Re: [nslu2-general] Newby question - NTFS partition not recognized

  • Marcel Nijenhof
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 21, 2008
      On Sun, 2008-04-20 at 15:05 +0000, Sean wrote:

      > I will apologize in advance as I am sure this question has been
      > answered but I did search and could not find anyone with this exact
      > problem.

      Have a look at:
      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung/R63DiskBehaviour

      > The bigger quesiton is how do I get both NTFS partitions to be
      > recognized by the NSLU2 (and why were both recognized the one time and
      > never again - I should never of powered down again after that).

      You could always mount them with the mount command.

      But probably the biggest problem is how to get ntfs stable.

      --
      Marcel Nijenhof
      Optware package develpor
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 25, 2008
        I have tried mounting them it always fails.
        when I type in mount, it shows my HDD_1_1_1 on sdb5 (rather than
        sdb1 as is suggested on R63diskbehaviour site. It does not list
        HD_1_1_2 (although I don't know if it will if it is not mounted.)
        When I type mount /var/sdb2 /share/hdd/data/HDD_1_1_2, I get a
        failed message with no explanation to why it has faile. I have
        created the HDD_1_1_2 directory if this helps.

        Is there any way to find and mount the second partition on my NTFS
        hard drive (as I mentioned in my first post on one power up cycle
        out of dozens the NSLU2 showed both partitions on the drive -
        HDD_1_1_1 and HDD_1_1_2, but since then I can only ever see
        HDD_1_1_1 and unfortunately if I am only able to see one partition,
        it is the other that I need access too.

        I have the feeling that I am doing a simple mistake, I am new to
        unix, and most of the forums assume at least a simple understanding
        of unix commands.

        Thanks, Sean Larsen
        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Marcel Nijenhof <nslu2@...>
        wrote:

        > On Sun, 2008-04-20 at 15:05 +0000, Sean wrote:
        >
        > > I will apologize in advance as I am sure this question has been
        > > answered but I did search and could not find anyone with this
        exact
        > > problem.
        >
        > Have a look at:
        > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung/R63DiskBehaviour
        >
        > > The bigger quesiton is how do I get both NTFS partitions to be
        > > recognized by the NSLU2 (and why were both recognized the one
        time and
        > > never again - I should never of powered down again after that).
        >
        > You could always mount them with the mount command.
        >
        > But probably the biggest problem is how to get ntfs stable.
        >
        > --
        > Marcel Nijenhof
        > Optware package develpor
        > nslu2@...

      • Marcel Nijenhof
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 25, 2008
          On Fri, 2008-04-25 at 14:47 +0000, Sean wrote:

          > I have tried mounting them it always fails.
          > when I type in mount, it shows my HDD_1_1_1 on sdb5 (rather than
          > sdb1 as is suggested on R63diskbehaviour site.

          Sdb5 is the first extended partition. So probably this
          disk contains a extended partition in stead of a
          primaire partition.

          Are you able to install the package "ipkg-web".
          After that browse to the page:
          http://<your slug>/Management/sluginfo.cgi

          And sent the result (you can mail it directly to me if
          you don't want to post the results on the list).

          In that case i have the compleet information of the
          slug including the disk partitions and the boot messages.

          More information:
          http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Optware/Ipkg-web

          --
          Marcel Nijenhof
          Optware package develpor
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 25, 2008
            I haven't tried installing ipkg-web, I will do that now in the mean
            time I have learned the fdisk command and here are the results if it
            helps

            # fdisk -l /dev/sdb

            Disk /dev/sdb: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 30515 cylinders
            Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 bytes

            Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
            /dev/sdb1 * 1 16084 129192808+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
            Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary:
            phys=(704, 239, 63) should be (704, 254, 63)
            /dev/sdb2 16084 30515 115917480 f Win95 Ext'd (LBA)
            Partition 2 does not end on cylinder boundary:
            phys=(677, 239, 63) should be (677, 254, 63)
            /dev/sdb5 16084 30515 115917448+ 7 HPFS/NTFS

            It appears that I want to mount /dev/sdb1 but this still fails

            now to install ipkg-web

            wrote:

            > On Fri, 2008-04-25 at 14:47 +0000, Sean wrote:
            >
            > > I have tried mounting them it always fails.
            > > when I type in mount, it shows my HDD_1_1_1 on sdb5 (rather than
            > > sdb1 as is suggested on R63diskbehaviour site.
            >
            > Sdb5 is the first extended partition. So probably this
            > disk contains a extended partition in stead of a
            > primaire partition.
            >
            > Are you able to install the package "ipkg-web".
            > After that browse to the page:
            > http://<your slug>/Management/sluginfo.cgi
            >
            > And sent the result (you can mail it directly to me if
            > you don't want to post the results on the list).
            >
            > In that case i have the compleet information of the
            > slug including the disk partitions and the boot messages.
            >
            > More information:
            > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Optware/Ipkg-web
            >
            > --
            > Marcel Nijenhof
            > Optware package develpor
            > nslu2@...

