Re: Anyone use the 2 extra USB port mod and always power-on their slug via USB?

  • bullfrog528
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 29, 2008
      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "pinforest" <pinforest@...>
      wrote:

      > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Rod Whitby <rod@> wrote:
      > >
      > > pinforest wrote:
      > > > I would like to know if I can still always power-on my slug if
      > mod
      > > > my slug with 2 extra USB ports. Does anyone currently do this?
      > Has
      > > > anyone done this successfully in the past?
      > >
      > > I can't see any reason why they would be related.
      > >
      > > -- Rod
      > >

      > Thanks for replying. I hope if I find someone to do the 2 extra
      USB
      > port mod that the auto-power via USB method still works.

      I think the problem here is the wording of the question. The second
      attempt at the question, appears to be referring to a specific
      method of always powering the slug, the method I believe being
      referred to is by sticking the 5v supply up a usb port rather than
      using the power socket. If you use this particular method of always
      powering the slug and have extra usb ports fitted will the slug
      still always power up?

      As for the answer, no idea, you'll have to try it.

      However if your question is based on one of the other methods of
      always powering up the slug, by using a solution which mimicks
      pressing the button in some manner. I can't see why the additional
      usb ports should create a problem.

      I'm not currently using extra internal usb ports, however my own
      personal powering up solution , checks for usb power and if not
      present presses the button, which means that even if the slug
      inadvertently shuts down it will automatically restart. Unlike the
      one on the wiki which only does it's stuff when the power is first
      applied.

      Hopefully that has helped in some way, even if only to get the
      original questioner to state specifically what powering up method
      they are referring to and why they think there may be a problem.

      Jeremy (Bullfrog)
    • Mike (mwester)
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 2, 2008
        pinforest wrote:
        >> I think the problem here is the wording of the question. The second
        >> attempt at the question, appears to be referring to a specific
        >> method of always powering the slug, the method I believe being
        >> referred to is by sticking the 5v supply up a usb port rather than
        >> using the power socket. If you use this particular method of always
        >> powering the slug and have extra usb ports fitted will the slug
        >> still always power up?
        >>
        >> As for the answer, no idea, you'll have to try it.
        >
        > Hi, bullfrog's 1st interpretation of my question is what I meant. I'm
        > using the no-modification always-power-on method via a powered USB
        > HUB. I would like to know performing the extra 2 USB port mod would
        > prevent the no-modification always-power-on method via a powered USB
        > HUB from working.

        No, there is nothing in the hardware that will change to prevent this
        (illegal) technique from working.

        However, current is not supposed to be flowing backwards into the USB
        host in the first place. So the fact that this works is rather an
        accident, and there's no telling what might go wrong as nobody AFAIK has
        studied the power distribution in the NSLU2 enough to know.

        My first concern would be the current -- I'm not sure what your USB
        device will do when it has to power itself, the NSLU2, and the three
        other ports you'll have (that's about 2.5 - 3.0 amps of current, rather
        more than the USB spec of 0.5 amps).

        Mike (mwester)
      • Rod Whitby
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 3, 2008
          pinforest wrote:
          > I'm powering my slug via only 1 USB cable through a USB powered HUB
          > that only supplies 0.5A. I don't think this setup will change if and
          > when I find someone to add the 2 extra ports for me.

          If you plug current-using devices into your other existing port or any
          of the 2 extra ports, then you may find that 0.5A is not enough capacity
          to drive both the NSLU2 and those USB bus-powered devices.

          Indications of this happening are spontaneous reboots of the NSLU2, or
          corruption of flash drives when writing.

          -- Rod