Maxtor OneTouch II

  • petergeet
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 31, 2005
      I am using unslung 3.17 and all seems to be OK with the password
      change and a few packages installed. Master PC is on WinXP.

      The harddrive on port 1 is only a low capacity one and is on 24/7, so
      I am thinking about a OneTouch 250 MB.
      I would need this to spindown to make it worthwhile, but having
      looked at the PDF from the Maxtor site, the only ref. to power saving
      is for the Mac.

      Has anyone satifactorily installed the drivers_only to a new Maxtor
      via a PC, set the spindown time and then plugged the drive into a
      working Slug to do the format?
      After this, does the harddrive actually spindown with no activity
      after the required time, or does the PC need to be switched off?

      Hope to be buying a OneTouch soon, if the answers are positive.

      Cheers.
    • HeyMrFirth
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 31, 2005
        yup, works fine. needs a windows partition on the drive before the
        utility will work, but if you're starting off with a new drive that's
        no problem.

        On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 14:25:42 -0000, petergeet <pwild@...> wrote:

        > I am using unslung 3.17 and all seems to be OK with the password
        > change and a few packages installed. Master PC is on WinXP.
        >
        > The harddrive on port 1 is only a low capacity one and is on 24/7, so
        > I am thinking about a OneTouch 250 MB.
        > I would need this to spindown to make it worthwhile, but having
        > looked at the PDF from the Maxtor site, the only ref. to power saving
        > is for the Mac.
        >
        > Has anyone satifactorily installed the drivers_only to a new Maxtor
        > via a PC, set the spindown time and then plugged the drive into a
        > working Slug to do the format?
        > After this, does the harddrive actually spindown with no activity
        > after the required time, or does the PC need to be switched off?
        >
        > Hope to be buying a OneTouch soon, if the answers are positive.
        >
        > Cheers.

      • petergeet
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 31, 2005
          Thanks, I will get one ordered and report back when it's working.

          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, HeyMrFirth <heymrfirth@g...>
          wrote:

          > yup, works fine. needs a windows partition on the drive before the
          > utility will work, but if you're starting off with a new drive
          that's
          > no problem.
          >

          > On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 14:25:42 -0000, petergeet <pwild@v...> wrote:
          > >

          > > I am using unslung 3.17 and all seems to be OK with the password
          > > change and a few packages installed. Master PC is on WinXP.
          > >
          > > The harddrive on port 1 is only a low capacity one and is on
          24/7, so
          > > I am thinking about a OneTouch 250 MB.
          > > I would need this to spindown to make it worthwhile, but having
          > > looked at the PDF from the Maxtor site, the only ref. to power
          saving
          > > is for the Mac.
          > >
          > > Has anyone satifactorily installed the drivers_only to a new
          Maxtor
          > > via a PC, set the spindown time and then plugged the drive into
          > > working Slug to do the format?
          > > After this, does the harddrive actually spindown with no
          activity
          > > after the required time, or does the PC need to be switched off?
          > >
          > > Hope to be buying a OneTouch soon, if the answers are positive.
          > >
          > > Cheers.

          Service.