NSLU beginner - programmer with big problems :-(

  • jeppepeder
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 11, 2008
      Hello !
      I hope that someone PLEASE could help me, because I have spend more
      than 40 hours on trying upgrading my NSLU. Now I have lost contact
      with the NSLU and cant use it.
      I have read a lot of webpages and used google, but not found a
      solution.

      I have tryed to update the NSLU in two wayes but can't get further
      on. In the following text I will explain what the status is, and the
      status is called STATUS A and STATUS B. In both cases I try to upload
      the firmware "Unslug 6.10Beta firmware" forund here:

      STATUS A:
      ----------
      I have downloaded the upgrade-program UgUtil described on the page
      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Main/SercommFirmwareUpdater where I
      found the link http://www.everbesthk.com/8-
      download/sercomm/firmware/NU54/Upgrade_207_XP.zip.
      First I bring the NSLU into the UpgradeMode readu for firmware
      upgrade.
      When I run the program Ugutil it find the NSLU and ask for the file
      to upload. I select the first Unslug file mentioned on the page
      http://www.slug-firmware.net/ with the text "Download Unslung
      binaries". The program get through the "Erase EProm" an get further
      to the "upload frimware", but it stay at 0% upload and the UgUtil
      program send me an error message.

      STATUS B:
      ----------
      I followed the UpSlug2 guide on the page http://www.nslu2-
      linux.org/wiki/Main/UpSlug2. My computer normaly run Win XP and
      because of that, I made a CD with Knoppix from the page
      http://www.knoppix.net/. Knoppix is a Linux version that run from a
      CD-drive even though the computer have WinXP installed. My computer
      runs fine with Knoppix, and I tried to execute the following commands
      (mentioned in http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Main/UpSlug2):

      cd upslug2
      autoreconf -i
      ./configure
      make

      but get errors at the command autoreconf.

      REMARK:
      --------
      Please be aware of, that my NSLU all the time run in "upgarde mode".
      By all the time I mean, that eaven when I turn off the power and turn
      it on again, the NSLU returs to "upgrade mode" where the Ready/System
      indicator continously changes between Green and Red.

      PLEASE:
      --------
      Normaly I know how to get things up running, but this time I begin to
      get gray haired. Please help me befor I get too old.
    • Mike (mwester)
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 11, 2008
        jeppepeder wrote:
        > Hello !
        > I hope that someone PLEASE could help me, because I have spend more
        > than 40 hours on trying upgrading my NSLU. Now I have lost contact
        > with the NSLU and cant use it.
        > I have read a lot of webpages and used google, but not found a
        > solution.
        >
        > I have tryed to update the NSLU in two wayes but can't get further
        > on. In the following text I will explain what the status is, and the
        > status is called STATUS A and STATUS B. In both cases I try to upload
        > the firmware "Unslug 6.10Beta firmware" forund here:
        >
        > STATUS A:
        > ----------
        > I have downloaded the upgrade-program UgUtil described on the page
        > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Main/SercommFirmwareUpdater where I
        > found the link http://www.everbesthk.com/8-
        > download/sercomm/firmware/NU54/Upgrade_207_XP.zip.
        > First I bring the NSLU into the UpgradeMode readu for firmware
        > upgrade.
        > When I run the program Ugutil it find the NSLU and ask for the file
        > to upload. I select the first Unslug file mentioned on the page
        > http://www.slug-firmware.net/ with the text "Download Unslung
        > binaries". The program get through the "Erase EProm" an get further
        > to the "upload frimware", but it stay at 0% upload and the UgUtil
        > program send me an error message...

        Can you share that error message with us? That might be helpful.

        Lacking any other information, it seems as though you may have a network
        problem of sorts. Can you also describe how your host PC and the NSLU2
        are connected to the network, and what you have tried already (in terms
        of changing cables, etc.)?

