Unable to connect to my SLUG

  • Steve Phariss
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 23 4:03 AM
      I am unable to connect into my SLUG. I was on unslung 5.5 untill I put it
      in storage, just recently I pulled it out again and wanted to upgrade it to
      6.10 I no longer have the original disks I had hooked up to it.

      I hooked up a network to it (Linux eth0 192.168.1.25) and was unable to
      bring up a web page or even ping it. as the frustration mounted <G> I
      tried upslug2 on it and I was able to flash the 6.10 firmware. I again
      tried to connect to the slug but was not able too. I thought that it might
      be something with the load, so I flashed the original linksys firmware.
      still no joy on connecting to the slug.

      So I guess I have a couple questions:
      1) Might I have damaged the slug by the firmware updates (upslug2 reported a
      successful flash each time)
      2) maybe I am doing something wrong with my network settings.
      3) since the last flash upgrade was to Linksys 2.3R29 (after having been 5.5
      and 6.10), is it REALLY at Linksys 2.3R29 level?

      If anyone has any Ideas they would be appreciated.

      Thanks,

      Steve P

    • Mike (mwester)
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 23 8:08 PM
        Steve Phariss wrote:
        > I am unable to connect into my SLUG. I was on unslung 5.5 untill I put it
        > in storage, just recently I pulled it out again and wanted to upgrade it to
        > 6.10 I no longer have the original disks I had hooked up to it.
        >
        > I hooked up a network to it (Linux eth0 192.168.1.25) and was unable to
        > bring up a web page or even ping it. as the frustration mounted <G> I
        > tried upslug2 on it and I was able to flash the 6.10 firmware. I again
        > tried to connect to the slug but was not able too. I thought that it might
        > be something with the load, so I flashed the original linksys firmware.
        > still no joy on connecting to the slug.
        >
        > So I guess I have a couple questions:
        > 1) Might I have damaged the slug by the firmware updates (upslug2 reported a
        > successful flash each time)

        No.

        > 2) maybe I am doing something wrong with my network settings.

        Probably.

        > 3) since the last flash upgrade was to Linksys 2.3R29 (after having been 5.5
        > and 6.10), is it REALLY at Linksys 2.3R29 level?

        Yes.

        > If anyone has any Ideas they would be appreciated.

        The network settings are preserved between flashes, so the unit is
        booting up with whatever the old settings were when you put it away so
        long ago.

        In order to reset it, flash the Linksys firmware, boot it up with no
        disks (wait for the beep to announce that it's booted), then follow the
        standard Linksys procedure to reset to the default settings (hold the
        reset button in for 20 or 30 seconds until it beeps).

        > Thanks,
        >
        > Steve P

        Mike (mwester)
      • Steve Phariss
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 23 8:58 PM
          The reset did it, I have now upgraded to unslung 6.10 :)

          On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 8:08 PM, Mike (mwester) <mwester@...> wrote:

          > Steve Phariss wrote:
          > > I am unable to connect into my SLUG. I was on unslung 5.5 untill I put
          > it
          > > in storage, just recently I pulled it out again and wanted to upgrade it
          > > 6.10 I no longer have the original disks I had hooked up to it.
          > >
          > > I hooked up a network to it (Linux eth0 192.168.1.25) and was unable to
          > > bring up a web page or even ping it. as the frustration mounted <G> I
          > > tried upslug2 on it and I was able to flash the 6.10 firmware. I again
          > > tried to connect to the slug but was not able too. I thought that it
          > might
          > > be something with the load, so I flashed the original linksys firmware.
          > > still no joy on connecting to the slug.
          > >
          > > So I guess I have a couple questions:
          > > 1) Might I have damaged the slug by the firmware updates (upslug2
          > reported a
          > > successful flash each time)
          >
          > No.
          >
          > > 2) maybe I am doing something wrong with my network settings.
          >
          > Probably.
          >
          > > 3) since the last flash upgrade was to Linksys 2.3R29 (after having been
          > 5.5
          > > and 6.10), is it REALLY at Linksys 2.3R29 level?
          >
          > Yes.
          >
          > > If anyone has any Ideas they would be appreciated.
          >
          > The network settings are preserved between flashes, so the unit is
          > booting up with whatever the old settings were when you put it away so
          > long ago.
          >
          > In order to reset it, flash the Linksys firmware, boot it up with no
          > disks (wait for the beep to announce that it's booted), then follow the
          > standard Linksys procedure to reset to the default settings (hold the
          > reset button in for 20 or 30 seconds until it beeps).
          >
          > > Thanks,
          > >
          > > Steve P
          >
          > Mike (mwester)

        • bingoonline
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 24 12:10 PM
            Steve,

            It maybe worth trying to ping 192.168.1.77 just in case it has
            returned to default for some reason.

            Is there a way on your switch or router to see the IP to MAC
            bindings? Could be called CAM table, ARP table, MAC table.......

            I used to have a windows utility which would ping a range of
            addresses, I think it was either wping or rping but i couldnt find it
            with a quick google. I did come across something called winping but
            have never used it so dont know anything about it.

            Better get back to fixing my slug........

            Good Luck

            Ollie

            --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Mike (mwester)" <mwester@...>
            wrote:

            > Steve Phariss wrote:
            > > I am unable to connect into my SLUG. I was on unslung 5.5 untill
            I put it
            > > in storage, just recently I pulled it out again and wanted to
            upgrade it to
            > > 6.10 I no longer have the original disks I had hooked up to it.
            > >
            > > I hooked up a network to it (Linux eth0 192.168.1.25) and was
            unable to
            > > bring up a web page or even ping it. as the frustration mounted
            <G> I
            > > tried upslug2 on it and I was able to flash the 6.10 firmware. I
            again
            > > tried to connect to the slug but was not able too. I thought
            that it might
            > > be something with the load, so I flashed the original linksys
            firmware.
            > > still no joy on connecting to the slug.
            > >
            > > So I guess I have a couple questions:
            > > 1) Might I have damaged the slug by the firmware updates (upslug2
            reported a
            > > successful flash each time)
            >
            > No.
            >
            > > 2) maybe I am doing something wrong with my network settings.
            >
            > Probably.
            >
            > > 3) since the last flash upgrade was to Linksys 2.3R29 (after
            having been 5.5
            > > and 6.10), is it REALLY at Linksys 2.3R29 level?
            >
            > Yes.
            >
            > > If anyone has any Ideas they would be appreciated.
            >
            > The network settings are preserved between flashes, so the unit is
            > booting up with whatever the old settings were when you put it away
            so
            > long ago.
            >
            > In order to reset it, flash the Linksys firmware, boot it up with
            no
            > disks (wait for the beep to announce that it's booted), then follow
            the
            > standard Linksys procedure to reset to the default settings (hold
            the
            > reset button in for 20 or 30 seconds until it beeps).
            >
            > > Thanks,
            > >
            > > Steve P
            >
            > Mike (mwester)

          • Steve Phariss
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 25 11:13 AM
              It was a combination of the slug needing to be reset to factor default
              (reset for 20-30 secs till beep) and having two network connections active
              on my computer in the same subnet. Once I fixed both those conditions I was
              able to access the slug.