Re: HD running all the time ,UpNp device for streaming

  • bobbyshafter27
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 9 5:59 PM
      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "bloedmann999"
      <Brian_Dorling@...> wrote:

      > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "bobbyshafter27"
      > <bobbyshafter27@> wrote:
      > >
      > > My slug is running unslung on my WD 500g drive on usb1 .
      > > Before i unslung it to my hd the drive activity light would not flash
      > > until i access the drive.
      > > Now that i unslung it to my drive the activity light flash every 3-4
      > > sec.Anyone experience this problem.
      > >
      > > I planning on the purchase of a upnp device to stream my music to.
      > > Found a discontinued linksys wireless unit the problem it only support
      > > WEP i only use WPA ,wep is broken ,is there a device that is not too
      > > expensive that support wpa.
      > >
      > Hi,
      >
      > I have my WD disk spinning down correctly on unslung. Make sure you
      > follow the instructions to put /var and /dev on ram disk. Also, my
      > disks spin down themselves when inactive, so I do not need to send any
      > commands from the slug. All I need to do is make sure the Slug does
      > not access the disk.
      >
      > As a streaming player I have 2 Pinnacle Soundbridges, in the US I
      > think they are from Roku. I think they may have been discontinued
      > though. They support WPA, but I use them wired. In Europe they have
      > been replaced by a later model which I believe looks the same, but has
      > a lot less features. So read the product specs. The ones I have work
      > with Twonkyvision or firefly on the Slug.
      >
      > Cheers Brian

      Thanks Brian

      Did you use this "SpinDownUSBHarddisks" there are several choise,which
      did you use ?
      I hate vi i think that is the editor available,can i use gedit on my
      linux desktop to save the script and then use ftp client filezilla to
      copy it to the required dir in the slug.Then i could ssh into the slug
      and cange the attributes of the script,will this work ,i am a newbie.
      How did you do it.

      All the best Bobbyshafter