Usb ethernet for squid

  • onegianttooth
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 4, 2008
      Anyone has a recommendation for choosing a good usb-ethernet device?
      at the moment i'm looking at a RTL8150 based (e.g. Sitecom LN-013)
      (kernel-module-rtl8150) and dlink's DUB-E100 series works.. and
      tried to find any question about usb ethernet to no avail in this forum..
      :/ ..

      i found about usb-ethernet device support from nslu2's page
      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Peripherals/EthernetAdapter?from=HowTo.AddEthernetAdapter

      and I dont have any usb-ethernet devices, so any link to
      another forum page relevant to this question or product page would be
      helpful.. as the hardest point right now is not setting up an nslu on
      squid but rather knowing what usb-ethernet device i should be getting :/

      Thanks for any reply, greatly appreciate it..

      james
    • Mike (mwester)
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 6, 2008
        onegianttooth wrote:
        > Anyone has a recommendation for choosing a good usb-ethernet device?
        > at the moment i'm looking at a RTL8150 based (e.g. Sitecom LN-013)
        > (kernel-module-rtl8150) and dlink's DUB-E100 series works.. and
        > tried to find any question about usb ethernet to no avail in this forum..
        > :/ ..
        >
        > i found about usb-ethernet device support from nslu2's page
        > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Peripherals/EthernetAdapter?from=HowTo.AddEthernetAdapter
        >
        > and I dont have any usb-ethernet devices, so any link to
        > another forum page relevant to this question or product page would be
        > helpful.. as the hardest point right now is not setting up an nslu on
        > squid but rather knowing what usb-ethernet device i should be getting :/

        Yeah, one of the other big problems is knowing what the manufacturer put
        in the package that they sold. One of the things to watch for is that
        some of the common mfgrs (Linksys for one) have been known to simply
        switch the entire chipset in the USB ethernet adapter with no product
        re-marking or re-labeling.

        SlugOS will be able to handle any USB devices supported by the stock
        Linksys kernel up to 2.6.18 or so. If you are running Unslung, you are
        extremely limited. If you can build the most recent SlugOS releases
        yourself, you can probably use any adapter supported by Linux. So it
        would be helpful to know a little bit of information, such as what
        firmware you intend to use...

        > Thanks for any reply, greatly appreciate it..
        >
        > james

        Mike (mwester)