        Mike (mwester)
      • jeppepeder
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 11, 2008
          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Mike (mwester)" <mwester@...>
          wrote:

          > jeppepeder wrote:
          > > Hello !
          > > I hope that someone PLEASE could help me, because I have spend
          more
          > > than 40 hours on trying upgrading my NSLU. Now I have lost
          contact
          > > with the NSLU and cant use it.
          > > I have read a lot of webpages and used google, but not found a
          > > solution.
          > >
          > > I have tryed to update the NSLU in two wayes but can't get
          further
          > > on. In the following text I will explain what the status is, and
          the
          > > status is called STATUS A and STATUS B. In both cases I try to
          upload
          > > the firmware "Unslug 6.10Beta firmware" forund here:
          > >
          > > STATUS A:
          > > ----------
          > > I have downloaded the upgrade-program UgUtil described on the
          page
          > > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Main/SercommFirmwareUpdater where
          > > found the link http://www.everbesthk.com/8-
          > > download/sercomm/firmware/NU54/Upgrade_207_XP.zip.
          > > First I bring the NSLU into the UpgradeMode readu for firmware
          > > upgrade.
          > > When I run the program Ugutil it find the NSLU and ask for the
          file
          > > to upload. I select the first Unslug file mentioned on the page
          > > http://www.slug-firmware.net/ with the text "Download Unslung
          > > binaries". The program get through the "Erase EProm" an get
          further
          > > to the "upload frimware", but it stay at 0% upload and the UgUtil
          > > program send me an error message...
          >
          > Can you share that error message with us? That might be helpful.
          >
          > Lacking any other information, it seems as though you may have a
          network
          > problem of sorts. Can you also describe how your host PC and the
          NSLU2
          > are connected to the network, and what you have tried already (in
          terms
          > of changing cables, etc.)?
          >
          > Mike (mwester)

          Upgrade Utility show NSLU2 device on netvork with the following
          information:
          Device Name: 001A70A1AF4
          Current Version: FFFF
          Upgrade version: 2363
          Device List: 001A70A1AF47

          First Upgradewindow show "Erasing EProm". Next it show "Upgrading ...
          0%" After a while it show a new window with the following text:

          Upgrade process fail, please check
          1. Print server power connection or
          2. Ethernet cable
          Upgrade not completed, please retry

          Upgrading is still at 0% when the program stop.

          I have tried to ping the NSLU2, at the following ip-adresses:
          192.168.1.77
          192.168.1.100
          no response. When ping'ing 192.168.2.255 I get the
          message "Hardwareerror".

          The NSLU are connected directly by Ethernet cable to my laptop.
          Everythin is 10 days old. When I recieved the NSLU2 it worked fine by
          Ethernet cable to my laptop and over my wireless router.

          I dont know what more to tell ?
        • wallace4793
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 12, 2008
            --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "jeppepeder" <jeppepeder@...>
            wrote:

> [...]
            > Upgrade version: 2363
            > Device List: 001A70A1AF47
            >
            > First Upgradewindow show "Erasing EProm". Next it
            show "Upgrading ...
            > 0%" After a while it show a new window with the following text:
            >
            > Upgrade process fail, please check
            > 1. Print server power connection or
            > 2. Ethernet cable
            > Upgrade not completed, please retry
            >
            > Upgrading is still at 0% when the program stop.
            >
            > I have tried to ping the NSLU2, at the following ip-adresses:
            > 192.168.1.77
            > 192.168.1.100
            > no response. When ping'ing 192.168.2.255 I get the
            > message "Hardwareerror".
            >
            > The NSLU are connected directly by Ethernet cable to my laptop.
            > Everythin is 10 days old. When I recieved the NSLU2 it worked fine
            by
            > Ethernet cable to my laptop and over my wireless router.

            Hi

            Please note if you are using vista run the sercomm utility in xp sp2
            compatibiltiy mode or the flash will crash. I had the same symptoms
            till i did this.

