Re: [nslu2-general] DVD Player USB Port -> NSLU2?

  • Mike (mwester)
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 28, 2008
      philby00 wrote:
      > Hi All,
      >
      > I am new to the group and would like to ask a question.
      >
      > I have a DVD player with a USB port that will allow a files to be read
      > from a USB Memory Stick. Can a NSLU2 be configured to appear to the
      > DVD player as a USB memory stick but allow access to storage devices
      > as well as the NLSU2 we accessible via a LAN from other Computers?
      >
      > Many Thanks for any advice,
      >
      > Phil

      The standard hardware does not support this; the exposed USB ports are
      host ports -- you need to be able to use a port that appears on the
      other end of the connection.

      There is such a port on the NEC USB chip used in the NSLU2, and some
      folks have reported success in wiring up a cable to it. Recent emails
      have indicated that there seems to be some device driver and other
      software issues present, even if one got the port wired.

      So in a nutshell, it would be a good project, but not something that has
      been known to work (and communicated to anyone here).

      Mike (mwester)