NSLU2 IP 0,0,0,0

  • Michael Canavatchel
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 1, 2008
      (Running WinXP SP3 connected directly into the NSLU2 via ethernet)

      I am hoping that someone can help me figure out what happened to my Slug!

      I had initially ran Sercomm and updated the NSLU firmware to unslung
      6.10 beta, of course I did NOT follow the directions explicitly, I just
      wanted a simple file server that could be expanded at a later date. I
      had an 80gig NTFS on USB2 and a 250gig EXT3 on USB1. I had configured
      the slug for 192.168.1.121 fixed ip

      After several weeks I wanted to share our music across the share using
      Firefly.

      Going back to the Unslung readme, I realized that I had not "unslung"
      the firmware onto my external hd. So I disconnected the hard drives,
      telneted into redboot, but when I did, I was not prompted for a user
      name or password. I found that strange, but when I tried to connect the
      EXT3 hard disk, I was immediately disconnected from my telnet session. I
      telneted in several more times with the same result, connect the drive,
      get disconnected. On my last telnet session I began to poke around and
      everything I typed, except 'help' returned an error.

      I thought maybe I needed to follow the readme and start over (No, I
      didn't back up the original unslung flash.) so I re-flashed the slug
      with Sercomm and Unslung 6.10 beta. I put the slug in upgrade mode with
      the reset button and everything went perfectly, however when the slug
      rebooted, I could no longer access it. I ran NetStat -an and I could see
      the slug at IP 0,0,0,0 listening with the port numbers following the ip
      address.

      I obviously can't telnet into the slug and the web interface no longer
      works no matter what IP I enter. I can still get into upgrade mode with
      the reset button but I have a feeling that re-flashing isn't going to do
      anything unless I can specify a default IP address.

      I've waded through the nslu2-linux.org site, wiki, FAQ and dozens of
      pages on google but I can't find a solution. I do have hope because I
      can still access the slug through upgrade mode.

      I know there is a genius or two in the group here, can someone help me?

      Thanks!
      Mike C
    • janne5011
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 3, 2008
        I think you can try reflash it with linkys FW, go to webinterface
        choose restore defaults,then put in the IP, dns and so on as you
        want.
        after flash it again with unlsung and: follow the README=).

        No garanti that will work.
        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Michael Canavatchel
        <mcana77@...> wrote:

        > (Running WinXP SP3 connected directly into the NSLU2 via ethernet)
        >
        > I am hoping that someone can help me figure out what happened to my
        Slug!

        > I had initially ran Sercomm and updated the NSLU firmware to
        unslung
        > 6.10 beta, of course I did NOT follow the directions explicitly, I
        just
        > wanted a simple file server that could be expanded at a later
        date. I
        > had an 80gig NTFS on USB2 and a 250gig EXT3 on USB1. I had
        configured
        > the slug for 192.168.1.121 fixed ip
        >
        > After several weeks I wanted to share our music across the share
        using
        > Firefly.
        >
        > Going back to the Unslung readme, I realized that I had
        not "unslung"
        > the firmware onto my external hd. So I disconnected the hard
        drives,
        > telneted into redboot, but when I did, I was not prompted for a
        user
        > name or password. I found that strange, but when I tried to connect
        the
        > EXT3 hard disk, I was immediately disconnected from my telnet
        session. I
        > telneted in several more times with the same result, connect the
        drive,
        > get disconnected. On my last telnet session I began to poke around
        and
        > everything I typed, except 'help' returned an error.
        >
        > I thought maybe I needed to follow the readme and start over (No, I
        > didn't back up the original unslung flash.) so I re-flashed the
        slug
        > with Sercomm and Unslung 6.10 beta. I put the slug in upgrade mode
        with
        > the reset button and everything went perfectly, however when the
        slug
        > rebooted, I could no longer access it. I ran NetStat -an and I
        could see
        > the slug at IP 0,0,0,0 listening with the port numbers following
        the ip
        > address.
        >
        > I obviously can't telnet into the slug and the web interface no
        longer
        > works no matter what IP I enter. I can still get into upgrade mode
        with
        > the reset button but I have a feeling that re-flashing isn't going
        to do
        > anything unless I can specify a default IP address.
        >
        > I've waded through the nslu2-linux.org site, wiki, FAQ and dozens
        of
        > pages on google but I can't find a solution. I do have hope because
        > can still access the slug through upgrade mode.
        >
        > I know there is a genius or two in the group here, can someone help
        me?

