Struggling with permissions on mounted Samba share

  • tim_wiser2001
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 2, 2008
      Hi all,

      I've got an Unslung NSLU2 (Unslung 6.10 beta I believe) that I use to
      run the TwonkyMedia software for strea,ming to my MP3 player in my
      living room. It's booting off a 4Gb USB stick and is just great.

      What I'd like to do now is to mount a Windows server share (via Samba)
      on the NSLU2 and make it appear as a directory that can be indexed by
      the TwonkyMedia software. Whilst I can mount the share, I think the
      permissions are wrong somewhere as it's just not being indexed by
      TwonkyMedia.

      The command I am using is:

      smbmount //192.168.1.1/Music /public/DawnCottage -o
      username=SambaUser,password=SambaUser,gid=everyone,uid=guest,fmask=700,dmask=700

      That command gives the following:

      drwxrwxr-x 4 guest everyone 4096 Jul 1 21:41 Athlete
      drwxrwxr-x 7 guest everyone 4096 Jul 1 19:57 Compilations
      drwxrwxr-x 3 guest everyone 4096 Jul 1 21:42 Crowded House
      drwxrwxr-x 4 guest everyone 4096 Jul 1 21:44 Daft Punk
      drwxrwxr-x 2 guest everyone 4096 Jul 1 21:45 Daniel Powter
      drwxrwxrwx 1 guest everyone 4096 May 1 21:06 DawnCottage
      drwxrwxr-x 4 guest everyone 4096 Jul 1 19:18 Girls Aloud
      drwxrwxr-x 4 guest everyone 4096 Jul 1 19:19 Jack Johnson

      As you can see, the permissions are different on the DawnCottage
      folder - the mountpoint. The directories are all within /public and,
      as you can see, I want the mounted share to appear as a directory
      within the local music collection (in /public).

      TwonkyMedia runs as root on the NSLU2 so I would think that it has
      permission to view anything...

      Can anyone point me in the right direction of what I may need to do?