Re: HD running all the time ,UpNp device for streaming

  • bloedmann999
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 9, 2008
      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "bobbyshafter27"
      <bobbyshafter27@...> wrote:

      > My slug is running unslung on my WD 500g drive on usb1 .
      > Before i unslung it to my hd the drive activity light would not flash
      > until i access the drive.
      > Now that i unslung it to my drive the activity light flash every 3-4
      > sec.Anyone experience this problem.
      >
      > I planning on the purchase of a upnp device to stream my music to.
      > Found a discontinued linksys wireless unit the problem it only support
      > WEP i only use WPA ,wep is broken ,is there a device that is not too
      > expensive that support wpa.

      Hi,

      I have my WD disk spinning down correctly on unslung. Make sure you
      follow the instructions to put /var and /dev on ram disk. Also, my
      disks spin down themselves when inactive, so I do not need to send any
      commands from the slug. All I need to do is make sure the Slug does
      not access the disk.

      As a streaming player I have 2 Pinnacle Soundbridges, in the US I
      think they are from Roku. I think they may have been discontinued
      though. They support WPA, but I use them wired. In Europe they have
      been replaced by a later model which I believe looks the same, but has
      a lot less features. So read the product specs. The ones I have work
      with Twonkyvision or firefly on the Slug.

      Cheers Brian
    • bobbyshafter27
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 9, 2008
        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "bloedmann999"
        <Brian_Dorling@...> wrote:

        > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "bobbyshafter27"
        > <bobbyshafter27@> wrote:
        > >
        > > My slug is running unslung on my WD 500g drive on usb1 .
        > > Before i unslung it to my hd the drive activity light would not flash
        > > until i access the drive.
        > > Now that i unslung it to my drive the activity light flash every 3-4
        > > sec.Anyone experience this problem.
        > >
        > > I planning on the purchase of a upnp device to stream my music to.
        > > Found a discontinued linksys wireless unit the problem it only support
        > > WEP i only use WPA ,wep is broken ,is there a device that is not too
        > > expensive that support wpa.
        > >
        > Hi,
        >
        > I have my WD disk spinning down correctly on unslung. Make sure you
        > follow the instructions to put /var and /dev on ram disk. Also, my
        > disks spin down themselves when inactive, so I do not need to send any
        > commands from the slug. All I need to do is make sure the Slug does
        > not access the disk.
        >
        > As a streaming player I have 2 Pinnacle Soundbridges, in the US I
        > think they are from Roku. I think they may have been discontinued
        > though. They support WPA, but I use them wired. In Europe they have
        > been replaced by a later model which I believe looks the same, but has
        > a lot less features. So read the product specs. The ones I have work
        > with Twonkyvision or firefly on the Slug.
        >
        > Cheers Brian

        Thanks Brian

        Did you use this "SpinDownUSBHarddisks" there are several choise,which
        did you use ?
        I hate vi i think that is the editor available,can i use gedit on my
        linux desktop to save the script and then use ftp client filezilla to
        copy it to the required dir in the slug.Then i could ssh into the slug
        and cange the attributes of the script,will this work ,i am a newbie.
        How did you do it.

        All the best Bobbyshafter