        > Thanks!
        > Mike C

      • Michael Canavatchel
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 3, 2008
          I did download the latest linksys firmware ver. 23 R63 although I
          realize that it
          may not work. I was contemplating installing the 4 pin serial header,
          and I already have a max233a serial kit from a WRT54g that is no longer
          working.

          Thanks for the advice, hopefully I'll get a chance to play with the slug
          this week.

          Mike C

          janne5011 wrote:

> [...]
          > could see
          > > the slug at IP 0,0,0,0 listening with the port numbers following
          > the ip
          > > address.
          > >
          > > I obviously can't telnet into the slug and the web interface no
          > longer
          > > works no matter what IP I enter. I can still get into upgrade mode
          > with
          > > the reset button but I have a feeling that re-flashing isn't going
          > to do
          > > anything unless I can specify a default IP address.
          > >
          > > I've waded through the nslu2-linux.org site, wiki, FAQ and dozens
          > of
          > > pages on google but I can't find a solution. I do have hope because
          > > can still access the slug through upgrade mode.
          > >
          > > I know there is a genius or two in the group here, can someone help

        • Mike (mwester)
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 4, 2008
            Michael Canavatchel wrote:

            > Going back to the Unslung readme, I realized that I had not "unslung"
            > the firmware onto my external hd. So I disconnected the hard drives,
            > telneted into redboot,

            You need to telnet into unslung, not the bootloader. The README details
            the sequence -- disconnect the disks, boot the device, use the web
            browser to enable telnet, then telnet into the device -- and you'll be
            prompted for the id and password, and be able to unsling to the hard drive.

            > but when I did, I was not prompted for a user
            > name or password. I found that strange, but when I tried to connect the
            > EXT3 hard disk, I was immediately disconnected from my telnet session. I
            > telneted in several more times with the same result, connect the drive,
            > get disconnected. On my last telnet session I began to poke around and
            > everything I typed, except 'help' returned an error.
            >
            > I thought maybe I needed to follow the readme and start over (No, I
            > didn't back up the original unslung flash.) so I re-flashed the slug
            > with Sercomm and Unslung 6.10 beta. I put the slug in upgrade mode with
            > the reset button and everything went perfectly, however when the slug
            > rebooted, I could no longer access it. I ran NetStat -an and I could see
            > the slug at IP 0,0,0,0 listening with the port numbers following the ip
            > address.

            What commands *did* you run when you were telnetted into redboot? From
            redboot you have the ability to do some interesting sorts of damage to
            the data in the flash, so at this point, you probably can't trust any
            saved settings.

            I'm also unclear on where you ran netstat -- since you couldn't run
            netstat on the slug, I'm assuming you ran it on your desktop system --
            in which case netstat will show you information about your desktop
            system and not the slug. But in any case, a listening address of
            0.0.0.0 is common, it just means "the host's IP, whatever it is".

            > I obviously can't telnet into the slug and the web interface no longer
            > works no matter what IP I enter. I can still get into upgrade mode with
            > the reset button but I have a feeling that re-flashing isn't going to do
            > anything unless I can specify a default IP address.

            Yes -- and it's easy to do so -- just flash the Linksys firmware, and
            follow the Linksys procedure to reset the device to factory defaults
            using the reset button (I don't recall what that is exactly, but
            basically you boot it up, wait until it beeps, then hold the reset
            button in while it's up and running for some period of time -- I think
            it beeps once or twice -- check the linksys docs, and then a restart
            should have the device appear at the default 192.168.1.77 address. From
            there you can fix up your network settings.

            > I've waded through the nslu2-linux.org site, wiki, FAQ and dozens of
            > pages on google but I can't find a solution. I do have hope because I
            > can still access the slug through upgrade mode.
            >
            > I know there is a genius or two in the group here, can someone help me?
            >
            > Thanks!
            > Mike C
          • Michael Canavatchel
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 5, 2008
              Hi Mike,

              I was confusing Telnet in the NSLU with _Telnet into RedBoot!_

              I'm going to start from the beginning again and maybe my pea brain will
              get it correct!!

              Thank you
              Mike C