Re: NSLU2 using 7805s and a 12V battery

  • bullfrog528
    Message 1 of 15 , May 3 9:35 AM
      Is there any particular reason your trying to run this off a 12Volt
      battery?

      If you need 12V to run the rest of the project.You could have two
      6Volt batteries in series use the the 12V to run whatever it is and
      tap 6V out from the link between the two and regulate that down to
      5Volts. The lower battery will discharge quicker mind.

      |------ 12v ---> to rest of project
      []6volt batt
      |------6V ----> to 5volt reg and onto nslu2
      []6volt batt
      |______ov

      As they say there is always more than one way to string a cat.

      Bullfrog

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "bullfrog528" <yahoo@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi
      >
      > Must admit I'm somewhat rusty on my electronics theory. Regulators
      > are rated with suitable heatsinks fitted.They are very derated
      > without heatsinks. Various problems here - the regulator has to
      > disapate a 7V drop as well as the actual current drawn. There is a
      > way to use a 78xx regulator with an external transistor to boost
      > current.
      >
      > See page 22 of the datasheet below for a 7805 which shows a
      typical
      > cct.
      >
      > http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheets/228/390068_DS.pdf
      >
      > A large Watt rated resistor between the 12V and the input to the
      > regulator may also help, but regulation might become an issue as
      the
      > volt drop across the resistor would increase as current increased.
      >
      > Jeremy (Bullfrog528)
      >

      > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, efil vasers <efilvasers@>
      > wrote:
      > >

      > > I'm trying to run my NSLU2 (with a 1GB flash drive, connected to
      > an old wifi
      > > router) from a 12 volt SLA rechargeable battery (5Ah) using 7805
      > voltage
      > > regulators.
      > > So far, I've tried a few different regulators (rated 1 or 1.5
      > amps), and
      > > when I turn the NSLU2 on, after about 30 seconds, the regulators
      > are too hot
      > > to touch and soon shut themselves down.
      > > I'm not sure what the problem is.
      > > Just to try, I connected it with a single 7805 (1 amp), which
      > immediately
      > > shut itself off.
      > >
      > > I connected the regulators in parallel with each other to
      provide
      > up to 3
      > > amps (more than the NSLU2 power supply), so I figured that I
      > wouldn't need
      > > heatsinks for them. Am I wrong, or is my NSLU2 just behaving
      > strangely?
      > > How many people out there have tried this?
      > >
      > > (For those wondering, this is for a robotics project for school,
      > and the
      > > NSLU2 is running Debian)
      > > --

    • efilvasers
      Message 2 of 15 , May 3 10:56 AM
        Thanks for all your responses.

        I'm using a 12V battery because it's what I happened to have on hand.
        The NSLU2, three Arduinos, and a few various ICs and LEDs need the 5
        volts, while the wifi router needs 12, and all the motors use 9 (the
        actual robot itself is made with LEGO).

        As for solving this problem, I googled around a bit and found a
        solution for connecting 78xx's in parallel; it involves diodes on the
        outputs to isolate them, and one between their ground pins and the
        real ground to cancel out the voltage drop.

        The other solution I am considering is from the datasheet that
        bullfrog528 linked me to; on page 23, adding a PNP power transistor
        and 3 ohm resistor.

        I'll try both of these later tonight once I get myself to RadioShack.
        I neglected to mention before that this project is already about one
        day late and I don't have the time to wait for orders to ship.

      • oabroad
        Message 3 of 15 , May 4 11:55 AM
          One option worth considering is a switching regulator. These have the
          huge advantage that they are efficient so don't create all that waste
          heat and could halve the current drain from the battery.

