Re: vlc

  • MIKi
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 2, 2008
      The last post is so old. Has anyone put VLC on a slug nowadays?

      Thanks for your answer in advance! Mik
    • nllittle2003
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 4, 2008
        Yes VLC will run on a slug.

        The issue is of course getting all those nitpickin parameters right.
        I took a look at how they used VLC in slugplayer (slugplayer.free.fr).
        Sure its in french but thats where yahoo.babelfish comes in and of
        course a french to english dictionary. The syntax throws me sometimes.

        Slugplayer is a PVR using PHP and sqllite on a web server. It has a
        lot of the functions you would use with Mythbox. VLC is used to do the
        recording and streaming with out the back-end that Mythbox has (A Slug
        killer).

        I have been messing with it for the last 6 months getting the text all
        converted to english, and changing things like tv channels, video
        formats and date/time formats.

        Now comes the little issue of the XMLTV feeds (there doen't seem to be
        any free feeds any more). Then getting all that to work here in the US
        (my XML foo is weak).

        So, YES VLC works great on a SLUG

        OS=NSLU2Debian

        73,
        Neil, WA4AZL
        JARS Forever!!
        www.jars.net

        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 5, 2008
          Thanks for your answer. I will check the french site also.

          - Means your last sentence, that using VLC with Debian is also working
          on a Slug?

          Thanks for your help in advance, I am a real beginner.
          Mik
        • nllittle2003
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 6, 2008
            Yes there is a regular ARM distribution for Debian

            Look here
            http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Debian/HomePage
            http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/install.html

            Since they fixed the installer it runs pretty good. Takes a while
            though. Expect to spend at least a couple of hours working on it.
            Remember that you can only run Debian on a NSLU2 from a hard drive.
            Its not like unslung. Its a full blown debian system.

            I only had to start over once. First time I installed the NSLU2 it red
            lighted on the install. Just be patient and walk away for a while and
            do something else. When my first install red lighted, I had to drop
            back to the original Linksys firmware and then install debian again.

            I was using the sercomm firmware update tool (windows OS) at the time
            but it is real easy using upslug (linux) as well.
            http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Main/UpSlug

            It was a lot easier then going the redboot method.
            http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/TelnetIntoRedBoot

            Its always a good thing to know how to use the redboot method...just
            in case murphy comes to visit

            Good luck and have fun.