Power Supply Tips - Which is correct? PLEASE help.

  • Michael
    Message 1 of 6 , May 13 4:44 PM
      I read that I need a 2.5mm plug at 5v dc and 2amp to fit and run the
      NSLU2 correctly.

      So I saw and bought this:

      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
      ViewItem&item=230247681101&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.com%3A80%
      2Fsearch%2Fsearch.dll%3Ffrom%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dm37%26satitle%
      3D230247681101%26category0%3D%26fvi%3D1

      (Ebay Item # 230247681101)

      It said:

      BRAND NEW 5V 2.5A AC adapter Power supply
      Brand:R&F
      TYPE:5V25A 5525
      Adapter Type:Replacement AC adapter(non-OEM)
      Input Voltage: 100V-240VAC (50-60Hz)
      Output Voltage: 5 Volts DC
      Amperage: 2.5Amps
      Power: 13W
      DC Plus Dimension: 5.5mmX2.5mm
      Connector:
      Condition:Brand New 100%
      Includes Adapter and Power Cord Cable(fit for your country)
      Warranty:1 Year

      Upon receiving it though - the center pin for the NSLU2 seems too bug
      for the female recepter on the power supply. Is the NSLU2 center pin
      really a 3mm pin?

      I saw at: http://www.action-electronics.com/dcpowerplugs.htm

      # 30-347 2.5mm x 5.5 DC JACK to 3.0mm DC PLUG

      which is 2.5mm to 3.00mm jack. However, I am very confused as to if
      this is correct or not.

      PLEASE HELP.

      Michael

      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Info/PowerSupply
    • Rob Lockhart
      Message 2 of 6 , May 14 4:38 PM
        On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 7:44 PM, Michael <heartspeace@...> wrote:
        > I read that I need a 2.5mm plug at 5v dc and 2amp to fit and run the
        > NSLU2 correctly.
        >
        > Upon receiving it though - the center pin for the NSLU2 seems too bug
        > for the female recepter on the power supply. Is the NSLU2 center pin
        > really a 3mm pin?
        >
        > I saw at: http://www.action-electronics.com/dcpowerplugs.htm
        >
        > # 30-347 2.5mm x 5.5 DC JACK to 3.0mm DC PLUG
        >
        > which is 2.5mm to 3.00mm jack. However, I am very confused as to if
        > this is correct or not.
        >
        > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Info/PowerSupply

        If you're in the USA, I would suggest going to Radio Shack. They can
        probably match the NSLU2 native power connector. They sell connectors
        that you can solder for around $2. Just note that the center is +5V
        and the surround is ground. If you're good with a soldering iron and
        a voltmeter, this should be a pretty easy mod. When you cut the
        connector on the existing 5V power supply (your Ebay unit), just be
        sure to keep the leads from touching when powered. Best bet is to
        solder the connections, then ensure they won't touch in the connector
        you soldered, then power it up and measure voltage (confirm inner=
        +5V, outer = ground).

        After you figure out the power connector (or they) then please do
        update the wiki above.

        You are alert in noting that there is a spec for the outside diameter
        as well as the inside diameter (in mm units). I can probably measure
        the outside diameter but I don't have tools to measure the inside.

        Regards,
        -Rob
      • efilvasers
        Message 3 of 6 , May 14 4:41 PM
          RadioShack does have the connectors that you can solder yourself, they
          say "Size N" and they're $2.99 for two.

          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Rob Lockhart" <rlockhar@...> wrote:

          > On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 7:44 PM, Michael <heartspeace@...> wrote:
          > > I read that I need a 2.5mm plug at 5v dc and 2amp to fit and run the
          > > NSLU2 correctly.
          > >
          > > Upon receiving it though - the center pin for the NSLU2 seems too bug
          > > for the female recepter on the power supply. Is the NSLU2 center pin
          > > really a 3mm pin?
          > >
          > > I saw at: http://www.action-electronics.com/dcpowerplugs.htm
          > >
          > > # 30-347 2.5mm x 5.5 DC JACK to 3.0mm DC PLUG
          > >
          > > which is 2.5mm to 3.00mm jack. However, I am very confused as to if
          > > this is correct or not.
          > >
          > > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Info/PowerSupply
          >
          > If you're in the USA, I would suggest going to Radio Shack. They can
          > probably match the NSLU2 native power connector. They sell connectors
          > that you can solder for around $2. Just note that the center is +5V
          > and the surround is ground. If you're good with a soldering iron and
          > a voltmeter, this should be a pretty easy mod. When you cut the
          > connector on the existing 5V power supply (your Ebay unit), just be
          > sure to keep the leads from touching when powered. Best bet is to
          > solder the connections, then ensure they won't touch in the connector
          > you soldered, then power it up and measure voltage (confirm inner=
          > +5V, outer = ground).
          >
          > After you figure out the power connector (or they) then please do
          > update the wiki above.
          >
          > You are alert in noting that there is a spec for the outside diameter
          > as well as the inside diameter (in mm units). I can probably measure
          > the outside diameter but I don't have tools to measure the inside.
          >
          > Regards,
          > -Rob

        • Rob Lockhart
          Message 4 of 6 , May 15 5:18 AM

            On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 7:41 PM, efilvasers <efilvasers@...> wrote:

            RadioShack does have the connectors that you can solder yourself, they
            > say "Size N" and they're $2.99 for two.

