Finally managed to spin down external USB drive

  • Matthias Berg
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 6, 2008

      I finally managed to spin down my external USB-drive. I post it here
      in case someone is interested in this:

      I run Debian and have an external USB-drive for data. I tried to spin
      it down using the techniques proposed on the wiki-page, but none of
      them seemed to work for me. I came across the tool hub-ctrl
      (http://www.gniibe.org/software/hub-ctrl.c), which allows you to
      cut the power to the drive on the usb-hub. You can compile it using
      "gcc -o hub-ctrl hub-ctrl.c -lusb"

      I can make my device spin down by "hub-ctrl -P 2" (it's attached to
      the second port) and start it again by "hub-ctrl -P 2 -p 1". Take care
      that you don't power off the port which holds your root partition. It
      will make your system unresponsive.

      Matthias