Re: [nslu2-general] NSLU2 Major Problem

  • Eike Lang
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 24, 2008
      Am 23.06.2008 um 22:45 schrieb Robert Hammond:

      [slug issues]

      > I think that it's time to get the test meter out, will start with the
      > power supply.

      Based on your description I'd wager a guess it is indeed the PSU (or,
      to use
      one of the most hilarious english words I've learned in years "wall
      wart").

      Measure the 5V at the USB ports under load - in my case (faulty PSU,
      normal
      operation ever since replacing it) they dropped to around 3V when
      something
      was connected there.

      Regards,
      Eike

      --
      Eike Michael Lang
      mail@...
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 24, 2008
        In message <15189107-B424-473F-BBE0-F9C67768254A@...>, Eike Lang
        <mail@...> writes

        >Am 23.06.2008 um 22:45 schrieb Robert Hammond:
        >
        >[slug issues]
        >
        >> I think that it's time to get the test meter out, will start with the
        >> power supply.
        >

        >Based on your description I'd wager a guess it is indeed the PSU (or,
        >to use
        >one of the most hilarious english words I've learned in years "wall
        >wart").
        >
        >Measure the 5V at the USB ports under load - in my case (faulty PSU,
        >normal
        >operation ever since replacing it) they dropped to around 3V when
        >something
        >was connected there.
        >
        >Regards,
        >Eike

        Yes indeed. Fault diagnosed as low voltage when the disk is plugged
        in.

        So I followed a hint from the Wiki which infers changing a large
        capacitor in the power supply and the voltage now seems stable at
        exactly 5 volts, with or without load (will monitor this, seems to be
        still stable after 2 hours running).

        And my NSLU2 seems to boot up correctly.

        But it is now broken in another way. I cannot see it over the network.

        The ether port seems to be live. Also I have re-booted my router just
        in case the problem is else where. The web interface, shares and pings
        etc all time out.

        I have also tried detecting the NSLU2 using the original set up CD that
        came with the unit but cannot detect it on the network.

        Running the unit low voltage yesterday has obviously broken something,
        I noticed that the unit seemed to keep re-booting about every 10 second
        or so.
        Hopefully a data corruption some where rather than hardware fault.

        Later today I will check through the mailing list postings, I seem to
        remember some posts on this subject.
        --
        Robert Hammond
        PGP:0x154144DA
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 24, 2008
          Am 24.06.2008 um 20:54 schrieb Robert Hammond:

          [nslu2 faulty psu]
          > Yes indeed. Fault diagnosed as low voltage when the disk is plugged
          > in.

          > So I followed a hint from the Wiki which infers changing a large
          > capacitor in the power supply and the voltage now seems stable at
          > exactly 5 volts, with or without load (will monitor this, seems to be
          > still stable after 2 hours running).

          Ah, I didn't see that hint back then. I just went ahead and bought a
          generic
          PSU with the appropriate rating which set me back $15'ish.

          > And my NSLU2 seems to boot up correctly.
          >
          > But it is now broken in another way. I cannot see it over the
          > network.

          [...]

          I'm 99% sure the hardware is ok - until I found the source of my
          problem I
          was trying to run my slug for extended periods of time with no adverse
          effects (except not working before the psu was replaced).

          I'm not sure the config tool will just any slug or only those in
          upgrade mode.
          As a non-windows person I'd suggest putting the slug in upgrade mode and
          trying upslug2 in discover mode. After trying that you can power-cycle
          the
          slug and nothing will be changed. If that works my guess would be that
          the
          network config on the slug got borked.

          Before you try all this you should give the default IP of 192.168.1.77
          (IIRC)
          a spin (if you haven't done so already).

          --
          Eike Michael Lang
          mail@...
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 24, 2008
            In message <86714D25-0E53-48B7-86EA-22D707EE96D6@...>, Eike Lang
            <mail@...> writes

            >Am 24.06.2008 um 20:54 schrieb Robert Hammond:
            >
            >[nslu2 faulty psu]
            >> Yes indeed. Fault diagnosed as low voltage when the disk is plugged
            >> in.
            >
            >> So I followed a hint from the Wiki which infers changing a large
            >> capacitor in the power supply and the voltage now seems stable at
            >> exactly 5 volts, with or without load (will monitor this, seems to be
            >> still stable after 2 hours running).
            >
            >Ah, I didn't see that hint back then. I just went ahead and bought a
            >generic
            >PSU with the appropriate rating which set me back $15'ish.
            >
            >> And my NSLU2 seems to boot up correctly.
            >>
            >> But it is now broken in another way. I cannot see it over the
            >> network.
            >
            >[...]
            >
            >I'm 99% sure the hardware is ok - until I found the source of my
            >problem I
            >was trying to run my slug for extended periods of time with no adverse
            >effects (except not working before the psu was replaced).
            >
            >I'm not sure the config tool will just any slug or only those in
            >upgrade mode.
            >As a non-windows person I'd suggest putting the slug in upgrade mode and
            >trying upslug2 in discover mode. After trying that you can power-cycle
            >the
            >slug and nothing will be changed. If that works my guess would be that
            >the
            >network config on the slug got borked.
            >
            >Before you try all this you should give the default IP of 192.168.1.77
            >(IIRC)
            >a spin (if you haven't done so already).

            Now 99% certain that the hardware is OK again. Latest problem looks to
            be corruption in the sysconf, but have managed to get it back to life
            without re-setting the sysconf using many Wiki pages for reference. The
            procedure used is posted below, perhaps may be of use to others who
            come across this page.

            Using:-
            1. Used a direct crossover cable connection from my XP box, also
            involves changes to the XP network settings.
            2. Checked I could ping redboot 192.168.0.1 to prove the ether port is
            working.
            3. Because my NSLU2 seemed to fully boot I used the 20 second long
            reset (button on back of unit), which set the IP back to default
            192.169.1.77 followed by a re-boot.
            4. Managed to enter the management web pages 192.169.1.77, everything
            very strange here such as Chinese character set selected and strange
            messages about broken Samba i.e. all settings total garbage apart from
            network IP. Used the web page 'reset to factory defaults' button which
            mended many things (had to do this twice, firstly seemed to fix the
            Samba warnings, second time sorted out many other corrupted fields).
            5. Re-configured many necessary network settings in the management web
            pages.
            6. Plugged the unit back into the router and re-booted disk less
            successfully.
            6. Enabled Telnet and logged in as root/uNSLUng
            7. Had to delete /var/run/usb_det.pid and re-boot again followed by
            another telnet as above.
            8. Hot plugged in the disk and waited for it to mount. With my disk it
            normally takes at least 30 minutes to hot mount properly, (something to
            do with the quota function/disk size/qty of files etc).
            9. Followed the Wiki procedure to check for disk errors, a small
            number of orphaned inodes fixed (always seems to be about five to fix
            with the unslung firmware).
            10. Re-booted with disk attached successfully and it seems to be back
            with no apparent functionality loss or loss of data.

            Unsure if it is totally back, suppose time will tell.

            In the UK, Maplin's seem to have a compatible power supply for less than
            £10, if it looks to be going down again I will instantly bin it and go
            for a new one hopefully before any damage to NSLU2 or disk files.

            Also I suppose the only way to guarantee a corruption free sysconf is to
            follow the Wiki procedure to wipe and re-generate it but I prefer to
            keep anything to do with reboot access/flashing firmwares back as a last
            resort.

            --
            Robert Hammond
            PGP:0x154144DA