            Interesting... According to the website, the female jack for "Size N"
            shows:
            "This metal panel-mount coax-style DC power jack accepts 5.5mm O.D.x2.5mm
            I.D. plugs."

            Looking at the details for the male plug shows:
            "Tip size: 5.5mm O.D.x2.5mm I.D."

            Going back to the original poster (Michael), perhaps it seems that the ID is
            not the problem here?
            (ID = Inner Diameter, OD = Outer Diameter) I don't quite understand how a
            smaller OD would be a problem. Surely, a smaller OD would fit in the NSLU2
            power connector (if it accepts a 5.5mm OD plug).

            Are you sure that the power connector from Ebay is indeed 5.0mm OD x2.5mm
            ID?

          • chakrabortysp
            Message 5 of 6 , May 16 12:48 AM
              wrote:

              > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Rob Lockhart" <rlockhar@>
              wrote:

              > > > If you're in the USA, I would suggest going to Radio Shack.
              They can
              > > > probably match the NSLU2 native power connector. They sell
              connectors
              > > > that you can solder for around $2. Just note that the center
              is +5V
              > > > and the surround is ground. If you're good with a soldering
              iron and
              > > > a voltmeter, this should be a pretty easy mod. When you cut
              the
              > > > connector on the existing 5V power supply (your Ebay unit),
              just be
              > > > sure to keep the leads from touching when powered. Best bet
              is to
              > > > solder the connections, then ensure they won't touch in the
              connector
              > > > you soldered, then power it up and measure voltage (confirm
              inner=
              > > > +5V, outer = ground).
              > > >

              > On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 7:41 PM, efilvasers <efilvasers@...> wrote:
              >
              > RadioShack does have the connectors that you can solder yourself,
              they
              > > say "Size N" and they're $2.99 for two.
              > >

              > Interesting... According to the website, the female jack
              for "Size N"
              > shows:
              > "This metal panel-mount coax-style DC power jack accepts 5.5mm
              O.D.x2.5mm
              > I.D. plugs."
              >
              > Looking at the details for the male plug shows:
              > "Tip size: 5.5mm O.D.x2.5mm I.D."
              >
              > Going back to the original poster (Michael), perhaps it seems that
              the ID is
              > not the problem here?
              > (ID = Inner Diameter, OD = Outer Diameter) I don't quite
              understand how a
              > smaller OD would be a problem. Surely, a smaller OD would fit in
              the NSLU2
              > power connector (if it accepts a 5.5mm OD plug).
              >
              > Are you sure that the power connector from Ebay is indeed 5.0mm OD
              x2.5mm
              > ID?

            • bullfrog528
              Message 6 of 6 , May 19 10:22 AM
                --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Michael" <heartspeace@...>
                wrote:

                > I read that I need a 2.5mm plug at 5v dc and 2amp to fit and run
                the
                > NSLU2 correctly.
                >
                > So I saw and bought this:
                >
                > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
                > ViewItem&item=230247681101&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.com%3A80%
                > 2Fsearch%2Fsearch.dll%3Ffrom%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dm37%26satitle%
                > 3D230247681101%26category0%3D%26fvi%3D1
                >
                > (Ebay Item # 230247681101)
                >
                > It said:
                >

                > BRAND NEW 5V 2.5A AC adapter Power supply
                > Brand:R&F
                > TYPE:5V25A 5525
                > Adapter Type:Replacement AC adapter(non-OEM)
                > Input Voltage: 100V-240VAC (50-60Hz)
                > Output Voltage: 5 Volts DC
                > Amperage: 2.5Amps
                > Power: 13W
                > DC Plus Dimension: 5.5mmX2.5mm
                > Connector:
                > Condition:Brand New 100%
                > Includes Adapter and Power Cord Cable(fit for your country)
                > Warranty:1 Year
                >
                > Upon receiving it though - the center pin for the NSLU2 seems too
                bug
                > for the female recepter on the power supply. Is the NSLU2 center
                pin
                > really a 3mm pin?
                >
                > I saw at: http://www.action-electronics.com/dcpowerplugs.htm
                >
                > # 30-347 2.5mm x 5.5 DC JACK to 3.0mm DC PLUG
                >
                > which is 2.5mm to 3.00mm jack. However, I am very confused as to
                if
                > this is correct or not.
                >
                > PLEASE HELP.
                >
                > Michael
                >

                > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Info/PowerSupply

                Have you confirmed that the part numbers on the power supply you
                have received match those from the auction. Is the supplied power
                supply by any chance got a part number of 5V25A 5521 rather than
                5V25A 5525?

                Can you provide all the details from the label on the received power
                supply, so we can do a search on it's specs direct from the
                manufacturer (R&F). All the NSLU2's I've been in contact with (about
                8 or 9) have all been 2.5mm Inside Diameter power plugs.

                Bullfrog (Jeremy)