Anyone use the 2 extra USB port mod and always power-on their slug via USB?

  • pinforest
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 24, 2008
      I would like to know if I can still always power-on my slug if I mod
      my slug with 2 extra USB ports. Does anyone currently do this? Has
      anyone done this successfully in the past?

      Thanks.
    • Rod Whitby
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 24, 2008
        pinforest wrote:
        > I would like to know if I can still always power-on my slug if I mod
        > my slug with 2 extra USB ports. Does anyone currently do this? Has
        > anyone done this successfully in the past?

        I can't see any reason why they would be related.

        -- Rod
      • Rob Lockhart
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 28, 2008
          On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 5:56 PM, pinforest <pinforest@...> wrote:
          > I would like to know if I can still always power-on my slug if I mod
          > my slug with 2 extra USB ports. Does anyone currently do this? Has
          > anyone done this successfully in the past?

          Hi, pinforest. I don't understand what you're asking here. You mean,
          if you mod the SLUG with 2 extra USB ports, and provide power from the
          on-board 5.0V rail provided to the board, will it still boot?

          I can tell you that I have an extra power supply that provides 3A
          (think stock is 2A), and I've wired both on-board ports to provide 5V
          supply, and I've also added one of the 3 extra ports to also provide
          5V, and I haven't seen a problem.

          If you're talking about whether the auto-power-on mod still works with
          the extra 2 ports having 5V power provided, I don't know. I'd have to
          try the auto-power-on mod first.

          Regards,
          -Rob
        • bullfrog528
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 29, 2008
            --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "pinforest" <pinforest@...>
            wrote:

            > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Rod Whitby <rod@> wrote:
            > >
            > > pinforest wrote:
            > > > I would like to know if I can still always power-on my slug if
            > mod
            > > > my slug with 2 extra USB ports. Does anyone currently do this?
            > Has
            > > > anyone done this successfully in the past?
            > >
            > > I can't see any reason why they would be related.
            > >
            > > -- Rod
            > >

            > Thanks for replying. I hope if I find someone to do the 2 extra
            USB
            > port mod that the auto-power via USB method still works.

            I think the problem here is the wording of the question. The second
            attempt at the question, appears to be referring to a specific
            method of always powering the slug, the method I believe being
            referred to is by sticking the 5v supply up a usb port rather than
            using the power socket. If you use this particular method of always
            powering the slug and have extra usb ports fitted will the slug
            still always power up?

            As for the answer, no idea, you'll have to try it.

            However if your question is based on one of the other methods of
            always powering up the slug, by using a solution which mimicks
            pressing the button in some manner. I can't see why the additional
            usb ports should create a problem.

            I'm not currently using extra internal usb ports, however my own
            personal powering up solution , checks for usb power and if not
            present presses the button, which means that even if the slug
            inadvertently shuts down it will automatically restart. Unlike the
            one on the wiki which only does it's stuff when the power is first
            applied.

            Hopefully that has helped in some way, even if only to get the
            original questioner to state specifically what powering up method
            they are referring to and why they think there may be a problem.

            Jeremy (Bullfrog)
          • Mike (mwester)
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 2, 2008
              pinforest wrote:
              >> I think the problem here is the wording of the question. The second
              >> attempt at the question, appears to be referring to a specific
              >> method of always powering the slug, the method I believe being
              >> referred to is by sticking the 5v supply up a usb port rather than
              >> using the power socket. If you use this particular method of always
              >> powering the slug and have extra usb ports fitted will the slug
              >> still always power up?
              >>
              >> As for the answer, no idea, you'll have to try it.
              >
              > Hi, bullfrog's 1st interpretation of my question is what I meant. I'm
              > using the no-modification always-power-on method via a powered USB
              > HUB. I would like to know performing the extra 2 USB port mod would
              > prevent the no-modification always-power-on method via a powered USB
              > HUB from working.

              No, there is nothing in the hardware that will change to prevent this
              (illegal) technique from working.

              However, current is not supposed to be flowing backwards into the USB
              host in the first place. So the fact that this works is rather an
              accident, and there's no telling what might go wrong as nobody AFAIK has
              studied the power distribution in the NSLU2 enough to know.

              My first concern would be the current -- I'm not sure what your USB
              device will do when it has to power itself, the NSLU2, and the three
              other ports you'll have (that's about 2.5 - 3.0 amps of current, rather
              more than the USB spec of 0.5 amps).

              Mike (mwester)
            • Rod Whitby
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 3, 2008
                pinforest wrote:
                > I'm powering my slug via only 1 USB cable through a USB powered HUB
                > that only supplies 0.5A. I don't think this setup will change if and
                > when I find someone to add the 2 extra ports for me.

                If you plug current-using devices into your other existing port or any
                of the 2 extra ports, then you may find that 0.5A is not enough capacity
                to drive both the NSLU2 and those USB bus-powered devices.

                Indications of this happening are spontaneous reboots of the NSLU2, or
                corruption of flash drives when writing.

                -- Rod