Problem with BST and File Synchronisation

  • ian_jefferyes
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 31, 2008

      I am using my NSLU2 for backing up all of my pictures, videos, music
      etc and am using a program called SyncBack to do the copying.

      But the problem I am hitting is that since the clocks went forward for
      British Summer Time (BST), all of the files now say that they are an
      hour out and therefore it is trying to copy them all again, aaahh!!

      Can someone tell me how I can get around this.

      I have tried playing with the time settings on the NSLU2 but these
      seem to make no difference.

      Cheers

      Ian
    • Carl Lowenstein
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 31, 2008
        On 3/31/08, ian_jefferyes <nslu2@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I am using my NSLU2 for backing up all of my pictures, videos, music
        > etc and am using a program called SyncBack to do the copying.
        >
        > But the problem I am hitting is that since the clocks went forward for
        > British Summer Time (BST), all of the files now say that they are an
        > hour out and therefore it is trying to copy them all again, aaahh!!
        >
        > Can someone tell me how I can get around this.
        >
        > I have tried playing with the time settings on the NSLU2 but these
        > seem to make no difference.

        Shouldn't you be keeping file times in UTC? That doesn't change with
        Summer Time. Maybe SyncBack is a Windows-centric program and doesn't
        know that file times should be kept in UTC, and displayed to the user
        in local time.

        carl
        --
        carl lowenstein
        marine physical lab, u.c. san diego
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 31, 2008
          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Carl Lowenstein"
          <clowenstein@...> wrote:

          > On 3/31/08, ian_jefferyes <nslu2@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi,
          > >
          > > I am using my NSLU2 for backing up all of my pictures, videos, music
          > > etc and am using a program called SyncBack to do the copying.
          > >
          > > But the problem I am hitting is that since the clocks went
          forward for
          > > British Summer Time (BST), all of the files now say that they are an
          > > hour out and therefore it is trying to copy them all again, aaahh!!
          > >
          > > Can someone tell me how I can get around this.
          > >
          > > I have tried playing with the time settings on the NSLU2 but these
          > > seem to make no difference.
          >
          > Shouldn't you be keeping file times in UTC? That doesn't change with
          > Summer Time. Maybe SyncBack is a Windows-centric program and doesn't
          > know that file times should be kept in UTC, and displayed to the user
          > in local time.
          >
          > carl
          > --
          > carl lowenstein
          > marine physical lab, u.c. san diego
          > clowenstein@...

          Yes, SyncBack is a Windows based program as it is running on my
          Windows based PC (sorry) and having had a quick look on the internet
          for UTC I think you are spot on.

          Am I right in thinking that there is nothing then on the NSLU2 that
          can be done to change the time of the files? Therefore this leaves me
          with two options.

          1. As you suggest use UTC on the PC and manually set the time.
          (although I have just tried this and all of my files are still an hour
          out so will need to be copied again).
          2. Change the Sync so it ignores differences in files of up to an
          hour. (Horrible but will work)

          Any other options gladly accepted.

          Cheers

          Ian
        • Carl Lowenstein
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 31, 2008
            On 3/31/08, ian_jefferyes <nslu2@...> wrote:

            > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Carl Lowenstein"
            > <clowenstein@...> wrote:
            >

            > > On 3/31/08, ian_jefferyes <nslu2@...> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Hi,
            > > >
            > > > I am using my NSLU2 for backing up all of my pictures, videos, music
            > > > etc and am using a program called SyncBack to do the copying.
            > > >
            > > > But the problem I am hitting is that since the clocks went
            > forward for
            > > > British Summer Time (BST), all of the files now say that they are an
            > > > hour out and therefore it is trying to copy them all again, aaahh!!
            > > >
            > > > Can someone tell me how I can get around this.
            > > >
            > > > I have tried playing with the time settings on the NSLU2 but these
            > > > seem to make no difference.
            > >
            > > Shouldn't you be keeping file times in UTC? That doesn't change with
            > > Summer Time. Maybe SyncBack is a Windows-centric program and doesn't
            > > know that file times should be kept in UTC, and displayed to the user
            > > in local time.
            > >
            > > carl
            > > --
            > > carl lowenstein
            > > marine physical lab, u.c. san diego
            > > clowenstein@...
            > >

            > Yes, SyncBack is a Windows based program as it is running on my
            > Windows based PC (sorry) and having had a quick look on the internet
            > for UTC I think you are spot on.
            >
            > Am I right in thinking that there is nothing then on the NSLU2 that
            > can be done to change the time of the files? Therefore this leaves me
            > with two options.
            >
            > 1. As you suggest use UTC on the PC and manually set the time.
            > (although I have just tried this and all of my files are still an hour
            > out so will need to be copied again).
            > 2. Change the Sync so it ignores differences in files of up to an
            > hour. (Horrible but will work)

            Leave the PC set to UK Standard Time (which seems to be the same as
            UTC) and tell it not to change for Daylight Time. I think you can do
            this to Windows, but I don't do windows very much.

            Can you ask the NSLU2 what time it thinks it is? Unix commands would be

            date # date and time in local zone
            date -u # date and time in UTC

            carl