Re: [nslu2-general] NSLU beginner - programmer with big problems :-(

  • Mike (mwester)
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 11, 2008
      jeppepeder wrote:
      > Hello !
      > I hope that someone PLEASE could help me, because I have spend more
      > than 40 hours on trying upgrading my NSLU. Now I have lost contact
      > with the NSLU and cant use it.
      > I have read a lot of webpages and used google, but not found a
      > solution.
      >
      > I have tryed to update the NSLU in two wayes but can't get further
      > on. In the following text I will explain what the status is, and the
      > status is called STATUS A and STATUS B. In both cases I try to upload
      > the firmware "Unslug 6.10Beta firmware" forund here:
      >
      > STATUS A:
      > ----------
      > I have downloaded the upgrade-program UgUtil described on the page
      > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Main/SercommFirmwareUpdater where I
      > found the link http://www.everbesthk.com/8-
      > download/sercomm/firmware/NU54/Upgrade_207_XP.zip.
      > First I bring the NSLU into the UpgradeMode readu for firmware
      > upgrade.
      > When I run the program Ugutil it find the NSLU and ask for the file
      > to upload. I select the first Unslug file mentioned on the page
      > http://www.slug-firmware.net/ with the text "Download Unslung
      > binaries". The program get through the "Erase EProm" an get further
      > to the "upload frimware", but it stay at 0% upload and the UgUtil
      > program send me an error message...

      Can you share that error message with us? That might be helpful.

      Lacking any other information, it seems as though you may have a network
      problem of sorts. Can you also describe how your host PC and the NSLU2
      are connected to the network, and what you have tried already (in terms
      of changing cables, etc.)?

      Mike (mwester)
    • jeppepeder
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 11, 2008
        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Mike (mwester)" <mwester@...>
        wrote:

        > jeppepeder wrote:
        > > Hello !
        > > I hope that someone PLEASE could help me, because I have spend
        more
        > > than 40 hours on trying upgrading my NSLU. Now I have lost
        contact
        > > with the NSLU and cant use it.
        > > I have read a lot of webpages and used google, but not found a
        > > solution.
        > >
        > > I have tryed to update the NSLU in two wayes but can't get
        further
        > > on. In the following text I will explain what the status is, and
        the
        > > status is called STATUS A and STATUS B. In both cases I try to
        upload
        > > the firmware "Unslug 6.10Beta firmware" forund here:
        > >
        > > STATUS A:
        > > ----------
        > > I have downloaded the upgrade-program UgUtil described on the
        page
        > > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Main/SercommFirmwareUpdater where
        > > found the link http://www.everbesthk.com/8-
        > > download/sercomm/firmware/NU54/Upgrade_207_XP.zip.
        > > First I bring the NSLU into the UpgradeMode readu for firmware
        > > upgrade.
        > > When I run the program Ugutil it find the NSLU and ask for the
        file
        > > to upload. I select the first Unslug file mentioned on the page
        > > http://www.slug-firmware.net/ with the text "Download Unslung
        > > binaries". The program get through the "Erase EProm" an get
        further
        > > to the "upload frimware", but it stay at 0% upload and the UgUtil
        > > program send me an error message...
        >
        > Can you share that error message with us? That might be helpful.
        >
        > Lacking any other information, it seems as though you may have a
        network
        > problem of sorts. Can you also describe how your host PC and the
        NSLU2
        > are connected to the network, and what you have tried already (in
        terms
        > of changing cables, etc.)?
        >
        > Mike (mwester)

        Upgrade Utility show NSLU2 device on netvork with the following
        information:
        Device Name: 001A70A1AF4
        Current Version: FFFF
        Upgrade version: 2363
        Device List: 001A70A1AF47

        First Upgradewindow show "Erasing EProm". Next it show "Upgrading ...
        0%" After a while it show a new window with the following text:

        Upgrade process fail, please check
        1. Print server power connection or
        2. Ethernet cable
        Upgrade not completed, please retry

        Upgrading is still at 0% when the program stop.

        I have tried to ping the NSLU2, at the following ip-adresses:
        192.168.1.77
        192.168.1.100
        no response. When ping'ing 192.168.2.255 I get the
        message "Hardwareerror".

        The NSLU are connected directly by Ethernet cable to my laptop.
        Everythin is 10 days old. When I recieved the NSLU2 it worked fine by
        Ethernet cable to my laptop and over my wireless router.

