Re: NSLU2 and O2 Broadband Router

  • darkmoon1000
    Message 1 of 5 , May 17, 2008
      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "ian_jefferyes" <nslu2@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > I am hoping someone can help me get proper access to my Router.
      >
      > I had everything working fine with my NSLU2 and a Netgear Router DG834G.
      >
      > But, recently I upgraded my broadband and had to change my router over.
      >
      > Now I cannot connect to the standard linksys admin page. This means
      > it is not possible to enable telnet.
      >
      > I have been able to connect it to my old router enable telnet and then
      > move the LAN cable to my new router, so I can telnet it, but then as
      > soon as I do any commands the telnet windows just freezes. So I can't
      > even do a 'ps' or even an 'ls -l' without it freezing.
      >
      > I can still map a network drive in windows to a path on the slug, so
      > this still seems to be working.
      >
      > I have looked through all of the settings in the router but can't see
      > why this would not be working.

      Is the slug on the same sub-net?
      Is the firewall in the router blocking port 80?

      John

    • Carl Zetie
      Message 2 of 5 , May 17, 2008
        >Is the slug on the same sub-net?

        Specifically: is your slug set up with a static IP address or DHCP?
        Different brands of router default to different subnets. Netgear, if memory
        serves, defaults to 192.168.1.x (with the router itself on 192.168.1.1).
        Others default to 192.168.0.x or even (in the case of some Belkin gear)
        192.168.2.x. So if your slug has a static IP address on the subnet of the
        first router, you would be able to connect when connected to that one but
        not the other.

        Another possibility is that the two routers use the same subnet but are set
        up to have different ranges of IP address reserved for DHCP. For example,
        some start assigning DHCP addresses by default at 192.168.50.1 and up, and
        others at 192.168.100.1 and up. So its possible that your slug has a static
        IP address of e.g. 192.168.50.1 that works fine on one router, but
        duplicates the DHCP-assigned IP address of another computer on your network
        on the other router.

        HTH,
        Carl

        --
        View my personal blog at TheCzarDictates.blogspot.com

        The contents of this message represent the
        personal opinion of Carl Zetie and do not
        reflect the opinions of his employer

      • ian_jefferyes
        Message 3 of 5 , May 18, 2008
          My slug is setup with a static IP address 196.168.0.3.

          My router is setup with an address of 192.168.0.1.

          It is configured to provide a range of address from
          192.168.0-192.168.0.254.

          The router came configured with a couple of other addresses and
          ranges. I was able to remove one from each, but had to leave one of
          each in place otherwise the web interface does not work.

          I do not think this is an address range related problem. I can ping
          it and even connect to it to get a list of the folders in the share.

          As I said I can also connect into it via telnet, but just not perform
          all commands.

          I have disabled the firewall on the router and it appears to make no
          difference.

          So, I am at a lose as to what this could be.

          Ian

          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Carl Zetie" <carl.zetie@...> wrote:

          > >Is the slug on the same sub-net?
          >
          > Specifically: is your slug set up with a static IP address or DHCP?
          > Different brands of router default to different subnets. Netgear, if
          memory
          > serves, defaults to 192.168.1.x (with the router itself on 192.168.1.1).
          > Others default to 192.168.0.x or even (in the case of some Belkin gear)
          > 192.168.2.x. So if your slug has a static IP address on the subnet
          of the
          > first router, you would be able to connect when connected to that
          one but
          > not the other.
          >
          > Another possibility is that the two routers use the same subnet but
          are set
          > up to have different ranges of IP address reserved for DHCP. For
          example,
          > some start assigning DHCP addresses by default at 192.168.50.1 and
          up, and
          > others at 192.168.100.1 and up. So its possible that your slug has a
          static
          > IP address of e.g. 192.168.50.1 that works fine on one router, but
          > duplicates the DHCP-assigned IP address of another computer on your
          network
          > on the other router.
          >
          > HTH,
          > Carl
          >

          > --
          > View my personal blog at TheCzarDictates.blogspot.com
          >
          > The contents of this message represent the
          > personal opinion of Carl Zetie and do not
          > reflect the opinions of his employer

        • gigacarl
          Message 4 of 5 , May 18, 2008
            wrote:

            > Another possibility is that the two routers use the same subnet but
            are set
            > up to have different ranges of IP address reserved for DHCP. For
            example,
            > some start assigning DHCP addresses by default at 192.168.50.1 and
            up, and
            > others at 192.168.100.1 and up. So its possible that your slug has a
            static
            > IP address of e.g. 192.168.50.1 that works fine on one router, but
            > duplicates the DHCP-assigned IP address of another computer on your
            network
            > on the other router.

            D'oh! That should of course read "... 192.168.1.50 ...
            192.168.1.100 ... 192.168.1.50 ..."