Re: Can I interface the NSLU2 to an EIA-485 bus?

  • tbering2002
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 16, 2008
      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Anssi Porttikivi" <app@...> wrote:

      > If I have some home automation equipment that is controlled via a
      > proprietary protocol on top of serial EIA-485 (RS-485) bus, can I do a
      > hardware hack to the NSLU2 to interface to that? I am actually
      > planning a commercial product based on this, and we have some
      > resources to buid it, if it makes sense.
      >
      > Or does anyone have any ideas of another cheap, general purpose, easy
      > to program platoform for controlling home automation?

      You could also connect a TTL to RS-485 transceiver chip to the onboard
      serial port on the NSLU2. That would be a pretty good option, as it
      would let you use the NSLU2 to prototype your code, and then switch to
      a different platform when the concept is closer to production.

      Warning: at least on my NSLU2 units, the boot loader listens for
      traffic on the serial port at startup. As such, with a half-duplex
      serial connection, the NSLU2 will hear its own traffic and abort the
      boot process. You will need to gate Rx inputs to the slug to a
      disabled (low) state for the first section of the boot process. This
      is easy enough to do, if you know to do it.