Re: SLugOS/BE as NFS client

  • beerman_wendel
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 17, 2008
      After spending some more hours an that subject, I did not make any
      progress ...

      Could it be that SlugOS/BE does not support NFS as a file system after
      all and therefor cannot act as a NFS CLIENT?

      Any hint is appreciated.

      Rigas
    • Mike (mwester)
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 18, 2008
        beerman_wendel wrote:
        > After spending some more hours an that subject, I did not make any
        > progress ...
        >
        > Could it be that SlugOS/BE does not support NFS as a file system after
        > all and therefor cannot act as a NFS CLIENT?

        SlugOS works very nicely as an NFS client, as well as an NFS server.

        > Any hint is appreciated.

        Well, you haven't provided any information on the issue in this email.
        If you've done so earlier, and not gotten any response, then perhaps
        you've not asked a question that anyone can respond to -- rethinking and
        rephrasing the issue may be helpful. Or at least a URL to the archived
        email that you send earlier...

        > Rigas

        Mike (mwester)
      • beerman_wendel
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 19, 2008
          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Mike (mwester)" <mwester@...>
          wrote:

          > beerman_wendel wrote:
          > > After spending some more hours an that subject, I did not make any
          > > progress ...
          > >
          > > Could it be that SlugOS/BE does not support NFS as a file system after
          > > all and therefor cannot act as a NFS CLIENT?
          >
          > SlugOS works very nicely as an NFS client, as well as an NFS server.
          >
          > > Any hint is appreciated.
          >
          > Well, you haven't provided any information on the issue in this email.
          > If you've done so earlier, and not gotten any response, then perhaps
          > you've not asked a question that anyone can respond to -- rethinking and
          > rephrasing the issue may be helpful. Or at least a URL to the archived
          > email that you send earlier...
          >
          > > Rigas
          >
          > Mike (mwester)

          Hi Mike,

          just have a look at the top of the tread, please ... :-)

          Rigas
        • Mike (mwester)
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 19, 2008
            beerman_wendel wrote:

            > just have a look at the top of the tread, please ... :-)
            >
            > Rigas

            There is no thread at the top :) There are many different ways to
            get/read the email from the list, and not all viewers of the email will
            have all the messages in their inbox. In general, if a thread has been
            open for a while, it's worth summarizing the situation anew for those
            who have come into the thread in the middle, or for those who have lost
            the context of the thread -- this applies to any internet mail-list.

            I guess if I get bored today, I can go off to the Yahoo archives and
            search to see what your original problem might be...

            Mike (mwester)
          • beerman_wendel
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 19, 2008
              Well ... here comes the message again - I think it has all the
              necessary details ...

              Rigas

              Hello,

              I installed SLUGOS/BE on SLUG2 and want to attach an nfs share from
              SLUG1 (Openslug 3.10) to it.

              I exported the share in SLUG1 (added the following line to etc\exports:)

              /opt/mp3 192.168.xxx.xxx(ro,no_root_squash,sync)

              On SLUG2 im tried to mount that share with:

              mount SLUG1:/opt/mp3 /opt/music

              I received:

              mount: unknown filesystem type 'nfs'

              Does that mean, that SLUGOS/BE does not support NFS?
              Or do I just have to install some packages?
            • Mike (mwester)
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 19, 2008
                beerman_wendel wrote:
                > Well ... here comes the message again - I think it has all the
                > necessary details ...
                >
                > Rigas
                >

                > Hello,
                >
                > I installed SLUGOS/BE on SLUG2 and want to attach an nfs share from
                > SLUG1 (Openslug 3.10) to it.
                >
                > I exported the share in SLUG1 (added the following line to etc\exports:)
                >
                > /opt/mp3 192.168.xxx.xxx(ro,no_root_squash,sync)
                >
                > On SLUG2 im tried to mount that share with:
                >
                > mount SLUG1:/opt/mp3 /opt/music
                >
                > I received:
                >
                > mount: unknown filesystem type 'nfs'
                >
                > Does that mean, that SLUGOS/BE does not support NFS?
                > Or do I just have to install some packages?