          • Sean
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 25, 2008
              wrote:
              > > Are you able to install the package "ipkg-web".
              > After that browse to the page:
              > http://<your slug>/Management/sluginfo.cgi
              > > --
              > Marcel Nijenhof
              > Optware package develpor
              > nslu2@...

              I am still not able to mount /dev/sdb1 I get:
              # mount /dev/sdb1 /share/hdd/data/HDD_1_1_2
              mount: mounting /dev/sdb1 on /share/hdd/data/HDD_1_1_2 failed
              #

              The "Disk" portion of sluginfo.cgi returned:

              Disks
              mounts
              rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
              /dev/root /initrd jffs2 rw 0 0
              /dev/sda1 / ext3 rw 0 0
              proc /proc proc rw 0 0
              usbdevfs /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs rw 0 0
              /dev/sda1 /share/flash/data ext3 rw 0 0
              /dev/sda2 /share/flash/conf ext3 rw,sync 0 0
              /dev/sdb5 /share/hdd/data/HDD_1_1_1 ufsd rw 0 0
              df
              Filesystem 1k-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
              /dev/sda1 480546452 60203428 415460952 13% /
              /dev/mtdblock4 6528 6212 316 95% /initrd
              /dev/sda1 480546452 60203428 415460952
              13% /share/flash/data
              /dev/sda2 116661 4161 111296
              4% /share/flash/conf
              /dev/sdb5 115917448 87283448 28634000
              75% /share/hdd/data/HDD_1_1_1
              sda

              Disk /dev/sda: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 60801 cylinders
              Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 bytes

              Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
              /dev/sda1 1 60779 488207286 83 Linux
              /dev/sda2 60780 60794 120487+ 83 Linux
              /dev/sda3 60795 60801 56227+ 82 Linux swap
              sdb

              Disk /dev/sdb: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 30515 cylinders
              Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 bytes

              Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
              /dev/sdb1 * 1 16084 129192808+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
              Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary:
              phys=(704, 239, 63) should be (704, 254, 63)
              /dev/sdb2 16084 30515 115917480 f Win95 Ext'd (LBA)
              Partition 2 does not end on cylinder boundary:
              phys=(677, 239, 63) should be (677, 254, 63)
              /dev/sdb5 16084 30515 115917448+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
              sdc
              sdd

              anyone able to give me some ideas
              Thanks, Sean
            • Sean
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 25, 2008
                I appologize to everyone, it turns out that the Master Boot Record had
                become corrupted. It was definitely an NTFS drive, but when I tried to
                hook it up to a windows machine it was labelled as a linux/EXT3 volume
                and could not be read, interestingly the unslung saw it as a NTFS drive
                but couldn't read it. I was able to repair the MBR and all is well.

                Anyone else ever have this happen - did the NSLU2 try to reformat the
                drive or change the file system to EXT3. I definitely did not try to
                format it with the NSLU2.

                Thanks,
                Sean
              • bnrobulesu
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 25, 2008
                  --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Sean" <seanclarissa@...> wrote:

                  > I will apologize in advance as I am sure this question has been
                  answered but I did search and
                  > could not find anyone with this exact problem. I recently upgraded
                  from Windows to Mac
                  > and was hoping to be able to take my Maxtor 250 gb IDE HD out of my
                  Windows machine
                  > (NTFS formatted with 2 separate partitions) and share it on my
                  network with the NSLU2 (using
                  > a generic IDE to USB HD enclosure). I also have a 500 gb western
                  digital USB drive plugged
                  > into NSLU2 which is ext3 formatted by the NSLU2 (no problems with
                  this drive). Here is my
                  > problem: When I plug my NTFS drive into USB port 2 I either get a
                  drive not formatted or no
                  > drive error. When I plug it into USB port 1, I usually can see the
                  second partition only
                  > (although with one power up cycle I was able to see both - however I
                  have not been able to
                  > repeat this). Initially I was using the R63 firmware although I
                  recently flashed UNSLUNG 6.10
                  > beta as I read in one forum that someone had better drive
                  recognition following this - still
                  > have the same problem. I have tried most of the drive recognition
                  techniques other than
                  > reformatting drive without success. I have 2 questions: Is it
                  possible to get the NTFS to be
                  > recognized on USB port 2 (I thought that R63 was supposed to
                  recognize NTFS from both
                  > ports). The bigger quesiton is how do I get both NTFS partitions to
                  be recognized by the
                  > NSLU2 (and why were both recognized the one time and never again - I
                  should never of
                  > powered down again after that).
                  > Thanks,
                  > Sean Larsen