Re: NSLU2 using 7805s and a 12V battery

  • mackowiakp
    Message 1 of 15 , May 3 3:48 AM
      This is the worst way to make proper 5 V supply from 12 V battery,
      because 60% of power from battery is chaned in to heat not in to power
      necessery to supply NSLU. The solution is to use DV/DV converter. You
      can buy such converter for example in ELFA internet shop. Just
      www.elfa.se and choose the language most usefull for You. And than try
      to find DV/DV converter model DC/DC THD12-1211 by TRACO Power. This is
      expensive solution but it resolve Your problem for century.

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, efil vasers <efilvasers@...> wrote:

      > I'm trying to run my NSLU2 (with a 1GB flash drive, connected to an
      old wifi
      > router) from a 12 volt SLA rechargeable battery (5Ah) using 7805 voltage
      > regulators.
      > So far, I've tried a few different regulators (rated 1 or 1.5 amps), and
      > when I turn the NSLU2 on, after about 30 seconds, the regulators are
      too hot
      > to touch and soon shut themselves down.
      > I'm not sure what the problem is.
      > Just to try, I connected it with a single 7805 (1 amp), which
      immediately
      > shut itself off.
      >
      > I connected the regulators in parallel with each other to provide up
      to 3
      > amps (more than the NSLU2 power supply), so I figured that I
      wouldn't need
      > heatsinks for them. Am I wrong, or is my NSLU2 just behaving strangely?
      > How many people out there have tried this?
      >
      > (For those wondering, this is for a robotics project for school, and the
      > NSLU2 is running Debian)
      > --

    • Klaus Ruebsam
      Message 2 of 15 , May 3 6:11 AM
        Efil,

        12V-5V=7V

        7V*1A=7W (heat!!)
        7V*1.5A=10.5W (even more heat!!)

        >So far, I've tried a few different regulators (rated 1 or 1.5 amps), and
        when I turn the NSLU2 on, after about 30 seconds, the regulators are too hot
        to touch and soon shut themselves down.

        They are rated 1 or 1.5A as long as you take care on proper cooling
        (heatsink).

        >I'm not sure what the problem is.

        You quite likely forgot the hitsink for the regulator

        > I connected the regulators in parallel with each other to provide up to 3
        amps (more than the NSLU2 power supply), so I figured that I wouldn't need
        heatsinks for them. Am I wrong, or is my NSLU2 just behaving strangely?

        Conneting them in parallel makes a shortage on their output. Never ever do
        that!!! It is OK to do so with transistors, but not with power regulators
        that have protection circuits in them.

        I would search for a DC/DC-converter that converts your 12V down to 5V but
        without converting the voltage difference into heat. Those DC/DC-comvertrs
        actuaklly comnvert the input DC into an AC, route it through a transformer
        and rectify it again. The loss within the transformer is little compared to
        the loss you would have in a normal regulator (with ist proper heatsink
        attached!!!).

        Best regards,

        Klaus
      • bullfrog528
        Message 3 of 15 , May 3 9:35 AM
          Is there any particular reason your trying to run this off a 12Volt
          battery?

          If you need 12V to run the rest of the project.You could have two
          6Volt batteries in series use the the 12V to run whatever it is and
          tap 6V out from the link between the two and regulate that down to
          5Volts. The lower battery will discharge quicker mind.

          |------ 12v ---> to rest of project
          []6volt batt
          |------6V ----> to 5volt reg and onto nslu2
          []6volt batt
          |______ov

          As they say there is always more than one way to string a cat.