        I dont know what more to tell ?
      • wallace4793
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 12, 2008
          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "jeppepeder" <jeppepeder@...>
          wrote:

> [...]
          > Upgrade version: 2363
          > Device List: 001A70A1AF47
          >
          > First Upgradewindow show "Erasing EProm". Next it
          show "Upgrading ...
          > 0%" After a while it show a new window with the following text:
          >
          > Upgrade process fail, please check
          > 1. Print server power connection or
          > 2. Ethernet cable
          > Upgrade not completed, please retry
          >
          > Upgrading is still at 0% when the program stop.
          >
          > I have tried to ping the NSLU2, at the following ip-adresses:
          > 192.168.1.77
          > 192.168.1.100
          > no response. When ping'ing 192.168.2.255 I get the
          > message "Hardwareerror".
          >
          > The NSLU are connected directly by Ethernet cable to my laptop.
          > Everythin is 10 days old. When I recieved the NSLU2 it worked fine
          by
          > Ethernet cable to my laptop and over my wireless router.

          Hi

          Please note if you are using vista run the sercomm utility in xp sp2
          compatibiltiy mode or the flash will crash. I had the same symptoms
          till i did this.

          John

        • jeppepeder
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 12, 2008
            --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "wallace4793"
            <wallace47931@...> wrote:

            > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "jeppepeder" <jeppepeder@>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Mike (mwester)" <mwester@>
            > > wrote:

            > > more
            > > contact

            > > further
            > and
            > > the
            > > upload

            > > page
            > where
            > > file
            > > further
            > UgUtil
            > > >
            > > > Can you share that error message with us? That might be
            helpful.

            > > > Lacking any other information, it seems as though you may have
            > > network
            > > > problem of sorts. Can you also describe how your host PC and
            the
            > > NSLU2
            > > > are connected to the network, and what you have tried already
            (in
            > > terms
            > > > of changing cables, etc.)?
            > > >
            > > > Mike (mwester)
            > > >

            > > Upgrade Utility show NSLU2 device on netvork with the following
            > > information:
            > > Device Name: 001A70A1AF4
            > > Current Version: FFFF
            > > Upgrade version: 2363
            > > Device List: 001A70A1AF47
            > >
            > > First Upgradewindow show "Erasing EProm". Next it
            > show "Upgrading ...
            > > 0%" After a while it show a new window with the following text:
            > >
            > > Upgrade process fail, please check
            > > 1. Print server power connection or
            > > 2. Ethernet cable
            > > Upgrade not completed, please retry
            > >
            > > Upgrading is still at 0% when the program stop.
            > >
            > > I have tried to ping the NSLU2, at the following ip-adresses:
            > > 192.168.1.77
            > > 192.168.1.100
            > > no response. When ping'ing 192.168.2.255 I get the
            > > message "Hardwareerror".
            > >
            > > The NSLU are connected directly by Ethernet cable to my laptop.
            > > Everythin is 10 days old. When I recieved the NSLU2 it worked
            fine
            > by
            > > Ethernet cable to my laptop and over my wireless router.
            > >
            > > I dont know what more to tell ?
            >
            > Hi
            >
            > Please note if you are using vista run the sercomm utility in xp
            sp2
            > compatibiltiy mode or the flash will crash. I had the same symptoms
            > till i did this.
            >
            > John

            Dear John !

            Thany werry much for your input regarding MS Vista. I am working with
            Windows XP and understand the documentation that way, that the
            program will run without problems.

            Please correct me if I am wrong or have other input. Every input is
            wellcom.

            Thanks again.

            Japping
          • janne5011
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 12, 2008
              wrote:

              > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "wallace4793"
              > <wallace47931@> wrote:
              > >
              > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "jeppepeder" <jeppepeder@>
              > > wrote:
              > > >
              > > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Mike (mwester)"
              <mwester@>

              > spend
              > > > more
              > > > contact

              > > > further
              > > and
              > > > the
              > > > upload

              > > > page
              > > where
              > firmware
              > the
              > > > file
              > page
              Unslung
              > > > further
              > > UgUtil

              > helpful.