            John

          • jeppepeder
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 12, 2008
              --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "wallace4793"
              <wallace47931@...> wrote:

              > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "jeppepeder" <jeppepeder@>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Mike (mwester)" <mwester@>
              > > wrote:

              > > more
              > > contact

              > > further
              > and
              > > the
              > > upload

              > > page
              > where
              > > file
              > > further
              > UgUtil
              > > >
              > > > Can you share that error message with us? That might be
              helpful.

              > > > Lacking any other information, it seems as though you may have
              > > network
              > > > problem of sorts. Can you also describe how your host PC and
              the
              > > NSLU2
              > > > are connected to the network, and what you have tried already
              (in
              > > terms
              > > > of changing cables, etc.)?
              > > >
              > > > Mike (mwester)
              > > >

              > > Upgrade Utility show NSLU2 device on netvork with the following
              > > information:
              > > Device Name: 001A70A1AF4
              > > Current Version: FFFF
              > > Upgrade version: 2363
              > > Device List: 001A70A1AF47
              > >
              > > First Upgradewindow show "Erasing EProm". Next it
              > show "Upgrading ...
              > > 0%" After a while it show a new window with the following text:
              > >
              > > Upgrade process fail, please check
              > > 1. Print server power connection or
              > > 2. Ethernet cable
              > > Upgrade not completed, please retry
              > >
              > > Upgrading is still at 0% when the program stop.
              > >
              > > I have tried to ping the NSLU2, at the following ip-adresses:
              > > 192.168.1.77
              > > 192.168.1.100
              > > no response. When ping'ing 192.168.2.255 I get the
              > > message "Hardwareerror".
              > >
              > > The NSLU are connected directly by Ethernet cable to my laptop.
              > > Everythin is 10 days old. When I recieved the NSLU2 it worked
              fine
              > by
              > > Ethernet cable to my laptop and over my wireless router.
              > >
              > > I dont know what more to tell ?
              >
              > Hi
              >
              > Please note if you are using vista run the sercomm utility in xp
              sp2
              > compatibiltiy mode or the flash will crash. I had the same symptoms
              > till i did this.
              >
              > John

              Dear John !

              Thany werry much for your input regarding MS Vista. I am working with
              Windows XP and understand the documentation that way, that the
              program will run without problems.

              Please correct me if I am wrong or have other input. Every input is
              wellcom.

              Thanks again.

              Japping
            • janne5011
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 12, 2008
                wrote:

                > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "wallace4793"
                > <wallace47931@> wrote:
                > >
                > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "jeppepeder" <jeppepeder@>
                > > wrote:
                > > >
                > > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Mike (mwester)"
                <mwester@>

                > spend
                > > > more
                > > > contact

                > > > further
                > > and
                > > > the
                > > > upload

                > > > page
                > > where
                > firmware
                > the
                > > > file
                > page
                Unslung
                > > > further
                > > UgUtil

                > helpful.

                > > > network
                > the
                > > > NSLU2
                > (in
                > > > terms

                > > > Upgrade Utility show NSLU2 device on netvork with the following
                > > > information:
                > > > Device Name: 001A70A1AF4
                > > > Current Version: FFFF
                > > > Upgrade version: 2363
                > > > Device List: 001A70A1AF47
                > > >
                > > > First Upgradewindow show "Erasing EProm". Next it
                > > show "Upgrading ...
                > > > 0%" After a while it show a new window with the following text:
                > > >
                > > > Upgrade process fail, please check
                > > > 1. Print server power connection or
                > > > 2. Ethernet cable
                > > > Upgrade not completed, please retry
                > > >
                > > > Upgrading is still at 0% when the program stop.
                > > >
                > > > I have tried to ping the NSLU2, at the following ip-adresses:
                > > > 192.168.1.77
                > > > 192.168.1.100
                > > > no response. When ping'ing 192.168.2.255 I get the
                > > > message "Hardwareerror".
                > > >
                > > > The NSLU are connected directly by Ethernet cable to my laptop.
                > > > Everythin is 10 days old. When I recieved the NSLU2 it worked
                > fine
                > > by
                > > > Ethernet cable to my laptop and over my wireless router.
                > > >
                > > > I dont know what more to tell ?
                > >
                > > Hi
                > >
                > > Please note if you are using vista run the sercomm utility in xp
                > sp2
                > > compatibiltiy mode or the flash will crash. I had the same
                symptoms
                > > till i did this.
                > >
                > > John
                > > >