          Bullfrog

          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "bullfrog528" <yahoo@...>
          wrote:

          > Hi
          >
          > Must admit I'm somewhat rusty on my electronics theory. Regulators
          > are rated with suitable heatsinks fitted.They are very derated
          > without heatsinks. Various problems here - the regulator has to
          > disapate a 7V drop as well as the actual current drawn. There is a
          > way to use a 78xx regulator with an external transistor to boost
          > current.
          >
          > See page 22 of the datasheet below for a 7805 which shows a
          typical
          > cct.
          >
          > http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheets/228/390068_DS.pdf
          >
          > A large Watt rated resistor between the 12V and the input to the
          > regulator may also help, but regulation might become an issue as
          the
          > volt drop across the resistor would increase as current increased.
          >
          > Jeremy (Bullfrog528)
          >

          > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, efil vasers <efilvasers@>
          > wrote:
          > >

          > > I'm trying to run my NSLU2 (with a 1GB flash drive, connected to
          > an old wifi
          > > router) from a 12 volt SLA rechargeable battery (5Ah) using 7805
          > voltage
          > > regulators.
          > > So far, I've tried a few different regulators (rated 1 or 1.5
          > amps), and
          > > when I turn the NSLU2 on, after about 30 seconds, the regulators
          > are too hot
          > > to touch and soon shut themselves down.
          > > I'm not sure what the problem is.
          > > Just to try, I connected it with a single 7805 (1 amp), which
          > immediately
          > > shut itself off.
          > >
          > > I connected the regulators in parallel with each other to
          provide
          > up to 3
          > > amps (more than the NSLU2 power supply), so I figured that I
          > wouldn't need
          > > heatsinks for them. Am I wrong, or is my NSLU2 just behaving
          > strangely?
          > > How many people out there have tried this?
          > >
          > > (For those wondering, this is for a robotics project for school,
          > and the
          > > NSLU2 is running Debian)
          > > --

        • efilvasers
          Message 4 of 15 , May 3 10:56 AM
            Thanks for all your responses.

            I'm using a 12V battery because it's what I happened to have on hand.
            The NSLU2, three Arduinos, and a few various ICs and LEDs need the 5
            volts, while the wifi router needs 12, and all the motors use 9 (the
            actual robot itself is made with LEGO).

            As for solving this problem, I googled around a bit and found a
            solution for connecting 78xx's in parallel; it involves diodes on the
            outputs to isolate them, and one between their ground pins and the
            real ground to cancel out the voltage drop.

            The other solution I am considering is from the datasheet that
            bullfrog528 linked me to; on page 23, adding a PNP power transistor
            and 3 ohm resistor.

            I'll try both of these later tonight once I get myself to RadioShack.
            I neglected to mention before that this project is already about one
            day late and I don't have the time to wait for orders to ship.

          • oabroad
            Message 5 of 15 , May 4 11:55 AM
              One option worth considering is a switching regulator. These have the
              huge advantage that they are efficient so don't create all that waste
              heat and could halve the current drain from the battery.

              If you can get hold of one you could do worse than get the Texas
              instruments TPS5430EVM-173 evaluation module, I've seen it priced at
              £7.99 and is supplied configured as a 5v 3A regulator. Failing that
              I've got a design for a 5V 1A switch reg that can be built on
              stripboard for a BOM cost of about £2.50 last time I costed it.

              wrote:

> [...]
              Regulators
              > > > are rated with suitable heatsinks fitted.They are very derated
              > > > without heatsinks. Various problems here - the regulator has to
              > > > disapate a 7V drop as well as the actual current drawn. There
              is a
              > > > way to use a 78xx regulator with an external transistor to
              boost
              > > > current.
              > > >
              > > > See page 22 of the datasheet below for a 7805 which shows a
              > > typical
              > > > cct.
              > > >
              > > > http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheets/228/390068_DS.pdf
              > > >
              > > > A large Watt rated resistor between the 12V and the input to
              the
              > > > regulator may also help, but regulation might become an issue
              as
              > > the
              > > > volt drop across the resistor would increase as current

              Nabble.com.

            • Philip Pemberton
              Message 6 of 15 , May 4 12:05 PM
                efil vasers wrote:
                > So far, I've tried a few different regulators (rated 1 or 1.5 amps), and
                > when I turn the NSLU2 on, after about 30 seconds, the regulators are too hot
                > to touch and soon shut themselves down.

