HD running all the time ,UpNp device for streaming

  • bobbyshafter27
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 7, 2008
      My slug is running unslung on my WD 500g drive on usb1 .
      Before i unslung it to my hd the drive activity light would not flash
      until i access the drive.
      Now that i unslung it to my drive the activity light flash every 3-4
      sec.Anyone experience this problem.

      I planning on the purchase of a upnp device to stream my music to.
      Found a discontinued linksys wireless unit the problem it only support
      WEP i only use WPA ,wep is broken ,is there a device that is not too
      expensive that support wpa.
    • bloedmann999
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 9, 2008
        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "bobbyshafter27"
        <bobbyshafter27@...> wrote:

        > My slug is running unslung on my WD 500g drive on usb1 .
        > Before i unslung it to my hd the drive activity light would not flash
        > until i access the drive.
        > Now that i unslung it to my drive the activity light flash every 3-4
        > sec.Anyone experience this problem.
        >
        > I planning on the purchase of a upnp device to stream my music to.
        > Found a discontinued linksys wireless unit the problem it only support
        > WEP i only use WPA ,wep is broken ,is there a device that is not too
        > expensive that support wpa.

        Hi,

        I have my WD disk spinning down correctly on unslung. Make sure you
        follow the instructions to put /var and /dev on ram disk. Also, my
        disks spin down themselves when inactive, so I do not need to send any
        commands from the slug. All I need to do is make sure the Slug does
        not access the disk.

        As a streaming player I have 2 Pinnacle Soundbridges, in the US I
        think they are from Roku. I think they may have been discontinued
        though. They support WPA, but I use them wired. In Europe they have
        been replaced by a later model which I believe looks the same, but has
        a lot less features. So read the product specs. The ones I have work
        with Twonkyvision or firefly on the Slug.

        Cheers Brian
      • bobbyshafter27
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 9, 2008
          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "bloedmann999"
          <Brian_Dorling@...> wrote:

          > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "bobbyshafter27"
          > <bobbyshafter27@> wrote:
          > >
          > > My slug is running unslung on my WD 500g drive on usb1 .
          > > Before i unslung it to my hd the drive activity light would not flash
          > > until i access the drive.
          > > Now that i unslung it to my drive the activity light flash every 3-4
          > > sec.Anyone experience this problem.
          > >
          > > I planning on the purchase of a upnp device to stream my music to.
          > > Found a discontinued linksys wireless unit the problem it only support
          > > WEP i only use WPA ,wep is broken ,is there a device that is not too
          > > expensive that support wpa.
          > >
          > Hi,
          >
          > I have my WD disk spinning down correctly on unslung. Make sure you
          > follow the instructions to put /var and /dev on ram disk. Also, my
          > disks spin down themselves when inactive, so I do not need to send any
          > commands from the slug. All I need to do is make sure the Slug does
          > not access the disk.
          >
          > As a streaming player I have 2 Pinnacle Soundbridges, in the US I
          > think they are from Roku. I think they may have been discontinued
          > though. They support WPA, but I use them wired. In Europe they have
          > been replaced by a later model which I believe looks the same, but has
          > a lot less features. So read the product specs. The ones I have work
          > with Twonkyvision or firefly on the Slug.
          >
          > Cheers Brian

          Thanks Brian

          Did you use this "SpinDownUSBHarddisks" there are several choise,which
          did you use ?
          I hate vi i think that is the editor available,can i use gedit on my
          linux desktop to save the script and then use ftp client filezilla to
          copy it to the required dir in the slug.Then i could ssh into the slug
          and cange the attributes of the script,will this work ,i am a newbie.
          How did you do it.

          All the best Bobbyshafter