NSLU2 Major Problem

  • Robert Hammond
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 23, 2008
      Unfortunately my NSLU2/Maxtor Disk combination has died on me.

      1. I can boot the NSLU2 diskless and login with a Telnet console
      (unslung ver 5.5).

      2. When I plug in the disk, rather than mount the partitions it will
      crash the NSLU2 within seconds, the Telnet session is aborted, many
      strange led light combinations etc.

      I think points to a disk problem.

      I have four partitions, the first three are ones created during the
      initial Linux installation some years ago. I also have a fourth fat32
      partition created at the same time.

      I have access to Partition Magic on an XP machine so have plugged in the
      disk and checked for errors using this program.
      The Linux EXT3 Data partition seems to have a problem. I get an Error
      stating that the EXT2 superblock contains illegal information.

      Is there a way to fix this without re-formatting the drive ??

      --
      Robert Hammond
      PGP:0x154144DA
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 23, 2008
        On Mon, 2008-06-23 at 19:22 +0100, Robert Hammond wrote:

        > I have access to Partition Magic on an XP machine so have plugged in
        > the disk and checked for errors using this program.
        > The Linux EXT3 Data partition seems to have a problem. I get an Error
        > stating that the EXT2 superblock contains illegal information.
        >
        > Is there a way to fix this without re-formatting the drive ??

        That's hard to say without more information.

        There are copies of the superblock which could help solve
        this problem:

        http://edseek.com/archives/2004/02/25/ext3-filesystem-bad-superblock-recovery/

        But this only works if this is the real problem.

        It's possible that the corruption is caused by hardware
        failure. In that case you should carefully check what
        still works on this disk.

        --
        Marcel Nijenhof
        Optware package developer
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 23, 2008
          In message <1214251835.3906.6.camel@...>, Marcel Nijenhof
          <nslu2@...> writes
          >On Mon, 2008-06-23 at 19:22 +0100, Robert Hammond wrote:
          >
          >> I have access to Partition Magic on an XP machine so have plugged in
          >> the disk and checked for errors using this program.
          >> The Linux EXT3 Data partition seems to have a problem. I get an Error
          >> stating that the EXT2 superblock contains illegal information.
          >>
          >> Is there a way to fix this without re-formatting the drive ??
          >
          >That's hard to say without more information.
          >
          >There are copies of the superblock which could help solve
          >this problem:
          >
          >http://edseek.com/archives/2004/02/25/ext3-filesystem-bad-superblock-recovery/
          >
          >But this only works if this is the real problem.
          >
          >It's possible that the corruption is caused by hardware
          >failure. In that case you should carefully check what
          >still works on this disk.

          I have now plugged the disk into a Linux box, all partitions seem to be
          working correctly. Have also run fsck.ext3 using the Linux box and
          found little wrong.

          (Using Partition Magic to check the status of a disk seems to not work
          properly, have never been very happy with this program).

          So....
          tried to turn on my diskless NSLU2 and it now refuses to boot diskless
          (although it was working diskless just hours ago). So probably not a
          disk problem after all, the fault seems to point towards the NSLU2.

          I think that it's time to get the test meter out, will start with the
          power supply.

          --
          Robert Hammond
          PGP:0x154144DA
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 23, 2008
            On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 4:45 PM, Robert Hammond <rob.hammond@...>
            wrote:

            > tried to turn on my diskless NSLU2 and it now refuses to boot diskless
            > (although it was working diskless just hours ago). So probably not a
            > disk problem after all, the fault seems to point towards the NSLU2.
            >
            > I think that it's time to get the test meter out, will start with the
            > power supply.

            If you're handy with a soldering iron, a serial console is very useful for
            these scenarios (see the wiki website). You should be successful with
            SerComm updater. If not, you might try to reinstall the unslug firmware
            with upslug2 (if you have a nearby linux distribution). Or you might be
            able to do this without a linux distribution, if you install cygwin and
            download/compile "upslug2.

            http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Main/UpSlug2
            http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Main/SercommFirmwareUpdater

            The hard part is getting the NSLU2 into the right "mode".