                OK, this is going to be a long post, mainly because I don't like saying that
                something is going wrong, I also like saying exactly *why* it's going wrong
                and how I came to the conclusion. If you've seen Big Bang Theory, think
                'Sheldon with slightly better social skills' :)

                Two things that could cause this:

                You're trying to drop too much power over the 7805s.
                7805s are linear regulators (and horribly inefficient ones at that, but
                they're cheap and pretty much the 'jellybean standard' so everyone uses them).
                That means that any voltage drop has to be dissipated in the form of heat...
                So let's do the math:

                Your input voltage is 13.8V (assuming a fully charged SLA battery). You're
                using 7805s, so your output is 5V. That means a voltage drop of 8.8V by virtue of:
                13.8V - 5.0V = 8.8V

                You're also dumping a peak of 2A over the the regulators (though ~1A typical;
                the USB ports are rated for 500mA each for a total of 1A). That's 17.6 Watts:
                8.8V * 2A = 17.6W

                Or with the USBs 'open' (nothing connected), we assume 1A because:
                2A - (500mA * 2) = 1A

                Thus:
                8.8V * 1A = 8.8W

                So your regulators have to dissipate between 8.8 and 17.6 Watts of energy as
                heat. And probably more than that because of internal inefficiencies. That's a
                lot of heat!

                Your heatsink isn't big enough
                ------------------------------
                You need to get rid of 17.6W of heat, and keep the temperature of the chip die
                itself below the thermal cutoff point (70 Celsius if I remember correctly). I
                honestly can't remember the calculations for heatsinks off the top of my head,
                but you can probably find them in 'The Art of Electronics' by Horowitz and
                Hill. Or on the internet.

                OK, so your possible solutions would be:
                - A switching regulator. These are pretty much turn-key these days, but you
                have to be careful with them. Good PCB layout is essential, heatsinking less
                so. Also, because you're not wasting as much energy as heat, your battery will
                last longer.
                - A bigger heatsink. Probably something about the size of a PC processor
                heatsink, with a fan, and drilled to take your regulator. You'll need some
                thermal grease and an insulator pad too.
                - A pre-regulator. Add another regulator in front of the 7805 to
                pre-regulate the 12V down to 8V, then feed the 8V to the 7805. Still horribly
                inefficient, but you're distributing the load over two separate chips, which
                reduces the heat output per chip.

                > I connected the regulators in parallel with each other to provide up to 3
                > amps (more than the NSLU2 power supply), so I figured that I wouldn't need
                > heatsinks for them. Am I wrong, or is my NSLU2 just behaving strangely?
                > How many people out there have tried this?

                You shouldn't parallel 7805s. One chip will end up with a lower voltage than
                the others (due to internal tolerances), and that'll take most of the load.
                Result being that it ends up getting roasted, then when it eventually blows
                you get a cascading failure of all the other 7805s. Lots of fun, involving
                burned plastic, melted silicon and smoke that really isn't good for your
                health or the chips'.

                You can add an external pass transistor though -- though it's been ages since
                I've done it. I do recall it involves a 10-ohm resistor and a beefy PNP
                transistor though. Cost is likely to be more than a switcher, though.

                Thanks,
                --
                Phil. | (\_/) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny
                ygroups@... | (='.'=) into your signature to help him gain
                Message 7 of 15 , May 4 12:05 PM
                  oabroad: a schematic and parts list would be great.
                  I've been fiddling with other ways; if I don't have the parts to make
                  a switching regulator, I'll probably use a 2N3055 with a 7805.

