Re: Broken NSLU2

  • docbillnet
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 15, 2008
      If bass didn't follow the wiki instructions for changing fsck
      defaults, it could just be the NSLU2 is stuck waiting for a "y"
      response to an fsck prompt while booting. The easiest way to fix
      this problem is just to plug the drive into another Linux machine and
      run fsck on that machine. If you only have Windows boxes, then I
      recommend downloading a Live CD/DVD with Linux on it. Knoppix and
      Fedora come to mind as Live CD's you can use for this recovery.

      Bill

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Rod Whitby" <rod@...> wrote:

      > We have never heard of an NSLU2 being hardware-damaged simply by
      turning it off.
      > First, try rebooting it without anything attached. The most likely
      cause of not booting after an uncontrolled shutdown is filesystem
      corruption on the attached flash disk or hard disk.
      > Second, use the hardware reset button upgrade mode to reflash new
      firmware. Use the vendor firmware, let it boot up, and hold in the
      reset button for 30 seconds to reset the network settings to factory
      defaults.
      > -- Rod

    • bass00nist89
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 15, 2008
        Hm, I tried both of those things. I have tried using different wall
        outlets in case it was the outlet. I have unplugged both the USB hard
        drive and ethernet cable from it, and I have held down the reset
        button. However, None of the leds will turn on. I am beginning to
        think it may be a faulty power adapter. Any thoughts?
      • bass00nist89
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 15, 2008
          Thanks for the suggestion Bill. But I don't think that is the problem
          because the device refuses to turn on even without the hardrive
          plugged in.
        • docbillnet
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 16, 2008
            --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "bass00nist89"
            <exxonvaldeez@...> wrote:

            > Thanks for the suggestion Bill. But I don't think that is the problem
            > because the device refuses to turn on even without the hardrive
            > plugged in.

            In that case, it is doubtful the problem is related to what you did.

            Bill