            Hope that helps,
            -Rob

          • Eike Lang
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 24, 2008
              Am 23.06.2008 um 22:45 schrieb Robert Hammond:

              [slug issues]

              > I think that it's time to get the test meter out, will start with the
              > power supply.

              Based on your description I'd wager a guess it is indeed the PSU (or,
              to use
              one of the most hilarious english words I've learned in years "wall
              wart").

              Measure the 5V at the USB ports under load - in my case (faulty PSU,
              normal
              operation ever since replacing it) they dropped to around 3V when
              something
              was connected there.

              Regards,
              Eike

              --
              Eike Michael Lang
              mail@...
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 24, 2008
                In message <15189107-B424-473F-BBE0-F9C67768254A@...>, Eike Lang
                <mail@...> writes

                >Am 23.06.2008 um 22:45 schrieb Robert Hammond:
                >
                >[slug issues]
                >
                >> I think that it's time to get the test meter out, will start with the
                >> power supply.
                >

                >Based on your description I'd wager a guess it is indeed the PSU (or,
                >to use
                >one of the most hilarious english words I've learned in years "wall
                >wart").
                >
                >Measure the 5V at the USB ports under load - in my case (faulty PSU,
                >normal
                >operation ever since replacing it) they dropped to around 3V when
                >something
                >was connected there.
                >
                >Regards,
                >Eike

                Yes indeed. Fault diagnosed as low voltage when the disk is plugged
                in.

                So I followed a hint from the Wiki which infers changing a large
                capacitor in the power supply and the voltage now seems stable at
                exactly 5 volts, with or without load (will monitor this, seems to be
                still stable after 2 hours running).

                And my NSLU2 seems to boot up correctly.

                But it is now broken in another way. I cannot see it over the network.

                The ether port seems to be live. Also I have re-booted my router just
                in case the problem is else where. The web interface, shares and pings
                etc all time out.

                I have also tried detecting the NSLU2 using the original set up CD that
                came with the unit but cannot detect it on the network.

                Running the unit low voltage yesterday has obviously broken something,
                I noticed that the unit seemed to keep re-booting about every 10 second
                or so.
                Hopefully a data corruption some where rather than hardware fault.

                Later today I will check through the mailing list postings, I seem to
                remember some posts on this subject.
                --
                Robert Hammond
                PGP:0x154144DA
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 24, 2008
                  Am 24.06.2008 um 20:54 schrieb Robert Hammond:

                  [nslu2 faulty psu]
                  > Yes indeed. Fault diagnosed as low voltage when the disk is plugged
                  > in.

                  > So I followed a hint from the Wiki which infers changing a large
                  > capacitor in the power supply and the voltage now seems stable at
                  > exactly 5 volts, with or without load (will monitor this, seems to be
                  > still stable after 2 hours running).

                  Ah, I didn't see that hint back then. I just went ahead and bought a
                  generic
                  PSU with the appropriate rating which set me back $15'ish.

                  > And my NSLU2 seems to boot up correctly.
                  >
                  > But it is now broken in another way. I cannot see it over the
                  > network.

                  [...]

                  I'm 99% sure the hardware is ok - until I found the source of my
                  problem I
                  was trying to run my slug for extended periods of time with no adverse
                  effects (except not working before the psu was replaced).

                  I'm not sure the config tool will just any slug or only those in
                  upgrade mode.
                  As a non-windows person I'd suggest putting the slug in upgrade mode and
                  trying upslug2 in discover mode. After trying that you can power-cycle
                  the
                  slug and nothing will be changed. If that works my guess would be that
                  the
                  network config on the slug got borked.

                  Before you try all this you should give the default IP of 192.168.1.77
                  (IIRC)
                  a spin (if you haven't done so already).

