free feeds any more). Then getting all that to work here in the US
      (my XML foo is weak).

      So, YES VLC works great on a SLUG

      OS=NSLU2Debian

      73,
      Neil, WA4AZL
      JARS Forever!!
      www.jars.net

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "MIKi" <miklos.wenczl@...> wrote:

      > The last post is so old. Has anyone put VLC on a slug nowadays?
      >
      > Thanks for your answer in advance! Mik

    • MIKi
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 5, 2008
        Thanks for your answer. I will check the french site also.

        - Means your last sentence, that using VLC with Debian is also working
        on a Slug?

        Thanks for your help in advance, I am a real beginner.
        Mik
      • nllittle2003
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 6, 2008
          Yes there is a regular ARM distribution for Debian

          Look here
          http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Debian/HomePage
          http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/install.html

          Since they fixed the installer it runs pretty good. Takes a while
          though. Expect to spend at least a couple of hours working on it.
          Remember that you can only run Debian on a NSLU2 from a hard drive.
          Its not like unslung. Its a full blown debian system.

          I only had to start over once. First time I installed the NSLU2 it red
          lighted on the install. Just be patient and walk away for a while and
          do something else. When my first install red lighted, I had to drop
          back to the original Linksys firmware and then install debian again.

          I was using the sercomm firmware update tool (windows OS) at the time
          but it is real easy using upslug (linux) as well.
          http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Main/UpSlug

          It was a lot easier then going the redboot method.
          http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/TelnetIntoRedBoot

          Its always a good thing to know how to use the redboot method...just
          in case murphy comes to visit

          Good luck and have fun.