                  --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "oabroad" <oliverb@...> wrote:

> [...]
                  > > I neglected to mention before that this project is already about one
                  > > day late and I don't have the time to wait for orders to ship.
                  > >
                  > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "bullfrog528" <yahoo@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Is there any particular reason your trying to run this off a
                  > 12Volt
                  > > > battery?
                  > > >
                  > > > If you need 12V to run the rest of the project.You could have two
                  > > > 6Volt batteries in series use the the 12V to run whatever it is
                  > and
                  > > > tap 6V out from the link between the two and regulate that down
                  > > > 5Volts. The lower battery will discharge quicker mind.
                  > > >

                  > > > |------ 12v ---> to rest of project
                  > > > []6volt batt
                  > > > |------6V ----> to 5volt reg and onto nslu2
                  > > > []6volt batt
                  > > > |______ov
                  > > >

                  > > > As they say there is always more than one way to string a cat.

                • Philip Pemberton
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 4 12:15 PM
                    efilvasers wrote:
                    > oabroad: a schematic and parts list would be great.
                    > I've been fiddling with other ways; if I don't have the parts to make
                    > a switching regulator, I'll probably use a 2N3055 with a 7805.

                    Take a look at this:
                    <http://www.romanblack.com/smps/smps.htm>

                    It's a two-transistor (plus three resistors, three capacitors and a Zener
                    diode) switching regulator based on parts you can get from most electronics
                    parts dealers. You might need to wind the inductor yourself, or steal one from
                    a broken electronic device of some kind (or even a PC power supply if you have
                    a broken one lying around).

                    The beauty of it is that it'll work with most small inductors and is
                    incredibly easy to build. It's also a nice, easy introduction to the workings
                    of an SMPSU (moreso with Roman's explanation of how it all works).

                    If you want more info on SMPSUs, Microchip's website has an appnote on "buck"
                    switch-mode converter design -- the so-called buck topology is a voltage
                    step-down type SMPSU variant (Boost is one of the other topologies, there are
                    a ton of others - see
                    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switched-mode_power_supply> for a bit more info).

                    --
                    Phil. | (\_/) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny
                    ygroups@... | (='.'=) into your signature to help him gain
                    http://www.philpem.me.uk/ | (")_(") world domination.
                  • Peter Serbe
                    Message 9 of 15 , May 4 12:39 PM
                      Hi there guys,

                      take a tip from an old H/W engineer:
                      surf to the National website (www.national.com) and then go on
                      the webench design software. Fill in Your specs - it will
                      propose You an LM25576. You may have to register though.

                      It's not worth to try to learn the intricacies of switching
                      regulator design for such a simple task.

                      Best regards
                      Peter

                      Message 10 of 15 , May 5 5:11 PM
                        First off, I'd like to thank you all again for your help.
                        I should have done a bit more research before jumping head first into
                        this project.
                        Next time around, I'm definitely going with a switching regulator.
                        My quick solution is this:
                        A 2N3055, bolted to an old CPU heatsink (which still had some thermal
                        compound on it), with the base connected to a 7805 (with a small heat
                        sink), collector to the battery, and emitter to the NSLU2 (and other
                        electronics).
                        Also, the ground pin of the 7805 is connected to the real ground
                        through a 1A diode; when I measured the emitter voltage without this,
                        it read about 4.4 volts, went up to about 5.2 after adding it (runs
                        about 4.9 with the NSLU2 on).
                        The 7805 heatsink doesn't even warm up, while the 2N3055 heatsink
                        warms up after a couple of minutes, but went back down to near room
                        temperature when I placed an extra 80mm fan next to it.
                        I'm using the same solution for the 9 volt regulator (both sharing the
                        same fan).

                        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Philip Pemberton <ygroups@...>
                        wrote:

> [...]
                        strangely?
                        > > How many people out there have tried this?
                        >
                        > You shouldn't parallel 7805s. One chip will end up with a lower
                        voltage than
                        > the others (due to internal tolerances), and that'll take most of
                        the load.
                        > Result being that it ends up getting roasted, then when it
                        eventually blows
                        > you get a cascading failure of all the other 7805s. Lots of fun,
                        involving
                        > burned plastic, melted silicon and smoke that really isn't good for
                        your
                        > health or the chips'.
                        >
                        > You can add an external pass transistor though -- though it's been
                        ages since
                        > I've done it. I do recall it involves a 10-ohm resistor and a beefy PNP
                        > transistor though. Cost is likely to be more than a switcher, though.