          If you can get hold of one you could do worse than get the Texas
          instruments TPS5430EVM-173 evaluation module, I've seen it priced at
          £7.99 and is supplied configured as a 5v 3A regulator. Failing that
          I've got a design for a 5V 1A switch reg that can be built on
          stripboard for a BOM cost of about £2.50 last time I costed it.

          wrote:

> [...]
          Regulators
          > > > are rated with suitable heatsinks fitted.They are very derated
          > > > without heatsinks. Various problems here - the regulator has to
          > > > disapate a 7V drop as well as the actual current drawn. There
          is a
          > > > way to use a 78xx regulator with an external transistor to
          boost
          > > > current.
          > > >
          > > > See page 22 of the datasheet below for a 7805 which shows a
          > > typical
          > > > cct.
          > > >
          > > > http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheets/228/390068_DS.pdf
          > > >
          > > > A large Watt rated resistor between the 12V and the input to
          the
          > > > regulator may also help, but regulation might become an issue
          as
          > > the
          > > > volt drop across the resistor would increase as current

          Nabble.com.

        • Philip Pemberton
          Message 4 of 15 , May 4 12:05 PM
            efil vasers wrote:
            > So far, I've tried a few different regulators (rated 1 or 1.5 amps), and
            > when I turn the NSLU2 on, after about 30 seconds, the regulators are too hot
            > to touch and soon shut themselves down.

            OK, this is going to be a long post, mainly because I don't like saying that
            something is going wrong, I also like saying exactly *why* it's going wrong
            and how I came to the conclusion. If you've seen Big Bang Theory, think
            'Sheldon with slightly better social skills' :)

            Two things that could cause this:

            You're trying to drop too much power over the 7805s.
            7805s are linear regulators (and horribly inefficient ones at that, but
            they're cheap and pretty much the 'jellybean standard' so everyone uses them).
            That means that any voltage drop has to be dissipated in the form of heat...
            So let's do the math:

            Your input voltage is 13.8V (assuming a fully charged SLA battery). You're
            using 7805s, so your output is 5V. That means a voltage drop of 8.8V by virtue of:
            13.8V - 5.0V = 8.8V

            You're also dumping a peak of 2A over the the regulators (though ~1A typical;
            the USB ports are rated for 500mA each for a total of 1A). That's 17.6 Watts:
            8.8V * 2A = 17.6W

            Or with the USBs 'open' (nothing connected), we assume 1A because:
            2A - (500mA * 2) = 1A

            Thus:
            8.8V * 1A = 8.8W

            So your regulators have to dissipate between 8.8 and 17.6 Watts of energy as
            heat. And probably more than that because of internal inefficiencies. That's a
            lot of heat!

            Your heatsink isn't big enough
            ------------------------------
            You need to get rid of 17.6W of heat, and keep the temperature of the chip die
            itself below the thermal cutoff point (70 Celsius if I remember correctly). I
            honestly can't remember the calculations for heatsinks off the top of my head,
            but you can probably find them in 'The Art of Electronics' by Horowitz and
            Hill. Or on the internet.

            OK, so your possible solutions would be:
            - A switching regulator. These are pretty much turn-key these days, but you
            have to be careful with them. Good PCB layout is essential, heatsinking less
            so. Also, because you're not wasting as much energy as heat, your battery will
            last longer.
            - A bigger heatsink. Probably something about the size of a PC processor
            heatsink, with a fan, and drilled to take your regulator. You'll need some
            thermal grease and an insulator pad too.
            - A pre-regulator. Add another regulator in front of the 7805 to
            pre-regulate the 12V down to 8V, then feed the 8V to the 7805. Still horribly
            inefficient, but you're distributing the load over two separate chips, which
            reduces the heat output per chip.

            > I connected the regulators in parallel with each other to provide up to 3
            > amps (more than the NSLU2 power supply), so I figured that I wouldn't need
            > heatsinks for them. Am I wrong, or is my NSLU2 just behaving strangely?
            > How many people out there have tried this?

            You shouldn't parallel 7805s. One chip will end up with a lower voltage than
            the others (due to internal tolerances), and that'll take most of the load.
            Result being that it ends up getting roasted, then when it eventually blows
            you get a cascading failure of all the other 7805s. Lots of fun, involving
            burned plastic, melted silicon and smoke that really isn't good for your
            health or the chips'.

            You can add an external pass transistor though -- though it's been ages since
            I've done it. I do recall it involves a 10-ohm resistor and a beefy PNP
            transistor though. Cost is likely to be more than a switcher, though.

