Re: Biggest disk supported - 1TB, 750GB, 500GB or just 250GB ?

  • Marc
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 3, 2008
      Ben,

      I have been using Unslung 6.8 for a year+ and now for many months 6.10
      running with a 7-port Belkin USB 2 hub and one 300 GB, one 200GB and
      two 750 GB (Maxtor OneTouch/Seagate FreeAgent) and whatever 160GB and
      60GB external cases I have lying around. All filesystems are ext2/3
      and I did not do anything special in terms of swap space increase.

      So 750GB seems to work fine.

      Marc

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "formesyn" <ben@...> wrote:
      > There doesn't appear to be anyone using disks of 750GB or 1TB in size
      > though - anyone had any success with anything this big?...
    • Jim
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 3, 2008
        I've been using a Simpletech 1TB Duo Pro drive for over 6 months with
        no problems related to the NSLU2. I've had problems with 2 Simpletech
        drives, otherwise everything works nicely. I'm running the drive in
        RAID 0 mode and having slug autobackup to another (non-raid) drive at
        night.
      • Ian White
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 4, 2008
          I have been using essentially Unslung 6.8 (actually using virtually identical self-built "Unslung 6.7 alpha")
          with a 750GB drive quite happily for over 18 months now

          Yes I did increase the swap space to 1GB to allow for this larger drive

          The slug has been set to reboot once per week

          And apart from a power supply failure I have had no problems at all

          Cheers
          Ian W.

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 4, 2008
            Thanks for the replies - Good to hear I still can get a good few year's more
            worth of use out of my Slug.

            I'm currently leaning towards picking up an Asaka USB (+eSATA) enclosure to
            use with a 750GB WD Greenpower disk - I'll search back for tips on
            upgrading.

            Ben
          • jl.050877@gmail.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 4, 2008
              On Fri, Aug 01, 2008 at 10:42:13AM -0000, formesyn wrote:
              > There doesn't appear to be anyone using disks of 750GB or 1TB in size
              > though - anyone had any success with anything this big?

              In my experience, it depends on what you want to use the disks
              for. As a file server, it might work. To backup other PCs on the
              network, it might not.

              Most backup programs have a step where the directory of
              yesterday's files is copied (hard linked) to a directory for
              today's files and then the updates (differences) are collected via
              rsync. In my experience, the hard-linking step (cp -l) becomes
              prohibitively slow, e.g. may take a good part of a day, on large
              disks.

              Also, if you value your files, you probably want to run e2fsck
              regularly. In my experience, this also becomes extremely slow on
              large hard disks. For example, an e2fsck of a 500 GB hard disk,
              which might take a mere 20 to 30 minutes on a desktop, takes maybe
              five hours of thrashing on a slug.

              John