                > Dear John !
                >
                > Thany werry much for your input regarding MS Vista. I am working
                with
                > Windows XP and understand the documentation that way, that the
                > program will run without problems.
                >
                > Please correct me if I am wrong or have other input. Every input is
                > wellcom.
                >
                > Thanks again.
                >
                > Japping

                One thing come to mind if you changed the IP on your slug before, it
                can be useful to add several IP:s in XP:
                your connection->properties that connection-->tcp/ip-->advanced.
                Add more IP:s under advanced tab.
                192.168.0.20,192.168.1.20,192.168.2.20 for example thoose.
                I dont know if this is useful but I see for example you wrote this:
                "When ping'ing 192.168.2.255" its make me wonder.

                I just want to inform that we got a irc-channel to
                http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Main/IRC
                Maybe, you can have tips there to, and get faster help.
                /J
              • jeppepeder
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 14, 2008
                  --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "janne5011" <janne5011@...>
                  wrote:

                  > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "jeppepeder" <jeppepeder@>
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "wallace4793"
                  > > <wallace47931@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "jeppepeder"
                  <jeppepeder@>

                  > <mwester@>

                  > > spend
                  > found

                  > is,
                  > > > and

                  > the
                  linux.org/wiki/Main/SercommFirmwareUpdater
                  > > > where
                  > > firmware
                  > > the
                  > > page
                  > Unslung
                  > > > UgUtil

                  > > helpful.

                  > have
                  > > the
                  > > (in

                  > > > show "Upgrading ...

                  > > fine
                  > > > by

                  > > > Hi
                  > > >
                  > > > Please note if you are using vista run the sercomm utility in
                  xp
                  > > sp2
                  > > > compatibiltiy mode or the flash will crash. I had the same
                  > symptoms
                  > > > till i did this.
                  > > >
                  > > > John
                  > > > >

                  > > Dear John !
                  > >
                  > > Thany werry much for your input regarding MS Vista. I am working
                  > with
                  > > Windows XP and understand the documentation that way, that the
                  > > program will run without problems.
                  > >
                  > > Please correct me if I am wrong or have other input. Every input
                  is
                  > > wellcom.
                  > >
                  > > Thanks again.
                  > >
                  > > Japping
                  >
                  > One thing come to mind if you changed the IP on your slug before,
                  it
                  > can be useful to add several IP:s in XP:
                  > your connection->properties that connection-->tcp/ip-->advanced.
                  > Add more IP:s under advanced tab.
                  > 192.168.0.20,192.168.1.20,192.168.2.20 for example thoose.
                  > I dont know if this is useful but I see for example you wrote this:
                  > "When ping'ing 192.168.2.255" its make me wonder.
                  >
                  > I just want to inform that we got a irc-channel to
                  > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Main/IRC
                  > Maybe, you can have tips there to, and get faster help.
                  > /J

                  Hi Jane !

                  Thanks for your input I realy presiate that.
                  I tested several IP-addresses without positive result.

                  When EEProm is reset the Ready indicator lights red. But when
                  flashing the Ready indicator returs to flashing Red/Green.

                  The question is weather anyone in here use Windows XP as OS for
                  firmware upload ?