                It means you need to install packages.
                http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/OpenSlug/InstallNFS

                Mike (mwester)
              • beerman_wendel
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 20, 2008
                  wrote:

                  > beerman_wendel wrote:
                  > > Well ... here comes the message again - I think it has all the
                  > > necessary details ...
                  > >
                  > > Rigas
                  > >

                  > > Hello,
                  > >
                  > > I installed SLUGOS/BE on SLUG2 and want to attach an nfs share from
                  > > SLUG1 (Openslug 3.10) to it.
                  > >
                  > > I exported the share in SLUG1 (added the following line to
                  etc\exports:)

                  > > /opt/mp3 192.168.xxx.xxx(ro,no_root_squash,sync)
                  > >
                  > > On SLUG2 im tried to mount that share with:
                  > >
                  > > mount SLUG1:/opt/mp3 /opt/music
                  > >
                  > > I received:
                  > >
                  > > mount: unknown filesystem type 'nfs'
                  > >
                  > > Does that mean, that SLUGOS/BE does not support NFS?
                  > > Or do I just have to install some packages?
                  >
                  > It means you need to install packages.
                  > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/OpenSlug/InstallNFS
                  >
                  > Mike (mwester)

                  Thanks for the answer.

                  I had worked through that howto and all the packages listed there have
                  been installed on the NFS-Server (Slug1, OpenSlug 3.1) and the
                  NFS-client (Slug2, SlugOSBE).

                  The server part works fine; the question is , whether the client slug
                  with SlugOS/BE is at all able to mount a NFS share from an NFS server.

                  On the client I get the message: "mount: unknown filesystem type 'nfs'"

                  I installed the nfsd kernel module on the client. Do I have to
                  activate it somehow?

                  Rigas
                • Mike (mwester)
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 20, 2008
                    beerman_wendel wrote:
                    > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Mike (mwester)" <mwester@...>
                    > wrote:
                    >> beerman_wendel wrote:
                    >>> Well ... here comes the message again - I think it has all the
                    >>> necessary details ...
                    >>>
                    >>> Rigas
                    >>>

                    >>> Hello,
                    >>>
                    >>> I installed SLUGOS/BE on SLUG2 and want to attach an nfs share from
                    >>> SLUG1 (Openslug 3.10) to it.
                    >>>
                    >>> I exported the share in SLUG1 (added the following line to
                    > etc\exports:)
                    >>> /opt/mp3 192.168.xxx.xxx(ro,no_root_squash,sync)
                    >>>
                    >>> On SLUG2 im tried to mount that share with:
                    >>>
                    >>> mount SLUG1:/opt/mp3 /opt/music
                    >>>
                    >>> I received:
                    >>>
                    >>> mount: unknown filesystem type 'nfs'
                    >>>
                    >>> Does that mean, that SLUGOS/BE does not support NFS?
                    >>> Or do I just have to install some packages?
                    >> It means you need to install packages.
                    >> http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/OpenSlug/InstallNFS
                    >>
                    >> Mike (mwester)
                    >>

                    > Thanks for the answer.
                    >
                    > I had worked through that howto and all the packages listed there have
                    > been installed on the NFS-Server (Slug1, OpenSlug 3.1) and the
                    > NFS-client (Slug2, SlugOSBE).
                    >
                    > The server part works fine; the question is , whether the client slug
                    > with SlugOS/BE is at all able to mount a NFS share from an NFS server.
                    >
                    > On the client I get the message: "mount: unknown filesystem type 'nfs'"
                    >
                    > I installed the nfsd kernel module on the client. Do I have to
                    > activate it somehow?

                    You need to install the package named "kernel-module-nfs" to get the
                    client side of things. Once you do that, it should know about the nfs
                    filesystem. If that doesn't do it, there have been reports that a
                    "depmod -a" command is required and/or a reboot to get the system to
                    recognize the new kernel module.

