Re: [nslu2-general] Re: Anyone use the 2 extra USB port mod and always power-on their slug via USB?

  • Mike (mwester)
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 2, 2008
      pinforest wrote:
      >> I think the problem here is the wording of the question. The second
      >> attempt at the question, appears to be referring to a specific
      >> method of always powering the slug, the method I believe being
      >> referred to is by sticking the 5v supply up a usb port rather than
      >> using the power socket. If you use this particular method of always
      >> powering the slug and have extra usb ports fitted will the slug
      >> still always power up?
      >>
      >> As for the answer, no idea, you'll have to try it.
      >
      > Hi, bullfrog's 1st interpretation of my question is what I meant. I'm
      > using the no-modification always-power-on method via a powered USB
      > HUB. I would like to know performing the extra 2 USB port mod would
      > prevent the no-modification always-power-on method via a powered USB
      > HUB from working.

      No, there is nothing in the hardware that will change to prevent this
      (illegal) technique from working.

      However, current is not supposed to be flowing backwards into the USB
      host in the first place. So the fact that this works is rather an
      accident, and there's no telling what might go wrong as nobody AFAIK has
      studied the power distribution in the NSLU2 enough to know.

      My first concern would be the current -- I'm not sure what your USB
      device will do when it has to power itself, the NSLU2, and the three
      other ports you'll have (that's about 2.5 - 3.0 amps of current, rather
      more than the USB spec of 0.5 amps).

      Mike (mwester)
    • Rod Whitby
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 3, 2008
        pinforest wrote:
        > I'm powering my slug via only 1 USB cable through a USB powered HUB
        > that only supplies 0.5A. I don't think this setup will change if and
        > when I find someone to add the 2 extra ports for me.

        If you plug current-using devices into your other existing port or any
        of the 2 extra ports, then you may find that 0.5A is not enough capacity
        to drive both the NSLU2 and those USB bus-powered devices.

        Indications of this happening are spontaneous reboots of the NSLU2, or
        corruption of flash drives when writing.

        -- Rod