Re: Power Supply Tips - Which is correct? PLEASE help.

  • efilvasers
    Message 1 of 6 , May 14, 2008
      RadioShack does have the connectors that you can solder yourself, they
      say "Size N" and they're $2.99 for two.

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Rob Lockhart" <rlockhar@...> wrote:

      > On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 7:44 PM, Michael <heartspeace@...> wrote:
      > > I read that I need a 2.5mm plug at 5v dc and 2amp to fit and run the
      > > NSLU2 correctly.
      > >
      > > Upon receiving it though - the center pin for the NSLU2 seems too bug
      > > for the female recepter on the power supply. Is the NSLU2 center pin
      > > really a 3mm pin?
      > >
      > > I saw at: http://www.action-electronics.com/dcpowerplugs.htm
      > >
      > > # 30-347 2.5mm x 5.5 DC JACK to 3.0mm DC PLUG
      > >
      > > which is 2.5mm to 3.00mm jack. However, I am very confused as to if
      > > this is correct or not.
      > >
      > > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Info/PowerSupply
      >
      > If you're in the USA, I would suggest going to Radio Shack. They can
      > probably match the NSLU2 native power connector. They sell connectors
      > that you can solder for around $2. Just note that the center is +5V
      > and the surround is ground. If you're good with a soldering iron and
      > a voltmeter, this should be a pretty easy mod. When you cut the
      > connector on the existing 5V power supply (your Ebay unit), just be
      > sure to keep the leads from touching when powered. Best bet is to
      > solder the connections, then ensure they won't touch in the connector
      > you soldered, then power it up and measure voltage (confirm inner=
      > +5V, outer = ground).
      >
      > After you figure out the power connector (or they) then please do
      > update the wiki above.
      >
      > You are alert in noting that there is a spec for the outside diameter
      > as well as the inside diameter (in mm units). I can probably measure
      > the outside diameter but I don't have tools to measure the inside.
      >
      > Regards,
      > -Rob

    • Rob Lockhart
      Message 2 of 6 , May 15, 2008

        On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 7:41 PM, efilvasers <efilvasers@...> wrote:

        RadioShack does have the connectors that you can solder yourself, they
        > say "Size N" and they're $2.99 for two.

        Interesting... According to the website, the female jack for "Size N"
        shows:
        "This metal panel-mount coax-style DC power jack accepts 5.5mm O.D.x2.5mm
        I.D. plugs."

        Looking at the details for the male plug shows:
        "Tip size: 5.5mm O.D.x2.5mm I.D."

        Going back to the original poster (Michael), perhaps it seems that the ID is
        not the problem here?
        (ID = Inner Diameter, OD = Outer Diameter) I don't quite understand how a
        smaller OD would be a problem. Surely, a smaller OD would fit in the NSLU2
        power connector (if it accepts a 5.5mm OD plug).

        Are you sure that the power connector from Ebay is indeed 5.0mm OD x2.5mm
        ID?

      • chakrabortysp
        Message 3 of 6 , May 16, 2008
          wrote:

          > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Rob Lockhart" <rlockhar@>
          wrote:

          > > > If you're in the USA, I would suggest going to Radio Shack.
          They can
          > > > probably match the NSLU2 native power connector. They sell
          connectors
          > > > that you can solder for around $2. Just note that the center
          is +5V
          > > > and the surround is ground. If you're good with a soldering
          iron and
          > > > a voltmeter, this should be a pretty easy mod. When you cut
          the
          > > > connector on the existing 5V power supply (your Ebay unit),
          just be
          > > > sure to keep the leads from touching when powered. Best bet
          is to
          > > > solder the connections, then ensure they won't touch in the
          connector
          > > > you soldered, then power it up and measure voltage (confirm
          inner=
          > > > +5V, outer = ground).
          > > >

          > On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 7:41 PM, efilvasers <efilvasers@...> wrote:
          >
          > RadioShack does have the connectors that you can solder yourself,
          they
          > > say "Size N" and they're $2.99 for two.
          > >

          > Interesting... According to the website, the female jack
          for "Size N"
          > shows:
          > "This metal panel-mount coax-style DC power jack accepts 5.5mm
          O.D.x2.5mm
          > I.D. plugs."
          >
          > Looking at the details for the male plug shows:
          > "Tip size: 5.5mm O.D.x2.5mm I.D."
          >
          > Going back to the original poster (Michael), perhaps it seems that
          the ID is
          > not the problem here?
          > (ID = Inner Diameter, OD = Outer Diameter) I don't quite
          understand how a
          > smaller OD would be a problem. Surely, a smaller OD would fit in
          the NSLU2
          > power connector (if it accepts a 5.5mm OD plug).
          >
          > Are you sure that the power connector from Ebay is indeed 5.0mm OD
          x2.5mm
          > ID?

        • bullfrog528
          Message 4 of 6 , May 19, 2008
            --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Michael" <heartspeace@...>
            wrote:

            > I read that I need a 2.5mm plug at 5v dc and 2amp to fit and run
            the
            > NSLU2 correctly.
            >
            > So I saw and bought this:
            >
            > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
            > ViewItem&item=230247681101&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.com%3A80%
            > 2Fsearch%2Fsearch.dll%3Ffrom%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dm37%26satitle%
            > 3D230247681101%26category0%3D%26fvi%3D1
            >
            > (Ebay Item # 230247681101)
            >
            > It said:
            >

            > BRAND NEW 5V 2.5A AC adapter Power supply
            > Brand:R&F
            > TYPE:5V25A 5525
            > Adapter Type:Replacement AC adapter(non-OEM)
            > Input Voltage: 100V-240VAC (50-60Hz)
            > Output Voltage: 5 Volts DC
            > Amperage: 2.5Amps
            > Power: 13W
            > DC Plus Dimension: 5.5mmX2.5mm
            > Connector:
            > Condition:Brand New 100%
            > Includes Adapter and Power Cord Cable(fit for your country)
            > Warranty:1 Year
            >
            > Upon receiving it though - the center pin for the NSLU2 seems too
            bug
            > for the female recepter on the power supply. Is the NSLU2 center
            pin
            > really a 3mm pin?
            >
            > I saw at: http://www.action-electronics.com/dcpowerplugs.htm
            >
            > # 30-347 2.5mm x 5.5 DC JACK to 3.0mm DC PLUG
            >
            > which is 2.5mm to 3.00mm jack. However, I am very confused as to
            if
            > this is correct or not.
            >
            > PLEASE HELP.
            >
            > Michael
            >

            > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Info/PowerSupply

            Have you confirmed that the part numbers on the power supply you
            have received match those from the auction. Is the supplied power
            supply by any chance got a part number of 5V25A 5521 rather than
            5V25A 5525?

            Can you provide all the details from the label on the received power
            supply, so we can do a search on it's specs direct from the
            manufacturer (R&F). All the NSLU2's I've been in contact with (about
            8 or 9) have all been 2.5mm Inside Diameter power plugs.

            Bullfrog (Jeremy)