                    As I poke about, though, I notice that the rpcbind executable has gone
                    AWOL -- so if your mount command appears to hang, <ctrl>-c out of it,
                    and try it again with the "-o nolock" option, e.g.:

                    mount -o nolock myserver:/bigfilesystem /mnt

                    > Rigas

                    Mike (mwester)
                  • beerman_wendel
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 20, 2008
                      wrote:

                      > beerman_wendel wrote:
                      > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Mike (mwester)" <mwester@>
                      > > wrote:

                      > > etc\exports:)

                      > >> It means you need to install packages.
                      > >> http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/OpenSlug/InstallNFS
                      > >>
                      > >> Mike (mwester)
                      > >>

                      > > Thanks for the answer.
                      > >
                      > > I had worked through that howto and all the packages listed there have
                      > > been installed on the NFS-Server (Slug1, OpenSlug 3.1) and the
                      > > NFS-client (Slug2, SlugOSBE).
                      > >
                      > > The server part works fine; the question is , whether the client slug
                      > > with SlugOS/BE is at all able to mount a NFS share from an NFS server.
                      > >
                      > > On the client I get the message: "mount: unknown filesystem type
                      'nfs'"

                      > > I installed the nfsd kernel module on the client. Do I have to
                      > > activate it somehow?
                      >
                      > You need to install the package named "kernel-module-nfs" to get the
                      > client side of things. Once you do that, it should know about the nfs
                      > filesystem. If that doesn't do it, there have been reports that a
                      > "depmod -a" command is required and/or a reboot to get the system to
                      > recognize the new kernel module.
                      >
                      > As I poke about, though, I notice that the rpcbind executable has gone
                      > AWOL -- so if your mount command appears to hang, <ctrl>-c out of it,
                      > and try it again with the "-o nolock" option, e.g.:
                      >
                      > mount -o nolock myserver:/bigfilesystem /mnt
                      >
                      > > Rigas
                      >
                      > Mike (mwester)

                      Hi Mike,

                      THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!

                      I installed "kernel-module-nfs", did depmode -a ...
                      and voila, it works.

                      Many happy thanx from Munich,

                      Rigas
                    • beerman_wendel
                      Message 10 of 11 , May 13, 2009
                        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "beerman_wendel" <beerman_wendel@...> wrote:

                        > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Mike (mwester)" <mwester@>
                        > wrote:
                        > >
                        > > beerman_wendel wrote:
                        > > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Mike (mwester)" <mwester@>

                        > > > etc\exports:)

                        > > > Thanks for the answer.
                        > > >
                        > > > I had worked through that howto and all the packages listed there have
                        > > > been installed on the NFS-Server (Slug1, OpenSlug 3.1) and the
                        > > > NFS-client (Slug2, SlugOSBE).
                        > > >
                        > > > The server part works fine; the question is , whether the client slug
                        > > > with SlugOS/BE is at all able to mount a NFS share from an NFS server.
                        > > >
                        > > > On the client I get the message: "mount: unknown filesystem type
                        > 'nfs'"
                        > > >
                        > > > I installed the nfsd kernel module on the client. Do I have to
                        > > > activate it somehow?
                        > >
                        > > You need to install the package named "kernel-module-nfs" to get the
                        > > client side of things. Once you do that, it should know about the nfs
                        > > filesystem. If that doesn't do it, there have been reports that a
                        > > "depmod -a" command is required and/or a reboot to get the system to
                        > > recognize the new kernel module.
                        > >
                        > > As I poke about, though, I notice that the rpcbind executable has gone
                        > > AWOL -- so if your mount command appears to hang, <ctrl>-c out of it,
                        > > and try it again with the "-o nolock" option, e.g.:
                        > >
                        > > mount -o nolock myserver:/bigfilesystem /mnt
                        > >
                        > > > Rigas
                        > >
                        > > Mike (mwester)
                        > >

                        > Hi Mike,
                        >
                        > THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!
                        >
                        > I installed "kernel-module-nfs", did depmode -a ...
                        > and voila, it works.
                        >
                        > Many happy thanx from Munich,
                        >
                        > Rigas

                        After many month of perfect and stable nfs operation, both slugs crushed during a power outage the other day.

                        Both run ok now, but when I try to establish the nfs connection from the client side, I get this in return:

                        "mount: RPC: Program not registered"

                        (The same message also comes when the slug starts ... as I can tell from dmesg.)

                        /sbin/portmap is running

                        Any ideas?

                        Rigas