Broken NSLU2

  • bass00nist89
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 14, 2008
      A week or so ago we had bad weather and I stupidly unplugged my NSLU2
      along with a hard drive and rounter without shutting them off. Both
      the hard drive and router are fine but the NSLU2 refuses to turn on.
      Is there anything I can do to remedy the problem, could holding down
      the reset button work? Any other ideas?

      In the case that it is broken, would it be worth putting up for sale
      for scrap parts or no?
    • Rod Whitby
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 15, 2008
        We have never heard of an NSLU2 being hardware-damaged simply by turning it off.
        First, try rebooting it without anything attached. The most likely cause of not booting after an uncontrolled shutdown is filesystem corruption on the attached flash disk or hard disk.
        Second, use the hardware reset button upgrade mode to reflash new firmware. Use the vendor firmware, let it boot up, and hold in the reset button for 30 seconds to reset the network settings to factory defaults.
        -- Rod

        A week or so ago we had bad weather and I stupidly unplugged my NSLU2
        >along with a hard drive and rounter without shutting them off. Both
        >the hard drive and router are fine but the NSLU2 refuses to turn on.
        >Is there anything I can do to remedy the problem, could holding down
        >the reset button work? Any other ideas?
        >
        >In the case that it is broken, would it be worth putting up for sale for scrap parts or no?

      • docbillnet
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 15, 2008
          If bass didn't follow the wiki instructions for changing fsck
          defaults, it could just be the NSLU2 is stuck waiting for a "y"
          response to an fsck prompt while booting. The easiest way to fix
          this problem is just to plug the drive into another Linux machine and
          run fsck on that machine. If you only have Windows boxes, then I
          recommend downloading a Live CD/DVD with Linux on it. Knoppix and
          Fedora come to mind as Live CD's you can use for this recovery.

          Bill

          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Rod Whitby" <rod@...> wrote:

          > We have never heard of an NSLU2 being hardware-damaged simply by
          turning it off.
          > First, try rebooting it without anything attached. The most likely
          cause of not booting after an uncontrolled shutdown is filesystem
          corruption on the attached flash disk or hard disk.
          > Second, use the hardware reset button upgrade mode to reflash new
          firmware. Use the vendor firmware, let it boot up, and hold in the
          reset button for 30 seconds to reset the network settings to factory
          defaults.
          > -- Rod

        • bass00nist89
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 15, 2008
            Hm, I tried both of those things. I have tried using different wall
            outlets in case it was the outlet. I have unplugged both the USB hard
            drive and ethernet cable from it, and I have held down the reset
            button. However, None of the leds will turn on. I am beginning to
            think it may be a faulty power adapter. Any thoughts?
          • bass00nist89
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 15, 2008
              Thanks for the suggestion Bill. But I don't think that is the problem
              because the device refuses to turn on even without the hardrive
              plugged in.
            • docbillnet
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 16, 2008
                --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "bass00nist89"
                <exxonvaldeez@...> wrote:

                > Thanks for the suggestion Bill. But I don't think that is the problem
                > because the device refuses to turn on even without the hardrive
                > plugged in.

                In that case, it is doubtful the problem is related to what you did.

                Bill