                  AND

                  Does anyone in here live in Denmark and have the time to try
                  uploadine firmware to my NSLU ?
                • janne5011
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 14, 2008
                    wrote:

> [...]
                    > > 192.168.0.20,192.168.1.20,192.168.2.20 for example thoose.
                    > > I dont know if this is useful but I see for example you wrote
                    this:
                    > > "When ping'ing 192.168.2.255" its make me wonder.
                    > >
                    > > I just want to inform that we got a irc-channel to
                    > > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Main/IRC
                    > > Maybe, you can have tips there to, and get faster help.
                    > > /J
                    > >
                    > Hi Jane !
                    >
                    > Thanks for your input I realy presiate that.
                    > I tested several IP-addresses without positive result.
                    >
                    > When EEProm is reset the Ready indicator lights red. But when
                    > flashing the Ready indicator returs to flashing Red/Green.
                    >
                    > The question is weather anyone in here use Windows XP as OS for
                    > firmware upload ?
                    >
                    > AND
                    >
                    > Does anyone in here live in Denmark and have the time to try

                    question #1: yes it works with secoom tool and win XP.

                    for removing one more possible problem: disable XP firewall and all
                    other firewalls if you have any and try again.

                  • jeppepeder
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 16, 2008
                      wrote:

                      > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "jeppepeder" <jeppepeder@>
                      > wrote:
                      > >
                      > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "janne5011" <janne5011@>
                      > > wrote:
                      > > >

                      > > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "jeppepeder"
                      <jeppepeder@>

                      > > <jeppepeder@>

                      > > > <mwester@>

                      > have
                      > > lost
                      > > > found

                      > > get
                      > status
                      > > > is,
                      > > try

                      > on
                      > > > the
                      > > linux.org/wiki/Main/SercommFirmwareUpdater
                      > > for
                      > > the
                      > > > Unslung
                      > > get
                      > > the

                      > > > have
                      PC
                      > > and
                      > > already

                      > > following

                      > > text:

                      > adresses:

                      > > laptop.
                      > worked

                      > > xp
                      > > > symptoms

                      > working
                      > > > with

                      > input
                      > > is

                      > > > One thing come to mind if you changed the IP on your slug
                      before,
                      > > it
                      > > > can be useful to add several IP:s in XP:
                      > > > your connection->properties that connection-->tcp/ip-->advanced.
                      > > > Add more IP:s under advanced tab.
                      > > > 192.168.0.20,192.168.1.20,192.168.2.20 for example thoose.
                      > > > I dont know if this is useful but I see for example you wrote
                      > this:
                      > > > "When ping'ing 192.168.2.255" its make me wonder.
                      > > >
                      > > > I just want to inform that we got a irc-channel to
                      > > > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Main/IRC
                      > > > Maybe, you can have tips there to, and get faster help.
                      > > > /J
                      > > >
                      > > Hi Jane !
                      > >
                      > > Thanks for your input I realy presiate that.
                      > > I tested several IP-addresses without positive result.
                      > >
                      > > When EEProm is reset the Ready indicator lights red. But when
                      > > flashing the Ready indicator returs to flashing Red/Green.
                      > >
                      > > The question is weather anyone in here use Windows XP as OS for
                      > > firmware upload ?
                      > >
                      > > AND
                      > >
                      > > Does anyone in here live in Denmark and have the time to try
                      > > uploadine firmware to my NSLU ?
                      >
                      > question #1: yes it works with secoom tool and win XP.
                      >
                      > for removing one more possible problem: disable XP firewall and all
                      > other firewalls if you have any and try again.

                      Hi !

                      Yeeeesssss, I have uploaded my first firmware. Thanks to all of you
                      for the inputs. Special thanks to Janne5011 regarding the use of
                      several IP's.

                      After using the IP's
                      192.168.0.150
                      192.168.1.150 and
                      192.168.2.150
                      and I turned the following software off:
                      SuperAntiSpyware 4.0.1154
                      Sygate Personal Firewall
                      SpywareGuard
                      Windows Firewall

                      (My NSLY have the IP 192.168.2.22)

                      it was possible to upload the firmware. At Earlier atemp I also
                      turned my security software off. Because of this, I belive that it
                      was the extra IP's that did the job.

                      Thanks again to all of you.