                      • Phil Reed
                        Message 11 of 15 , May 6 8:12 AM
                          Take a look at the products from Dimension Engineering. They have a
                          number of small, easily integrated switching power supplies you could use.

                          http://www.dimensionengineering.com/

                          (just a happy customer...)

                          ...phil

                          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, efil vasers <efilvasers@...> wrote:

                          > I'm trying to run my NSLU2 (with a 1GB flash drive, connected to an
                          old wifi
                          > router) from a 12 volt SLA rechargeable battery (5Ah) using 7805 voltage
                          > regulators.
                          > So far, I've tried a few different regulators (rated 1 or 1.5 amps), and
                          > when I turn the NSLU2 on, after about 30 seconds, the regulators are
                          too hot
                          > to touch and soon shut themselves down.
                          > I'm not sure what the problem is.
                          > Just to try, I connected it with a single 7805 (1 amp), which
                          immediately
                          > shut itself off.
                          >
                          > I connected the regulators in parallel with each other to provide up
                          to 3
                          > amps (more than the NSLU2 power supply), so I figured that I
                          wouldn't need
                          > heatsinks for them. Am I wrong, or is my NSLU2 just behaving strangely?
                          > How many people out there have tried this?
                          >
                          > (For those wondering, this is for a robotics project for school, and the
                          > NSLU2 is running Debian)
                          > --

                        • oabroad
                          Message 12 of 15 , May 6 9:58 PM
                            I just remembered a design trick for boosting a regulator: one
                            circuit I've seen used a PNP power transistor with the base
                            connected to the INPUT of the regulator (with a bypass resistor,
                            probably 22ohms). By putting the junction on the input side the
                            output regulation isn't compromised by Vbe drop.

                            wrote:

                            > First off, I'd like to thank you all again for your help.
                            > I should have done a bit more research before jumping head first
                            into
                            > this project.
                            > Next time around, I'm definitely going with a switching regulator.
                            > My quick solution is this:
                            > A 2N3055, bolted to an old CPU heatsink (which still had some
                            thermal
                            > compound on it), with the base connected to a 7805 (with a small
                            heat
                            > sink), collector to the battery, and emitter to the NSLU2 (and
                            other
                            > electronics).
                            > Also, the ground pin of the 7805 is connected to the real ground
                            > through a 1A diode; when I measured the emitter voltage without
                            this,
                            > it read about 4.4 volts, went up to about 5.2 after adding it (runs
                            > about 4.9 with the NSLU2 on).
                            > The 7805 heatsink doesn't even warm up, while the 2N3055 heatsink
                            > warms up after a couple of minutes, but went back down to near room
                            > temperature when I placed an extra 80mm fan next to it.
                            > I'm using the same solution for the 9 volt regulator (both sharing
                            the
                            > same fan).

                          • tbering2002
                            Message 13 of 15 , May 8 7:32 AM
                              In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "efilvasers" <efilvasers@
                              ...>
                              wrote:
                              > Next time around, I'm definitely going with a switching regulator.

                              You might want to take a look at www.national.com and use one of their
                              simple switching regulator circuits. Your battery would last longer,
                              and digikey can supply almost all the parts you need to build the design.

                              National Semiconductor even has a nice tool
                              http://www.national.com/appinfo/power/webench.html to automatically
                              design your application.

                              Additionally, digikey has some pre-made switching regulator modules.
                              If you use those, you only need to add capacitors, and thus they are
                              more prototype friendly. Some of the DC-DC modules will be even
                              easier to connect than your power boosted 7805. Look at the 78HCT205
                              or the 78ST305.