Re: [nslu2-general] Re: Samba

  • Robert Hammond
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 10, 2008
      In message <g50tks+fv4a@...>, Dominion Knight <joe@...>
      writes
      >--- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Robert Hammond <rob.hammond@...>
      >wrote:
      >>
      >> I also had this problem after upgrading from 3.0.x to 3.2.0 with my
      >> Unslung NSLU2. And this fix worked for me, unsure why this is needed
      >> because the earlier version would work quite happily without specifying
      >> any interfaces. Note that I run my system on a different sub net
      >> 192.168.2.0. My interfaces line is :-
      >>
      >> interfaces = 192.168.2.77/24, ixp0, lo
      >>
      >> Will add this to the relevant Wiki page later tonight.
      >
      >Hello,
      >
      >I've been trying to get samba3 up on my Unslung 6.8 slug for a while
      >and can't get it working. I implemented the change to the interfaces
      >line, but this doesn't seem to help.
      >
      >I have even tried a very basic config file (per the samba site) with
      >the following basic setup:
      >
      >[global]
      >workgroup = MSHOME
      >netbios name = nslu2
      >interfaces = 192.168.1.77/24, ixp0, lo
      >[share1]
      >path = /share/hdd/data
      >
      >and still I can't access the share, even using smbclient on the slug:
      >
      ># smbclient -L localhost
      >protocol negotiation failed
      >#
      >
      >If I use the second "working" configuration on the wiki page
      >(http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Optware/Samba), with the single
      >modification of adding the interfaces = 192.168.1.77/24, ixp0, lo line
      >to the configuration, I get the following from smbclient:
      >
      ># smbclient -L localhost
      >Connection to localhost failed (Error NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME)
      >#
      >
      >In my samba log file (/opt/var/samba/log.smbd) there are a few errors
      >about primtcap and several "transport endpoint is not coneected"
      >errors, in addition to a couple of others:
      >
      ># cat log.smbd
      >[1969/12/31 19:24:46, 0] source/printing/pcap.c:pcap_cache_reload(158)
      > Unable to open printcap file /opt/etc/printcap for read!
      <Snip>
      The printcap error is because Samba is trying to open a non existent
      file. Easily fixed by creating a blank file by logging in as root at a
      console prompt :-

      touch /opt/etc/printcap

      chmod 0644 /opt/etc/printcap

      --
      Robert Hammond
      PGP:0x154144DA
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 27, 2008
        I'm having a similar problem trying to install samba 3.2.

        It seems that the interfaces on the nslu2 aren't being recognized by
        samba 3.2.

        I haven't been able to figure out the solution, so for now I've
        reverted back to samba 2.

        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Dominion Knight" <joe@...> wrote:

> [...]
        >
        > # cat log.smbd
        > [1969/12/31 19:24:46, 0] source/printing/pcap.c:pcap_cache_reload(158)
        > Unable to open printcap file /opt/etc/printcap for read!
        > [1969/12/31 19:24:46, 0] source/printing/pcap.c:pcap_cache_reload(158)
        > Unable to open printcap file /opt/etc/printcap for read!
        > [1969/12/31 19:24:47, 0] source/lib/interface.c:load_interfaces(540)
        > WARNING: no network interfaces found
        > [1969/12/31 19:24:49, 0] source/smbd/server.c:open_sockets_smbd(547)
        > open_sockets_smbd: No sockets available to bind to.
        > [1969/12/31 19:26:25, 0] source/smbd/server.c:main(1208)
        > smbd version 3.2.0 started.
        > Copyright Andrew Tridgell and the Samba Team 1992-2008
        > [1969/12/31 19:26:25, 0] source/printing/pcap.c:pcap_cache_reload(158)
        > Unable to open printcap file /opt/etc/printcap for read!
        > [1969/12/31 19:26:25, 0] source/printing/pcap.c:pcap_cache_reload(158)
        > Unable to open printcap file /opt/etc/printcap for read!
        > [1969/12/31 19:27:09, 0]
        > source/lib/util_sock.c:get_peer_addr_internal(1596)
        > getpeername failed. Error was Transport endpoint is not connected
        > [1969/12/31 19:27:09, 0]
        > source/lib/util_sock.c:get_peer_addr_internal(1596)
        > getpeername failed. Error was Transport endpoint is not connected
        > #
        >
        > Here is a copy of the modified smb.conf if needed (despite the
        > comments my nslu2's IP is 192.168.1.77):
        >
        > # Samba config file created using SWAT
        > # from 192.168.2.50 (192.168.2.50)
        > # Date: 2007/09/25 20:35:19
        >
        > [global]
        > workgroup = MSHOME
        > server string = Samba %v Network Drive
        > netbios name = blackrock
        > interfaces = 192.168.1.77/24, ixp0, lo
        > bind interfaces only = Yes
        > map to guest = Bad User
        > null passwords = Yes
        > guest account = guest
        > log file = /opt/var/samba/log.%m
        > max log size = 10
        > name resolve order = wins bcast
        > socket options = SO_SNDBUF=8192 SO_RCVBUF=8192
        > load printers = No
        > printcap name = /opt/etc/printcap
        > dns proxy = No
        > ldap ssl = no
        > config file = /opt/etc/samba/smb.conf
        > lock directory = /var/samba3
        > pid directory = /var/samba3
        > create mask = 0771
        > force create mode = 0660
        > force directory mode = 0771
        > hosts allow = 192.168., 172., 10., localhost
        >
        > [ADMIN 1]
        > comment = Full Data Partition
        > path = /
        > valid users = @administrators
        > write list = @administrators
        >
        > [DISK 1]
        > comment = Public Folder Tree For Everyone
        > path = /public/
        > valid users = @administrators, @everyone
        > write list = @administrators, @everyone
        > read only = No
        > guest ok = Yes
        >
        > There was no problem under samba 2. Any assistance would be greatly

      • diego_tech01
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 3, 2011
          I was able to get Samba working with help from this site. http://www.pogoplugged.com/forum/thread/15812/Optware-problems-on-Pogoplug-Pro/

          I am unsure if Samba is actually running. SWAT says nmbd is running, but smbd is not running. Even when I start it. Smbstatus displays the following.

          [root@Pogoplug init.d]# smbstatus

          Samba version 2.2.12
          Service uid gid pid machine

          No locked files

          I have added my own user "nobody" and changed the password. I have tried connecting to the server from OSX finder. It asks me for the user/password and the user I created, but it fails.

          So I'm not sure at this point if it's running or not. Or why it won't connect.
        • bruce turrie
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 3, 2011
            I don't use SWAT myself, but if smbd isn't running then Samba isn't working. You might try running:

            testparm

            Running testparm is usually a good idea after making changes to samba configuration. In this case it will tell you if you have
            any samba configuration errors that are keeping smbd from running. If so presumably they can be fixed using SWAT or by directly editing:

            /opt/etc/samba/smb.conf

            There are multiple examples of working smb.conf files for pogoplugs on the internet you can compare your file with. There's one here:

            https://turriebuntu.wordpress.com/pogoplugdockstar-pages/add-samba-to-your-pogoplug/

            Other than that I guess I'd need more information before I could help much.

            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 4, 2011
              To check to see if smbd and nmbd is running, Try "ps |grep mbd" or "ps -ef|grep mbd" if you added the extra utils packages. Also there have been problems with samba2, you might want to change to samba3. See http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Optware/Plugadditions bottom of the page. If you are still having problems, might need a copy of your smb.conf to check, the ps status, the "mount" status, and "df -h".