Continuous Disk Access?

  • ralph.unslunger
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 10, 2008
      I've just installed Unslung 6.10 Beta on my NSLU2, unlung it onto my
      Western Digital, My Book Essential, 500GB (WD WDH1U5000E) USB HD, and
      installed openssh and ushare.

      All is working just fine (great work people!) except ...

      I notice that the HD is being accessed every couple of seconds - even
      when nobody is using the UPnP server.

      Can anyone suggest any possible reasons for this?

      I've seen
      - http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/FAQ/SpinDownUSBHarddisks
      but I don't _think_ it is relevant as I am not wanting to spin down
      an HD that is not being used, but rather I am wanting to know why an
      HD is being used at all!

      Meanwhile, I see with ps that there are a number of "ushare"
      processes plus a upnpd process. Can anyone tell me the relationship
      between these? (I've seen there is mention of UPnP on the Unslung
      NSLU2 web interface, and was starting to wonder if I needed to
      install ushare at all! (Or if unslung+upnp wouldn't work fine in
      flash rather than on HD))
    • janne5011
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 10, 2008
        the unpn on webinterface so you can see the nlsu2 itself.
        you cant replace ushare with it.the several ushare processes is
        normal.
        you can replace ushare with mediatomb.

        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "ralph.unslunger"
        <ralph.unslunger.yahoo@...> wrote:

        > I've just installed Unslung 6.10 Beta on my NSLU2, unlung it onto
        my
        > Western Digital, My Book Essential, 500GB (WD WDH1U5000E) USB HD,
        and
        > installed openssh and ushare.
        >
        > All is working just fine (great work people!) except ...
        >
        > I notice that the HD is being accessed every couple of seconds -
        even
        > when nobody is using the UPnP server.
        >
        > Can anyone suggest any possible reasons for this?
        >
        > I've seen
        > - http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/FAQ/SpinDownUSBHarddisks
        > but I don't _think_ it is relevant as I am not wanting to spin down
        > an HD that is not being used, but rather I am wanting to know why
        an
        > HD is being used at all!
        >
        > Meanwhile, I see with ps that there are a number of "ushare"
        > processes plus a upnpd process. Can anyone tell me the relationship
        > between these? (I've seen there is mention of UPnP on the Unslung
        > NSLU2 web interface, and was starting to wonder if I needed to
        > install ushare at all! (Or if unslung+upnp wouldn't work fine in
        > flash rather than on HD))

      • cohenjonathand
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 10, 2008
          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "ralph.unslunger"
          <ralph.unslunger.yahoo@...> wrote:

          > I've just installed Unslung 6.10 Beta on my NSLU2, unlung it onto my
          > Western Digital, My Book Essential,

          > I notice that the HD is being accessed every couple of seconds - even
          > when nobody is using the UPnP server.
          >
          > Can anyone suggest any possible reasons for this?
          >
          > I've seen
          > - http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/FAQ/SpinDownUSBHarddisks
          > but I don't _think_ it is relevant as I am not wanting to spin down
          > an HD that is not being used, but rather I am wanting to know why an
          > HD is being used at all

          The information there is quite relevant, because a major part of
          getting the drive to spin down is getting the OS to top accessing it.
          When you unslung, you installed the OS on your external drive, so any
          files read or written by background processes (e.g., writing log files
          or checking the file system journals) are now accessing your drive. I
          used the scripts at
          http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/SetSpinDownTimeOnMaxtorOneTouch
          to control the periodic access problem on mine (and this also allows
          it to spin down)

          Jon
        • Carl Lowenstein
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 10, 2008
            On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 12:32 AM, ralph.unslunger
            <ralph.unslunger.yahoo@...> wrote:
            > I've just installed Unslung 6.10 Beta on my NSLU2, unlung it onto my
            > Western Digital, My Book Essential, 500GB (WD WDH1U5000E) USB HD, and
            > installed openssh and ushare.
            >
            > All is working just fine (great work people!) except ...
            >
            > I notice that the HD is being accessed every couple of seconds - even
            > when nobody is using the UPnP server.
            >
            > Can anyone suggest any possible reasons for this?

            Most plausible possible reason:

            You have an ext3 file system on the HD. Its journal is being updated
            every 5 seconds by default.

            carl
            --
            carl lowenstein