                  --
                  Eike Michael Lang
                  mail@...
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 24, 2008
                    In message <86714D25-0E53-48B7-86EA-22D707EE96D6@...>, Eike Lang
                    <mail@...> writes

                    >Am 24.06.2008 um 20:54 schrieb Robert Hammond:
                    >
                    >[nslu2 faulty psu]
                    >> Yes indeed. Fault diagnosed as low voltage when the disk is plugged
                    >> in.
                    >
                    >> So I followed a hint from the Wiki which infers changing a large
                    >> capacitor in the power supply and the voltage now seems stable at
                    >> exactly 5 volts, with or without load (will monitor this, seems to be
                    >> still stable after 2 hours running).
                    >
                    >Ah, I didn't see that hint back then. I just went ahead and bought a
                    >generic
                    >PSU with the appropriate rating which set me back $15'ish.
                    >
                    >> And my NSLU2 seems to boot up correctly.
                    >>
                    >> But it is now broken in another way. I cannot see it over the
                    >> network.
                    >
                    >[...]
                    >
                    >I'm 99% sure the hardware is ok - until I found the source of my
                    >problem I
                    >was trying to run my slug for extended periods of time with no adverse
                    >effects (except not working before the psu was replaced).
                    >
                    >I'm not sure the config tool will just any slug or only those in
                    >upgrade mode.
                    >As a non-windows person I'd suggest putting the slug in upgrade mode and
                    >trying upslug2 in discover mode. After trying that you can power-cycle
                    >the
                    >slug and nothing will be changed. If that works my guess would be that
                    >the
                    >network config on the slug got borked.
                    >
                    >Before you try all this you should give the default IP of 192.168.1.77
                    >(IIRC)
                    >a spin (if you haven't done so already).

                    Now 99% certain that the hardware is OK again. Latest problem looks to
                    be corruption in the sysconf, but have managed to get it back to life
                    without re-setting the sysconf using many Wiki pages for reference. The
                    procedure used is posted below, perhaps may be of use to others who
                    come across this page.

                    Using:-
                    1. Used a direct crossover cable connection from my XP box, also
                    involves changes to the XP network settings.
                    2. Checked I could ping redboot 192.168.0.1 to prove the ether port is
                    working.
                    3. Because my NSLU2 seemed to fully boot I used the 20 second long
                    reset (button on back of unit), which set the IP back to default
                    192.169.1.77 followed by a re-boot.
                    4. Managed to enter the management web pages 192.169.1.77, everything
                    very strange here such as Chinese character set selected and strange
                    messages about broken Samba i.e. all settings total garbage apart from
                    network IP. Used the web page 'reset to factory defaults' button which
                    mended many things (had to do this twice, firstly seemed to fix the
                    Samba warnings, second time sorted out many other corrupted fields).
                    5. Re-configured many necessary network settings in the management web
                    pages.
                    6. Plugged the unit back into the router and re-booted disk less
                    successfully.
                    6. Enabled Telnet and logged in as root/uNSLUng
                    7. Had to delete /var/run/usb_det.pid and re-boot again followed by
                    another telnet as above.
                    8. Hot plugged in the disk and waited for it to mount. With my disk it
                    normally takes at least 30 minutes to hot mount properly, (something to
                    do with the quota function/disk size/qty of files etc).
                    9. Followed the Wiki procedure to check for disk errors, a small
                    number of orphaned inodes fixed (always seems to be about five to fix
                    with the unslung firmware).
                    10. Re-booted with disk attached successfully and it seems to be back
                    with no apparent functionality loss or loss of data.

                    Unsure if it is totally back, suppose time will tell.

                    In the UK, Maplin's seem to have a compatible power supply for less than
                    £10, if it looks to be going down again I will instantly bin it and go
                    for a new one hopefully before any damage to NSLU2 or disk files.

                    Also I suppose the only way to guarantee a corruption free sysconf is to
                    follow the Wiki procedure to wipe and re-generate it but I prefer to
                    keep anything to do with reboot access/flashing firmwares back as a last
                    resort.

                    --
                    Robert Hammond
                    PGP:0x154144DA