Trying to upgrade to a larger disk

  • montyny1
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 21, 2008
      Ok, so I thought it would be a simple thing to upgrade my slug to a
      newer disk. I thought I'd use a live GPartED cd. Everything seemed to
      go OK initially - until I tried powering on the slug and logging in.

      So, after reading the web I see that the disk / partition needs to be
      natively formatted. I tried replacing the original disk, but that
      seemed to have problems too.

      I haven't tried mounting the disks elsewhere yet - hopefully they're
      not both wiped!

      So I couldn't seem to get in to my slug at all. It didn't help that I
      was confused with what I had installed, so I tried flashing with the
      latest unslung package, then realized that I had slugOS installed. I
      flashed with that, after rebooting, the ready led was flashing orange
      and red. The network light is mostly solid, but I can't find it on my
      network, including 192.168.1.77.

      I reflashed to unslung and I was able to hit port 80 on 192.168.1.77
      but then reflashing back to slugOS left it in the flashing yellow/red
      state.

      How do I get back to the slug?

      Assuming I can get back in to the slug - do I need to reformat all the
      partitions, or just the system partition for slugOS?

      Thanks - Bryan.
    • montyny1
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 27, 2008
        Just to share, I did seem to get this working - of course a lot harder
        than I ever imagined.

        I ended up doing a resetsysconf form the wiki. I did modify the turnup
        script so it din't overwrite the original disk, then formatted the new
        disk from my slug and tried rsync to copy to the new disk. However, it
        seemed that maybe my sata <-> usb device is dodgy. I ended up
        connecting the new drive directly to another PC (running diags on it),
        then adding the original drive as a usb device and booting puppy
        linux. With that I was able to rsync and now it all seems to be
        working OK.

        Bryan.