Re: [nslu2-general] NSLU2 Major Problem

  • Rob Lockhart
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 23, 2008
      On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 4:45 PM, Robert Hammond <rob.hammond@...>
      wrote:

      > tried to turn on my diskless NSLU2 and it now refuses to boot diskless
      > (although it was working diskless just hours ago). So probably not a
      > disk problem after all, the fault seems to point towards the NSLU2.
      >
      > I think that it's time to get the test meter out, will start with the
      > power supply.

      If you're handy with a soldering iron, a serial console is very useful for
      these scenarios (see the wiki website). You should be successful with
      SerComm updater. If not, you might try to reinstall the unslug firmware
      with upslug2 (if you have a nearby linux distribution). Or you might be
      able to do this without a linux distribution, if you install cygwin and
      download/compile "upslug2.

      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Main/UpSlug2
      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Main/SercommFirmwareUpdater

      The hard part is getting the NSLU2 into the right "mode".

      Hope that helps,
      -Rob

    • Eike Lang
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 24, 2008
        Am 23.06.2008 um 22:45 schrieb Robert Hammond:

        [slug issues]

        > I think that it's time to get the test meter out, will start with the
        > power supply.

        Based on your description I'd wager a guess it is indeed the PSU (or,
        to use
        one of the most hilarious english words I've learned in years "wall
        wart").

        Measure the 5V at the USB ports under load - in my case (faulty PSU,
        normal
        operation ever since replacing it) they dropped to around 3V when
        something
        was connected there.

        Regards,
        Eike

        --
        Eike Michael Lang
        mail@...
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 24, 2008
          In message <15189107-B424-473F-BBE0-F9C67768254A@...>, Eike Lang
          <mail@...> writes

          >Am 23.06.2008 um 22:45 schrieb Robert Hammond:
          >
          >[slug issues]
          >
          >> I think that it's time to get the test meter out, will start with the
          >> power supply.
          >

          >Based on your description I'd wager a guess it is indeed the PSU (or,
          >to use
          >one of the most hilarious english words I've learned in years "wall
          >wart").
          >
          >Measure the 5V at the USB ports under load - in my case (faulty PSU,
          >normal
          >operation ever since replacing it) they dropped to around 3V when
          >something
          >was connected there.
          >
          >Regards,
          >Eike

          Yes indeed. Fault diagnosed as low voltage when the disk is plugged
          in.

          So I followed a hint from the Wiki which infers changing a large
          capacitor in the power supply and the voltage now seems stable at
          exactly 5 volts, with or without load (will monitor this, seems to be
          still stable after 2 hours running).

          And my NSLU2 seems to boot up correctly.

          But it is now broken in another way. I cannot see it over the network.

          The ether port seems to be live. Also I have re-booted my router just
          in case the problem is else where. The web interface, shares and pings
          etc all time out.

          I have also tried detecting the NSLU2 using the original set up CD that
          came with the unit but cannot detect it on the network.

          Running the unit low voltage yesterday has obviously broken something,
          I noticed that the unit seemed to keep re-booting about every 10 second
          or so.
          Hopefully a data corruption some where rather than hardware fault.

          Later today I will check through the mailing list postings, I seem to
          remember some posts on this subject.
          --
          Robert Hammond
          PGP:0x154144DA
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 24, 2008
            Am 24.06.2008 um 20:54 schrieb Robert Hammond:

            [nslu2 faulty psu]
            > Yes indeed. Fault diagnosed as low voltage when the disk is plugged
            > in.

            > So I followed a hint from the Wiki which infers changing a large
            > capacitor in the power supply and the voltage now seems stable at
            > exactly 5 volts, with or without load (will monitor this, seems to be
            > still stable after 2 hours running).

            Ah, I didn't see that hint back then. I just went ahead and bought a
            generic
            PSU with the appropriate rating which set me back $15'ish.

            > And my NSLU2 seems to boot up correctly.
            >
            > But it is now broken in another way. I cannot see it over the
            > network.

            [...]

            I'm 99% sure the hardware is ok - until I found the source of my
            problem I
            was trying to run my slug for extended periods of time with no adverse
            effects (except not working before the psu was replaced).

