[nslu2-general] Cannot Access NSLU2

  • glav
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 9, 2008
      Hi I am new to the group and in need of help. I have had my NSLU2/Maxtor One
      Touch connected to my network for two years. Worked fine!! Until two days
      ago. Now when I try to access the files on the Maxtor HDD, it freezes up
      the computer and nothing happens,the LAN lights and Network Drive lights
      flash back and forth. I have called LinkSys for help, but they tell me that
      the unit is bad and cannot be restored. I don't know what it is doing but
      the computer will not respond to any commands, it's like the CPU is too
      busy. The only way to stop it is to power down either the Computer, router,
      or NSLU2 unit. I am told to go and buy another new unit. With LinkSys
      dropping the product all I want to do is to get my data off of the drive.
      Now for a question for the group.
      Is there a way to copy the data off the drive HDD. I know it's not
      compatiable with Windows XP as you already know. But I don't know what to
      do or how to get my data off. Any help would be appreciated
      Thanks
      Gene
    • janne5011
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 10, 2008
        hello there is applications you can install in your win XP who can
        read your I suppose ext3 disk. Often they dont work to good or is
        unreliable so be catious with that option.Read the FAQ adn the manual
        on it before you try it!
        Another option, more safe imho, is to use a "live cd", ubuntu or
        other linux variant and copy your data to a other disk/place.

        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, glav <glav@...> wrote:

        > Hi I am new to the group and in need of help. I have had my
        NSLU2/Maxtor One
        > Touch connected to my network for two years. Worked fine!! Until
        two days
        > ago. Now when I try to access the files on the Maxtor HDD, it
        freezes up
        > the computer and nothing happens,the LAN lights and Network Drive
        lights
        > flash back and forth. I have called LinkSys for help, but they
        tell me that
        > the unit is bad and cannot be restored. I don't know what it is
        doing but
        > the computer will not respond to any commands, it's like the CPU is
        too
        > busy. The only way to stop it is to power down either the
        Computer, router,
        > or NSLU2 unit. I am told to go and buy another new unit. With
        LinkSys
        > dropping the product all I want to do is to get my data off of the
        drive.
        > Now for a question for the group.
        > Is there a way to copy the data off the drive HDD. I know it's not
        > compatiable with Windows XP as you already know. But I don't know
        what to
        > do or how to get my data off. Any help would be appreciated
        > Thanks
        > Gene
        > --

      • Trevor Hancock
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 10, 2008

          I use Ext2IFS from http://www.fs-driver.org/ it works well with
          my 2 xp machines and a vista laptop.

          It may be worth trying a new power supply for the NSLU2, there has
          been a lot of discussion on the group about that subject.

          Have you tried accessing the NSLU2 without any disks plugged in?
          If it works this would indicate a power supply.

          You could also try connecting the NSLU2 direct to your PC
          to eliminate router/cabling issues.

          janne5011 wrote:

          > hello there is applications you can install in your win XP who can
          > read your I suppose ext3 disk. Often they dont work to good or is
          > unreliable so be catious with that option.Read the FAQ adn the manual
          > on it before you try it!
          > Another option, more safe imho, is to use a "live cd", ubuntu or
          > other linux variant and copy your data to a other disk/place.
          >
          > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com
          > <mailto:nslu2-general%40yahoogroups.com>, glav <glav@...> wrote:
          > >

          > > Hi I am new to the group and in need of help. I have had my
          > NSLU2/Maxtor One
          > > Touch connected to my network for two years. Worked fine!! Until
          > two days
          > > ago. Now when I try to access the files on the Maxtor HDD, it
          > freezes up
          > > the computer and nothing happens,the LAN lights and Network Drive
          > lights
          > > flash back and forth. I have called LinkSys for help, but they
          > tell me that
          > > the unit is bad and cannot be restored. I don't know what it is
          > doing but
          > > the computer will not respond to any commands, it's like the CPU is
          > too
          > > busy. The only way to stop it is to power down either the
          > Computer, router,
          > > or NSLU2 unit. I am told to go and buy another new unit. With
          > LinkSys
          > > dropping the product all I want to do is to get my data off of the
          > drive.
          > > Now for a question for the group.
          > > Is there a way to copy the data off the drive HDD. I know it's not
          > > compatiable with Windows XP as you already know. But I don't know
          > what to
          > > do or how to get my data off. Any help would be appreciated
          > > Thanks
          > > Gene
          > > --

        • Gabriel Schønau Hansen
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 13, 2008
            Hello Glav,

            Have u tried reinstalling the Linksys? Theres a way to hack the NSLU2 very
            early in the startup process, making it possible to re-write the operating
            system, its called entering the redboot state! Take a look at the
            nslu2-linux.org site, a possible starting point would be this:

            http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/RevertToLinksysFirmware

            Don’t give up completely yet!

            AS Janne said, if youre absolutely sure the Linksys NSLU2 is broken, u can
            lift data off ur harddisk in several ways. I’ve been using a very stable and
            nice EXT2/3 driver, which works both read/write, its here:
            http://www.fs-driver.org

            A linux-livecd is ok, but if you don’t want to reboot ur computer, a VMware
            linux image to run a virtual linux computer will suffice, I use that a lot!
            It can mount and read/write a EXT2/3 formatted usb harddiskdisk, even if the
            windowscomputer running vmware cannot!

