Re: nOOb needs help!

  • blearyeyedyooper
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 18, 2008
      (Additional info)

      I found later that while the USB drive reads "Formatted" on the drive
      web interface, clicking drive "logs" says format failed. Same results
      when I tried format again.

      Also, I was not able to map my network drive and am only able to access
      slug through webpage.

      My thoughts are to somehow flash the firmware and start over or to map
      the drives onto the network and put firmware on 1 gig usb.

      ANY thoughts or comments GREATLY appreciated!

    • Mike (mwester)
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 18, 2008
        blearyeyedyooper wrote:
        > I bought a refurb Slug and it CAME unslung with 6.8beta (Firmware
        > Version: V2.3R63-uNSLUng-6.8-beta).

        Safety Rule: ALWAYS reflash a known firmware onto all used devices;
        never trust what's installed on them.

        In the case of the NSLU2, the first flash should be the stock Linksys
        firmware, and then follow the Linksys instructions to reset the device
        to factory defaults, either using the reset button or the web interface.

        > Time to use "SercommFirmwareUpdater". Unslung 6.10 here I come! I
        > turned off the slug, held reset button pressed power button. I held
        > the reset button until the lights blinked. Ready for firmware, but I
        > CANT FIND THE SLUG ON THE NETWORK!!!!!!
        >
        > Please help me. I fear for myself and others.....

        You've really not provided us with any information to help you. How
        have you determined that it's not on the network? What does your
        network look like (wireless? router? isolated segment? cross-over cable?)

        Mike (mwester)
      • blearyeyedyooper
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 18, 2008

          Sorry for the vagueness of the previous posts. I was tired and burned
          out!

          This is probably more info than you need, but I'd rather give you too
          much info than not enough! Here goes:

          I have the slug plugged into a linksys 54gsx wireless router and a
          linksys cable modem. I have 1 vista premium laptop, 1 xp home laptop,
          1 G4 mac 10.4 desktop, 1xp home desktop & 1 xp media center desktop.

          Anyway, I could find the slug in "my network places" but was not able
          to map the drives. The only way to see the disks is through the web
          interface, through which I could not add to or delete the files
          previously on the disk.

          After I held "reset", turned on the slug and released "reset" when
          the lights started alternating, I tried to flash using
          the "SercommFirmwareUpdater". The updater could not find the slug.
          This was all done wirelessly. Once through xp laptop and once through
          vista laptop.

          It looks to be a good idea to flash back to origional linkys firmware
          before anything else. Tonight I will do it while wired directly and
          update.
        • Mike (mwester)
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 18, 2008
            blearyeyedyooper wrote:
            > Sorry for the vagueness of the previous posts. I was tired and burned
            > out!
            >
            > This is probably more info than you need, but I'd rather give you too
            > much info than not enough! Here goes:
            >
            > I have the slug plugged into a linksys 54gsx wireless router and a
            > linksys cable modem. I have 1 vista premium laptop, 1 xp home laptop,
            > 1 G4 mac 10.4 desktop, 1xp home desktop & 1 xp media center desktop.
            >
            > Anyway, I could find the slug in "my network places" but was not able
            > to map the drives. The only way to see the disks is through the web
            > interface, through which I could not add to or delete the files
            > previously on the disk.
            >
            > After I held "reset", turned on the slug and released "reset" when
            > the lights started alternating, I tried to flash using
            > the "SercommFirmwareUpdater". The updater could not find the slug.
            > This was all done wirelessly. Once through xp laptop and once through
            > vista laptop.
            >

            > It looks to be a good idea to flash back to origional linkys firmware
            > before anything else. Tonight I will do it while wired directly and
            > update.

            Wireless networks seldom (if ever?) work with upslug2 or the Sercomm
            Firmware Updater. This is becoming a Frequently Asked Question -- can
            you add a note to mention that one must never reflash using wireless to
            whatever wiki pages you would have seen it on, had that info been present?

            Thanks,
            Mike (mwester)
          • John
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 18, 2008
              Mike,

              On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 09:44:32PM -0500, Mike (mwester) wrote:
              > Wireless networks seldom (if ever?) work with upslug2 or the Sercomm
              > Firmware Updater.

              Just curious: Why is that?

              John
            • blearyeyedyooper
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 18, 2008

                > Wireless networks seldom (if ever?) work with upslug2 or the Sercomm
                > Firmware Updater. This is becoming a Frequently Asked Question -- can
                > you add a note to mention that one must never reflash using wireless
                > whatever wiki pages you would have seen it on, had that info been
                present?

                > Thanks,
                > Mike (mwester)

                Success! Wired directly the upgrade went beautifully! I have updated the
                wiki here
                <http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/UseTheResetButtonToEnterUpgradeMo\
                de> to reflect the importance of wiring slug directly to the computer.

                Thanks Mike!

              • Rod Whitby
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 19, 2008
                  The upgrade protocol is carried on custom ethernet packets, at a lower level than IP, UDP or TCP.
                  We've found that just about all wireless access points do not pass that custom ethernet packet type. Same for routers. Safest is a direct connection or a dumb hub or switch. Anything more complex is likely to filter out these packets.
                  -- Rod