            I'm not sure the config tool will just any slug or only those in
            upgrade mode.
            As a non-windows person I'd suggest putting the slug in upgrade mode and
            trying upslug2 in discover mode. After trying that you can power-cycle
            the
            slug and nothing will be changed. If that works my guess would be that
            the
            network config on the slug got borked.

            Before you try all this you should give the default IP of 192.168.1.77
            (IIRC)
            a spin (if you haven't done so already).

            --
            Eike Michael Lang
            mail@...
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 24, 2008
              In message <86714D25-0E53-48B7-86EA-22D707EE96D6@...>, Eike Lang
              <mail@...> writes

              >Am 24.06.2008 um 20:54 schrieb Robert Hammond:
              >
              >[nslu2 faulty psu]
              >> Yes indeed. Fault diagnosed as low voltage when the disk is plugged
              >> in.
              >
              >> So I followed a hint from the Wiki which infers changing a large
              >> capacitor in the power supply and the voltage now seems stable at
              >> exactly 5 volts, with or without load (will monitor this, seems to be
              >> still stable after 2 hours running).
              >
              >Ah, I didn't see that hint back then. I just went ahead and bought a
              >generic
              >PSU with the appropriate rating which set me back $15'ish.
              >
              >> And my NSLU2 seems to boot up correctly.
              >>
              >> But it is now broken in another way. I cannot see it over the
              >> network.
              >
              >[...]
              >
              >I'm 99% sure the hardware is ok - until I found the source of my
              >problem I
              >was trying to run my slug for extended periods of time with no adverse
              >effects (except not working before the psu was replaced).
              >
              >I'm not sure the config tool will just any slug or only those in
              >upgrade mode.
              >As a non-windows person I'd suggest putting the slug in upgrade mode and
              >trying upslug2 in discover mode. After trying that you can power-cycle
              >the
              >slug and nothing will be changed. If that works my guess would be that
              >the
              >network config on the slug got borked.
              >
              >Before you try all this you should give the default IP of 192.168.1.77
              >(IIRC)
              >a spin (if you haven't done so already).

              Now 99% certain that the hardware is OK again. Latest problem looks to
              be corruption in the sysconf, but have managed to get it back to life
              without re-setting the sysconf using many Wiki pages for reference. The
              procedure used is posted below, perhaps may be of use to others who
              come across this page.

              Using:-
              1. Used a direct crossover cable connection from my XP box, also
              involves changes to the XP network settings.
              2. Checked I could ping redboot 192.168.0.1 to prove the ether port is
              working.
              3. Because my NSLU2 seemed to fully boot I used the 20 second long
              reset (button on back of unit), which set the IP back to default
              192.169.1.77 followed by a re-boot.
              4. Managed to enter the management web pages 192.169.1.77, everything
              very strange here such as Chinese character set selected and strange
              messages about broken Samba i.e. all settings total garbage apart from
              network IP. Used the web page 'reset to factory defaults' button which
              mended many things (had to do this twice, firstly seemed to fix the
              Samba warnings, second time sorted out many other corrupted fields).
              5. Re-configured many necessary network settings in the management web
              pages.
              6. Plugged the unit back into the router and re-booted disk less
              successfully.
              6. Enabled Telnet and logged in as root/uNSLUng
              7. Had to delete /var/run/usb_det.pid and re-boot again followed by
              another telnet as above.
              8. Hot plugged in the disk and waited for it to mount. With my disk it
              normally takes at least 30 minutes to hot mount properly, (something to
              do with the quota function/disk size/qty of files etc).
              9. Followed the Wiki procedure to check for disk errors, a small
              number of orphaned inodes fixed (always seems to be about five to fix
              with the unslung firmware).
              10. Re-booted with disk attached successfully and it seems to be back
              with no apparent functionality loss or loss of data.

              Unsure if it is totally back, suppose time will tell.

              In the UK, Maplin's seem to have a compatible power supply for less than
              £10, if it looks to be going down again I will instantly bin it and go
              for a new one hopefully before any damage to NSLU2 or disk files.

              Also I suppose the only way to guarantee a corruption free sysconf is to
              follow the Wiki procedure to wipe and re-generate it but I prefer to
              keep anything to do with reboot access/flashing firmwares back as a last
              resort.

              --
              Robert Hammond
              PGP:0x154144DA