Biggest disk supported - 1TB, 750GB, 500GB or just 250GB ?

  • formesyn
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 1, 2008
      I've got a NSLU2 with Unslung 6.8 and it has been working well for
      over a year, attached to a 250GB disk on USB2.

      However, I need to add some more storage - and have been looking into
      a getting a second HDD to attach and natively format. Alternatively, I
      could replace the single disk+ enclosure it currently has and upgrade
      that ( as per Bryan's recent posts ..) but don't know if I'd run into
      the same issue.

      Searching the mailing list archives, the Wiki and also the Linksys
      forums it hasn't been possible to get a firm answer - I'm hoping
      someone on the mailing list has already done this and can confirm what
      they have got working.

      What I've found so far:

      - The 'Official' Linksys response seems to be 250GB is the maximum
      - I've found posts from users who appear to have been able to use
      500GB disks, but they noted they needed to increase the size of the
      swap partition (1MB for each GB of disk appeared to be recommended -
      but would this be an issue for a second disk without the OS?)

      There doesn't appear to be anyone using disks of 750GB or 1TB in size
      though - anyone had any success with anything this big?

      Cheers,

      Ben
    • Marc
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 3, 2008
        Ben,

        I have been using Unslung 6.8 for a year+ and now for many months 6.10
        running with a 7-port Belkin USB 2 hub and one 300 GB, one 200GB and
        two 750 GB (Maxtor OneTouch/Seagate FreeAgent) and whatever 160GB and
        60GB external cases I have lying around. All filesystems are ext2/3
        and I did not do anything special in terms of swap space increase.

        So 750GB seems to work fine.

        Marc

        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "formesyn" <ben@...> wrote:
        > There doesn't appear to be anyone using disks of 750GB or 1TB in size
        > though - anyone had any success with anything this big?...
      • Jim
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 3, 2008
          I've been using a Simpletech 1TB Duo Pro drive for over 6 months with
          no problems related to the NSLU2. I've had problems with 2 Simpletech
          drives, otherwise everything works nicely. I'm running the drive in
          RAID 0 mode and having slug autobackup to another (non-raid) drive at
          night.
        • Ian White
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 4, 2008
            I have been using essentially Unslung 6.8 (actually using virtually identical self-built "Unslung 6.7 alpha")
            with a 750GB drive quite happily for over 18 months now

            Yes I did increase the swap space to 1GB to allow for this larger drive

            The slug has been set to reboot once per week

            And apart from a power supply failure I have had no problems at all

            Cheers
            Ian W.

            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 4, 2008
              Thanks for the replies - Good to hear I still can get a good few year's more
              worth of use out of my Slug.

              I'm currently leaning towards picking up an Asaka USB (+eSATA) enclosure to
              use with a 750GB WD Greenpower disk - I'll search back for tips on
              upgrading.

              Ben
            • jl.050877@gmail.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 4, 2008
                On Fri, Aug 01, 2008 at 10:42:13AM -0000, formesyn wrote:
                > There doesn't appear to be anyone using disks of 750GB or 1TB in size
                > though - anyone had any success with anything this big?

                In my experience, it depends on what you want to use the disks
                for. As a file server, it might work. To backup other PCs on the
                network, it might not.

                Most backup programs have a step where the directory of
                yesterday's files is copied (hard linked) to a directory for
                today's files and then the updates (differences) are collected via
                rsync. In my experience, the hard-linking step (cp -l) becomes
                prohibitively slow, e.g. may take a good part of a day, on large
                disks.

                Also, if you value your files, you probably want to run e2fsck
                regularly. In my experience, this also becomes extremely slow on
                large hard disks. For example, an e2fsck of a 500 GB hard disk,
                which might take a mere 20 to 30 minutes on a desktop, takes maybe
                five hours of thrashing on a slug.

                John