            Thanks,
            --
            Phil. | (\_/) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny
            ygroups@... | (='.'=) into your signature to help him gain
            Message 5 of 15 , May 4 12:05 PM
              oabroad: a schematic and parts list would be great.
              I've been fiddling with other ways; if I don't have the parts to make
              a switching regulator, I'll probably use a 2N3055 with a 7805.

              --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "oabroad" <oliverb@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > > I neglected to mention before that this project is already about one
              > > day late and I don't have the time to wait for orders to ship.
              > >
              > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "bullfrog528" <yahoo@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Is there any particular reason your trying to run this off a
              > 12Volt
              > > > battery?
              > > >
              > > > If you need 12V to run the rest of the project.You could have two
              > > > 6Volt batteries in series use the the 12V to run whatever it is
              > and
              > > > tap 6V out from the link between the two and regulate that down
              > > > 5Volts. The lower battery will discharge quicker mind.
              > > >

              > > > |------ 12v ---> to rest of project
              > > > []6volt batt
              > > > |------6V ----> to 5volt reg and onto nslu2
              > > > []6volt batt
              > > > |______ov
              > > >

              > > > As they say there is always more than one way to string a cat.

            • Philip Pemberton
              Message 6 of 15 , May 4 12:15 PM
                efilvasers wrote:
                > oabroad: a schematic and parts list would be great.
                > I've been fiddling with other ways; if I don't have the parts to make
                > a switching regulator, I'll probably use a 2N3055 with a 7805.

                Take a look at this:
                <http://www.romanblack.com/smps/smps.htm>

                It's a two-transistor (plus three resistors, three capacitors and a Zener
                diode) switching regulator based on parts you can get from most electronics
                parts dealers. You might need to wind the inductor yourself, or steal one from
                a broken electronic device of some kind (or even a PC power supply if you have
                a broken one lying around).

                The beauty of it is that it'll work with most small inductors and is
                incredibly easy to build. It's also a nice, easy introduction to the workings
                of an SMPSU (moreso with Roman's explanation of how it all works).

                If you want more info on SMPSUs, Microchip's website has an appnote on "buck"
                switch-mode converter design -- the so-called buck topology is a voltage
                step-down type SMPSU variant (Boost is one of the other topologies, there are
                a ton of others - see
                <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switched-mode_power_supply> for a bit more info).

                --
                Phil. | (\_/) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny
                ygroups@... | (='.'=) into your signature to help him gain
                http://www.philpem.me.uk/ | (")_(") world domination.
              • Peter Serbe
                Message 7 of 15 , May 4 12:39 PM
                  Hi there guys,

                  take a tip from an old H/W engineer:
                  surf to the National website (www.national.com) and then go on
                  the webench design software. Fill in Your specs - it will
                  propose You an LM25576. You may have to register though.

                  It's not worth to try to learn the intricacies of switching
                  regulator design for such a simple task.

                  Best regards
                  Peter

                  Message 8 of 15 , May 5 5:11 PM
                    First off, I'd like to thank you all again for your help.
                    I should have done a bit more research before jumping head first into
                    this project.
                    Next time around, I'm definitely going with a switching regulator.
                    My quick solution is this:
                    A 2N3055, bolted to an old CPU heatsink (which still had some thermal
                    compound on it), with the base connected to a 7805 (with a small heat
                    sink), collector to the battery, and emitter to the NSLU2 (and other
                    electronics).
                    Also, the ground pin of the 7805 is connected to the real ground
                    through a 1A diode; when I measured the emitter voltage without this,
                    it read about 4.4 volts, went up to about 5.2 after adding it (runs
                    about 4.9 with the NSLU2 on).
                    The 7805 heatsink doesn't even warm up, while the 2N3055 heatsink
                    warms up after a couple of minutes, but went back down to near room
                    temperature when I placed an extra 80mm fan next to it.
                    I'm using the same solution for the 9 volt regulator (both sharing the
                    same fan).