            Good luck,

            Gabriel

            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 20 11:37 AM
              Hi guys... my slug died while i was on vacation <sigh>. I have driver
              from www.fs-driver.org, but is complains that the ext3 partition needs
              recovery, and the their driver doesn't support it. Short of finding
              another slug, which aren't sold locally anymore in eastern CT, how can
              I get my data?

              --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Gabriel Schønau Hansen

            • jl.050877@gmail.com
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 20 12:46 PM
                On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 06:37:44PM -0000, Scott wrote:
                > Hi guys... my slug died while i was on vacation <sigh>. I have driver
                > from www.fs-driver.org, but is complains that the ext3 partition needs
                > recovery, and the their driver doesn't support it. Short of finding
                > another slug, which aren't sold locally anymore in eastern CT, how can
                > I get my data?

                One option is to burn a linux boot CD (Knoppix,
                SystemRescueCD, or other), put it in your MS-box, and re-boot. You
                can then run e2fsck to repair the partition and/or copy your files.

                John
              • Michael Canavatchel
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 1, 2008
                  (Running WinXP SP3 connected directly into the NSLU2 via ethernet)

                  I am hoping that someone can help me figure out what happened to my Slug!

                  I had initially ran Sercomm and updated the NSLU firmware to unslung
                  6.10 beta, of course I did NOT follow the directions explicitly, I just
                  wanted a simple file server that could be expanded at a later date. I
                  had an 80gig NTFS on USB2 and a 250gig EXT3 on USB1. I had configured
                  the slug for 192.168.1.121 fixed ip

                  After several weeks I wanted to share our music across the share using
                  Firefly.

                  Going back to the Unslung readme, I realized that I had not "unslung"
                  the firmware onto my external hd. So I disconnected the hard drives,
                  telneted into redboot, but when I did, I was not prompted for a user
                  name or password. I found that strange, but when I tried to connect the
                  EXT3 hard disk, I was immediately disconnected from my telnet session. I
                  telneted in several more times with the same result, connect the drive,
                  get disconnected. On my last telnet session I began to poke around and
                  everything I typed, except 'help' returned an error.

                  I thought maybe I needed to follow the readme and start over (No, I
                  didn't back up the original unslung flash.) so I re-flashed the slug
                  with Sercomm and Unslung 6.10 beta. I put the slug in upgrade mode with
                  the reset button and everything went perfectly, however when the slug
                  rebooted, I could no longer access it. I ran NetStat -an and I could see
                  the slug at IP 0,0,0,0 listening with the port numbers following the ip
                  address.

                  I obviously can't telnet into the slug and the web interface no longer
                  works no matter what IP I enter. I can still get into upgrade mode with
                  the reset button but I have a feeling that re-flashing isn't going to do
                  anything unless I can specify a default IP address.

                  I've waded through the nslu2-linux.org site, wiki, FAQ and dozens of
                  pages on google but I can't find a solution. I do have hope because I
                  can still access the slug through upgrade mode.

                  I know there is a genius or two in the group here, can someone help me?

                  Thanks!
                  Mike C
                • janne5011
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 3, 2008
                    I think you can try reflash it with linkys FW, go to webinterface
                    choose restore defaults,then put in the IP, dns and so on as you
                    want.
                    after flash it again with unlsung and: follow the README=).

                    No garanti that will work.
                    --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Michael Canavatchel
                    <mcana77@...> wrote:

                    > (Running WinXP SP3 connected directly into the NSLU2 via ethernet)
                    >
                    > I am hoping that someone can help me figure out what happened to my
                    Slug!

                    > I had initially ran Sercomm and updated the NSLU firmware to
                    unslung
                    > 6.10 beta, of course I did NOT follow the directions explicitly, I
                    just
                    > wanted a simple file server that could be expanded at a later
                    date. I
                    > had an 80gig NTFS on USB2 and a 250gig EXT3 on USB1. I had
                    configured
                    > the slug for 192.168.1.121 fixed ip
                    >
                    > After several weeks I wanted to share our music across the share
                    using
                    > Firefly.
                    >
                    > Going back to the Unslung readme, I realized that I had
                    not "unslung"
                    > the firmware onto my external hd. So I disconnected the hard
                    drives,
                    > telneted into redboot, but when I did, I was not prompted for a
                    user
                    > name or password. I found that strange, but when I tried to connect
                    the
                    > EXT3 hard disk, I was immediately disconnected from my telnet
                    session. I
                    > telneted in several more times with the same result, connect the
                    drive,
                    > get disconnected. On my last telnet session I began to poke around
                    and
                    > everything I typed, except 'help' returned an error.
                    >
                    > I thought maybe I needed to follow the readme and start over (No, I
                    > didn't back up the original unslung flash.) so I re-flashed the
                    slug
                    > with Sercomm and Unslung 6.10 beta. I put the slug in upgrade mode
                    with
                    > the reset button and everything went perfectly, however when the
                    slug
                    > rebooted, I could no longer access it. I ran NetStat -an and I
                    could see
                    > the slug at IP 0,0,0,0 listening with the port numbers following
                    the ip
                    > address.
                    >
                    > I obviously can't telnet into the slug and the web interface no
                    longer
                    > works no matter what IP I enter. I can still get into upgrade mode
                    with
                    > the reset button but I have a feeling that re-flashing isn't going
                    to do
                    > anything unless I can specify a default IP address.
                    >
                    > I've waded through the nslu2-linux.org site, wiki, FAQ and dozens
                    of
                    > pages on google but I can't find a solution. I do have hope because
                    > can still access the slug through upgrade mode.
                    >
                    > I know there is a genius or two in the group here, can someone help
                    me?

