Re: [nslu2-general] Re: NSLU2 IP 0,0,0,0

  • Michael Canavatchel
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 3, 2008
      I did download the latest linksys firmware ver. 23 R63 although I
      realize that it
      may not work. I was contemplating installing the 4 pin serial header,
      and I already have a max233a serial kit from a WRT54g that is no longer
      working.

      Thanks for the advice, hopefully I'll get a chance to play with the slug
      this week.

      Mike C

      janne5011 wrote:

> [...]
      >
      > No garanti that will work.
      > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com
      > <mailto:nslu2-general%40yahoogroups.com>, Michael Canavatchel
      > <mcana77@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > (Running WinXP SP3 connected directly into the NSLU2 via ethernet)
      > >
      > > I am hoping that someone can help me figure out what happened to my
      > Slug!
      > >
      > > I had initially ran Sercomm and updated the NSLU firmware to
      > unslung
      > > 6.10 beta, of course I did NOT follow the directions explicitly, I
      > just
      > > wanted a simple file server that could be expanded at a later
      > date. I
      > > had an 80gig NTFS on USB2 and a 250gig EXT3 on USB1. I had
      > configured
      > > the slug for 192.168.1.121 fixed ip
      > >
      > > After several weeks I wanted to share our music across the share
      > using
      > > Firefly.
      > >
      > > Going back to the Unslung readme, I realized that I had
      > not "unslung"
      > > the firmware onto my external hd. So I disconnected the hard
      > drives,
      > > telneted into redboot, but when I did, I was not prompted for a
      > user
      > > name or password. I found that strange, but when I tried to connect
      > the
      > > EXT3 hard disk, I was immediately disconnected from my telnet
      > session. I
      > > telneted in several more times with the same result, connect the
      > drive,
      > > get disconnected. On my last telnet session I began to poke around
      > and
      > > everything I typed, except 'help' returned an error.
      > >
      > > I thought maybe I needed to follow the readme and start over (No, I
      > > didn't back up the original unslung flash.) so I re-flashed the
      > slug
      > > with Sercomm and Unslung 6.10 beta. I put the slug in upgrade mode
      > with
      > > the reset button and everything went perfectly, however when the
      > slug
      > > rebooted, I could no longer access it. I ran NetStat -an and I
      > could see
      > > the slug at IP 0,0,0,0 listening with the port numbers following
      > the ip
      > > address.
      > >
      > > I obviously can't telnet into the slug and the web interface no
      > longer
      > > works no matter what IP I enter. I can still get into upgrade mode
      > with
      > > the reset button but I have a feeling that re-flashing isn't going
      > to do
      > > anything unless I can specify a default IP address.
      > >
      > > I've waded through the nslu2-linux.org site, wiki, FAQ and dozens
      > of
      > > pages on google but I can't find a solution. I do have hope because
      > > can still access the slug through upgrade mode.
      > >
      > > I know there is a genius or two in the group here, can someone help

    • Mike (mwester)
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 4, 2008
        Michael Canavatchel wrote:

        > Going back to the Unslung readme, I realized that I had not "unslung"
        > the firmware onto my external hd. So I disconnected the hard drives,
        > telneted into redboot,

        You need to telnet into unslung, not the bootloader. The README details
        the sequence -- disconnect the disks, boot the device, use the web
        browser to enable telnet, then telnet into the device -- and you'll be
        prompted for the id and password, and be able to unsling to the hard drive.

        > but when I did, I was not prompted for a user
        > name or password. I found that strange, but when I tried to connect the
        > EXT3 hard disk, I was immediately disconnected from my telnet session. I
        > telneted in several more times with the same result, connect the drive,
        > get disconnected. On my last telnet session I began to poke around and
        > everything I typed, except 'help' returned an error.
        >
        > I thought maybe I needed to follow the readme and start over (No, I
        > didn't back up the original unslung flash.) so I re-flashed the slug
        > with Sercomm and Unslung 6.10 beta. I put the slug in upgrade mode with
        > the reset button and everything went perfectly, however when the slug
        > rebooted, I could no longer access it. I ran NetStat -an and I could see
        > the slug at IP 0,0,0,0 listening with the port numbers following the ip
        > address.

        What commands *did* you run when you were telnetted into redboot? From
        redboot you have the ability to do some interesting sorts of damage to
        the data in the flash, so at this point, you probably can't trust any
        saved settings.

        I'm also unclear on where you ran netstat -- since you couldn't run
        netstat on the slug, I'm assuming you ran it on your desktop system --
        in which case netstat will show you information about your desktop
        system and not the slug. But in any case, a listening address of
        0.0.0.0 is common, it just means "the host's IP, whatever it is".

        > I obviously can't telnet into the slug and the web interface no longer
        > works no matter what IP I enter. I can still get into upgrade mode with
        > the reset button but I have a feeling that re-flashing isn't going to do
        > anything unless I can specify a default IP address.

        Yes -- and it's easy to do so -- just flash the Linksys firmware, and
        follow the Linksys procedure to reset the device to factory defaults
        using the reset button (I don't recall what that is exactly, but
        basically you boot it up, wait until it beeps, then hold the reset
        button in while it's up and running for some period of time -- I think
        it beeps once or twice -- check the linksys docs, and then a restart
        should have the device appear at the default 192.168.1.77 address. From
        there you can fix up your network settings.

        > I've waded through the nslu2-linux.org site, wiki, FAQ and dozens of
        > pages on google but I can't find a solution. I do have hope because I
        > can still access the slug through upgrade mode.
        >
        > I know there is a genius or two in the group here, can someone help me?
        >
        > Thanks!
        > Mike C
      • Michael Canavatchel
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 5, 2008
          Hi Mike,

          I was confusing Telnet in the NSLU with _Telnet into RedBoot!_

          I'm going to start from the beginning again and maybe my pea brain will
          get it correct!!

          Thank you
          Mike C