                    --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Philip Pemberton <ygroups@...>
                    wrote:

> [...]
                    strangely?
                    > > How many people out there have tried this?
                    >
                    > You shouldn't parallel 7805s. One chip will end up with a lower
                    voltage than
                    > the others (due to internal tolerances), and that'll take most of
                    the load.
                    > Result being that it ends up getting roasted, then when it
                    eventually blows
                    > you get a cascading failure of all the other 7805s. Lots of fun,
                    involving
                    > burned plastic, melted silicon and smoke that really isn't good for
                    your
                    > health or the chips'.
                    >
                    > You can add an external pass transistor though -- though it's been
                    ages since
                    > I've done it. I do recall it involves a 10-ohm resistor and a beefy PNP
                    > transistor though. Cost is likely to be more than a switcher, though.

                  • Phil Reed
                    Message 9 of 15 , May 6 8:12 AM
                      Take a look at the products from Dimension Engineering. They have a
                      number of small, easily integrated switching power supplies you could use.

                      http://www.dimensionengineering.com/

                      (just a happy customer...)

                      ...phil

                      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, efil vasers <efilvasers@...> wrote:

                      > I'm trying to run my NSLU2 (with a 1GB flash drive, connected to an
                      old wifi
                      > router) from a 12 volt SLA rechargeable battery (5Ah) using 7805 voltage
                      > regulators.
                      > So far, I've tried a few different regulators (rated 1 or 1.5 amps), and
                      > when I turn the NSLU2 on, after about 30 seconds, the regulators are
                      too hot
                      > to touch and soon shut themselves down.
                      > I'm not sure what the problem is.
                      > Just to try, I connected it with a single 7805 (1 amp), which
                      immediately
                      > shut itself off.
                      >
                      > I connected the regulators in parallel with each other to provide up
                      to 3
                      > amps (more than the NSLU2 power supply), so I figured that I
                      wouldn't need
                      > heatsinks for them. Am I wrong, or is my NSLU2 just behaving strangely?
                      > How many people out there have tried this?
                      >
                      > (For those wondering, this is for a robotics project for school, and the
                      > NSLU2 is running Debian)
                      > --

                    • oabroad
                      Message 10 of 15 , May 6 9:58 PM
                        I just remembered a design trick for boosting a regulator: one
                        circuit I've seen used a PNP power transistor with the base
                        connected to the INPUT of the regulator (with a bypass resistor,
                        probably 22ohms). By putting the junction on the input side the
                        output regulation isn't compromised by Vbe drop.

                        wrote:

                        > First off, I'd like to thank you all again for your help.
                        > I should have done a bit more research before jumping head first
                        into
                        > this project.
                        > Next time around, I'm definitely going with a switching regulator.
                        > My quick solution is this:
                        > A 2N3055, bolted to an old CPU heatsink (which still had some
                        thermal
                        > compound on it), with the base connected to a 7805 (with a small
                        heat
                        > sink), collector to the battery, and emitter to the NSLU2 (and
                        other
                        > electronics).
                        > Also, the ground pin of the 7805 is connected to the real ground
                        > through a 1A diode; when I measured the emitter voltage without
                        this,
                        > it read about 4.4 volts, went up to about 5.2 after adding it (runs
                        > about 4.9 with the NSLU2 on).
                        > The 7805 heatsink doesn't even warm up, while the 2N3055 heatsink
                        > warms up after a couple of minutes, but went back down to near room
                        > temperature when I placed an extra 80mm fan next to it.
                        > I'm using the same solution for the 9 volt regulator (both sharing
                        the
                        > same fan).

                      • tbering2002
                        Message 11 of 15 , May 8 7:32 AM
                          In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "efilvasers" <efilvasers@
                          ...>
                          wrote:
                          > Next time around, I'm definitely going with a switching regulator.

                          You might want to take a look at www.national.com and use one of their
                          simple switching regulator circuits. Your battery would last longer,
                          and digikey can supply almost all the parts you need to build the design.

                          National Semiconductor even has a nice tool
                          http://www.national.com/appinfo/power/webench.html to automatically
                          design your application.

                          Additionally, digikey has some pre-made switching regulator modules.
                          If you use those, you only need to add capacitors, and thus they are
                          more prototype friendly. Some of the DC-DC modules will be even
                          easier to connect than your power boosted 7805. Look at the 78HCT205
                          or the 78ST305.