                    > Thanks!
                    > Mike C

                  • Michael Canavatchel
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 3, 2008
                      I did download the latest linksys firmware ver. 23 R63 although I
                      realize that it
                      may not work. I was contemplating installing the 4 pin serial header,
                      and I already have a max233a serial kit from a WRT54g that is no longer
                      working.

                      Thanks for the advice, hopefully I'll get a chance to play with the slug
                      this week.

                      Mike C

                      janne5011 wrote:

> [...]
                      > could see
                      > > the slug at IP 0,0,0,0 listening with the port numbers following
                      > the ip
                      > > address.
                      > >
                      > > I obviously can't telnet into the slug and the web interface no
                      > longer
                      > > works no matter what IP I enter. I can still get into upgrade mode
                      > with
                      > > the reset button but I have a feeling that re-flashing isn't going
                      > to do
                      > > anything unless I can specify a default IP address.
                      > >
                      > > I've waded through the nslu2-linux.org site, wiki, FAQ and dozens
                      > of
                      > > pages on google but I can't find a solution. I do have hope because
                      > > can still access the slug through upgrade mode.
                      > >
                      > > I know there is a genius or two in the group here, can someone help

                    • Mike (mwester)
                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 4, 2008
                        Michael Canavatchel wrote:

                        > Going back to the Unslung readme, I realized that I had not "unslung"
                        > the firmware onto my external hd. So I disconnected the hard drives,
                        > telneted into redboot,

                        You need to telnet into unslung, not the bootloader. The README details
                        the sequence -- disconnect the disks, boot the device, use the web
                        browser to enable telnet, then telnet into the device -- and you'll be
                        prompted for the id and password, and be able to unsling to the hard drive.

                        > but when I did, I was not prompted for a user
                        > name or password. I found that strange, but when I tried to connect the
                        > EXT3 hard disk, I was immediately disconnected from my telnet session. I
                        > telneted in several more times with the same result, connect the drive,
                        > get disconnected. On my last telnet session I began to poke around and
                        > everything I typed, except 'help' returned an error.
                        >
                        > I thought maybe I needed to follow the readme and start over (No, I
                        > didn't back up the original unslung flash.) so I re-flashed the slug
                        > with Sercomm and Unslung 6.10 beta. I put the slug in upgrade mode with
                        > the reset button and everything went perfectly, however when the slug
                        > rebooted, I could no longer access it. I ran NetStat -an and I could see
                        > the slug at IP 0,0,0,0 listening with the port numbers following the ip
                        > address.

                        What commands *did* you run when you were telnetted into redboot? From
                        redboot you have the ability to do some interesting sorts of damage to
                        the data in the flash, so at this point, you probably can't trust any
                        saved settings.

                        I'm also unclear on where you ran netstat -- since you couldn't run
                        netstat on the slug, I'm assuming you ran it on your desktop system --
                        in which case netstat will show you information about your desktop
                        system and not the slug. But in any case, a listening address of
                        0.0.0.0 is common, it just means "the host's IP, whatever it is".

                        > I obviously can't telnet into the slug and the web interface no longer
                        > works no matter what IP I enter. I can still get into upgrade mode with
                        > the reset button but I have a feeling that re-flashing isn't going to do
                        > anything unless I can specify a default IP address.

                        Yes -- and it's easy to do so -- just flash the Linksys firmware, and
                        follow the Linksys procedure to reset the device to factory defaults
                        using the reset button (I don't recall what that is exactly, but
                        basically you boot it up, wait until it beeps, then hold the reset
                        button in while it's up and running for some period of time -- I think
                        it beeps once or twice -- check the linksys docs, and then a restart
                        should have the device appear at the default 192.168.1.77 address. From
                        there you can fix up your network settings.

                        > I've waded through the nslu2-linux.org site, wiki, FAQ and dozens of
                        > pages on google but I can't find a solution. I do have hope because I
                        > can still access the slug through upgrade mode.
                        >
                        > I know there is a genius or two in the group here, can someone help me?
                        >
                        > Thanks!
                        > Mike C
                      • Michael Canavatchel
                        Message 11 of 11 , Aug 5, 2008
                          Hi Mike,

                          I was confusing Telnet in the NSLU with _Telnet into RedBoot!_

                          I'm going to start from the beginning again and maybe my pea brain will
                          get it correct!!

                          Thank you
                          Mike C