              > > > network
              > the
              > > > NSLU2
              > (in
              > > > terms

              > > > Upgrade Utility show NSLU2 device on netvork with the following
              > > > information:
              > > > Device Name: 001A70A1AF4
              > > > Current Version: FFFF
              > > > Upgrade version: 2363
              > > > Device List: 001A70A1AF47
              > > >
              > > > First Upgradewindow show "Erasing EProm". Next it
              > > show "Upgrading ...
              > > > 0%" After a while it show a new window with the following text:
              > > >
              > > > Upgrade process fail, please check
              > > > 1. Print server power connection or
              > > > 2. Ethernet cable
              > > > Upgrade not completed, please retry
              > > >
              > > > Upgrading is still at 0% when the program stop.
              > > >
              > > > I have tried to ping the NSLU2, at the following ip-adresses:
              > > > 192.168.1.77
              > > > 192.168.1.100
              > > > no response. When ping'ing 192.168.2.255 I get the
              > > > message "Hardwareerror".
              > > >
              > > > The NSLU are connected directly by Ethernet cable to my laptop.
              > > > Everythin is 10 days old. When I recieved the NSLU2 it worked
              > fine
              > > by
              > > > Ethernet cable to my laptop and over my wireless router.
              > > >
              > > > I dont know what more to tell ?
              > >
              > > Hi
              > >
              > > Please note if you are using vista run the sercomm utility in xp
              > sp2
              > > compatibiltiy mode or the flash will crash. I had the same
              symptoms
              > > till i did this.
              > >
              > > John
              > > >

              > Dear John !
              >
              > Thany werry much for your input regarding MS Vista. I am working
              with
              > Windows XP and understand the documentation that way, that the
              > program will run without problems.
              >
              > Please correct me if I am wrong or have other input. Every input is
              > wellcom.
              >
              > Thanks again.
              >
              > Japping

              One thing come to mind if you changed the IP on your slug before, it
              can be useful to add several IP:s in XP:
              your connection->properties that connection-->tcp/ip-->advanced.
              Add more IP:s under advanced tab.
              192.168.0.20,192.168.1.20,192.168.2.20 for example thoose.
              I dont know if this is useful but I see for example you wrote this:
              "When ping'ing 192.168.2.255" its make me wonder.

              I just want to inform that we got a irc-channel to
              http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Main/IRC
              Maybe, you can have tips there to, and get faster help.
              /J
            • jeppepeder
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 14, 2008
                --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "janne5011" <janne5011@...>
                wrote:

                > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "jeppepeder" <jeppepeder@>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "wallace4793"
                > > <wallace47931@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "jeppepeder"
                <jeppepeder@>

                > <mwester@>

                > > spend
                > found

                > is,
                > > > and

                > the
                linux.org/wiki/Main/SercommFirmwareUpdater
                > > > where
                > > firmware
                > > the
                > > page
                > Unslung
                > > > UgUtil

                > > helpful.

                > have
                > > the
                > > (in

                > > > show "Upgrading ...

                > > fine
                > > > by

                > > > Hi
                > > >
                > > > Please note if you are using vista run the sercomm utility in
                xp
                > > sp2
                > > > compatibiltiy mode or the flash will crash. I had the same
                > symptoms
                > > > till i did this.
                > > >
                > > > John
                > > > >

                > > Dear John !
                > >
                > > Thany werry much for your input regarding MS Vista. I am working
                > with
                > > Windows XP and understand the documentation that way, that the
                > > program will run without problems.
                > >
                > > Please correct me if I am wrong or have other input. Every input
                is
                > > wellcom.
                > >
                > > Thanks again.
                > >
                > > Japping
                >
                > One thing come to mind if you changed the IP on your slug before,
                it
                > can be useful to add several IP:s in XP:
                > your connection->properties that connection-->tcp/ip-->advanced.
                > Add more IP:s under advanced tab.
                > 192.168.0.20,192.168.1.20,192.168.2.20 for example thoose.
                > I dont know if this is useful but I see for example you wrote this:
                > "When ping'ing 192.168.2.255" its make me wonder.
                >
                > I just want to inform that we got a irc-channel to
                > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Main/IRC
                > Maybe, you can have tips there to, and get faster help.
                > /J

                Hi Jane !

                Thanks for your input I realy presiate that.
                I tested several IP-addresses without positive result.

                When EEProm is reset the Ready indicator lights red. But when
                flashing the Ready indicator returs to flashing Red/Green.

