In message <fruq5s+u3d8@...
>Sorry should have also said that in the log file there are lots of
>lines as follows:
>Thu Mar 20 22:57:05 2008 /usr/sbin/bftpd: Kicked from the server
>due to control connection timeout.
>Log file is:
I have seen this before, eventually traced this to a firmware problem
with my old BEFSX41 router. At the time it was known as the 10 minute
time out problem where the router closes every inactive connection after
10 minutes. The firmware was eventually patched to keep port 21 open for
longer if inactive. I seem to remember some users devised a temporary
work around I think using ping etc.
The sequence is :-
1. Control connection opened on port 21.
2. Data transfer starts using Passive port number ??.
3. Data transfer continues using Passive port number.
4. Router closes control port 21 after exactly 10 minutes due to
5. FTP client ( or perhaps FTP server) detects this so closes the
passive data port.
6. The sequence then repeats after re-negotiating the connection.
Suggest checking the log times to see if there is a time pattern.