                The question is weather anyone in here use Windows XP as OS for
                firmware upload ?

                AND

                Does anyone in here live in Denmark and have the time to try
                uploadine firmware to my NSLU ?
              • janne5011
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 14, 2008
                  wrote:

> [...]
                  > > 192.168.0.20,192.168.1.20,192.168.2.20 for example thoose.
                  > > I dont know if this is useful but I see for example you wrote
                  this:
                  > > "When ping'ing 192.168.2.255" its make me wonder.
                  > >
                  > > I just want to inform that we got a irc-channel to
                  > > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Main/IRC
                  > > Maybe, you can have tips there to, and get faster help.
                  > > /J
                  > >
                  > Hi Jane !
                  >
                  > Thanks for your input I realy presiate that.
                  > I tested several IP-addresses without positive result.
                  >
                  > When EEProm is reset the Ready indicator lights red. But when
                  > flashing the Ready indicator returs to flashing Red/Green.
                  >
                  > The question is weather anyone in here use Windows XP as OS for
                  > firmware upload ?
                  >
                  > AND
                  >
                  > Does anyone in here live in Denmark and have the time to try

                  question #1: yes it works with secoom tool and win XP.

                  for removing one more possible problem: disable XP firewall and all
                  other firewalls if you have any and try again.

                • jeppepeder
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 16, 2008
                    wrote:

                    > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "jeppepeder" <jeppepeder@>
                    > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "janne5011" <janne5011@>
                    > > wrote:
                    > > >

                    > > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "jeppepeder"
                    <jeppepeder@>

                    > > <jeppepeder@>

                    > > > <mwester@>

                    > have
                    > > lost
                    > > > found

                    > > get
                    > status
                    > > > is,
                    > > try

                    > on
                    > > > the
                    > > linux.org/wiki/Main/SercommFirmwareUpdater
                    > > for
                    > > the
                    > > > Unslung
                    > > get
                    > > the

                    > > > have
                    PC
                    > > and
                    > > already

                    > > following

                    > > text:

                    > adresses:

                    > > laptop.
                    > worked

                    > > xp
                    > > > symptoms

                    > working
                    > > > with

                    > input
                    > > is

                    > > > One thing come to mind if you changed the IP on your slug
                    before,
                    > > it
                    > > > can be useful to add several IP:s in XP:
                    > > > your connection->properties that connection-->tcp/ip-->advanced.
                    > > > Add more IP:s under advanced tab.
                    > > > 192.168.0.20,192.168.1.20,192.168.2.20 for example thoose.
                    > > > I dont know if this is useful but I see for example you wrote
                    > this:
                    > > > "When ping'ing 192.168.2.255" its make me wonder.
                    > > >
                    > > > I just want to inform that we got a irc-channel to
                    > > > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Main/IRC
                    > > > Maybe, you can have tips there to, and get faster help.
                    > > > /J
                    > > >
                    > > Hi Jane !
                    > >
                    > > Thanks for your input I realy presiate that.
                    > > I tested several IP-addresses without positive result.
                    > >
                    > > When EEProm is reset the Ready indicator lights red. But when
                    > > flashing the Ready indicator returs to flashing Red/Green.
                    > >
                    > > The question is weather anyone in here use Windows XP as OS for
                    > > firmware upload ?
                    > >
                    > > AND
                    > >
                    > > Does anyone in here live in Denmark and have the time to try
                    > > uploadine firmware to my NSLU ?
                    >
                    > question #1: yes it works with secoom tool and win XP.
                    >
                    > for removing one more possible problem: disable XP firewall and all
                    > other firewalls if you have any and try again.

                    Hi !

                    Yeeeesssss, I have uploaded my first firmware. Thanks to all of you
                    for the inputs. Special thanks to Janne5011 regarding the use of
                    several IP's.

                    After using the IP's
                    192.168.0.150
                    192.168.1.150 and
                    192.168.2.150
                    and I turned the following software off:
                    SuperAntiSpyware 4.0.1154
                    Sygate Personal Firewall
                    SpywareGuard
                    Windows Firewall

                    (My NSLY have the IP 192.168.2.22)

                    it was possible to upload the firmware. At Earlier atemp I also
                    turned my security software off. Because of this, I belive that it
                    was the extra IP's that did the job.

                    Thanks again to all of you.