Mount drive from network

  • David Shepherd
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 7, 2008
      With unslung NSLU can I mount a drive on another machine on my network
      on the slug ... or do i need to install some extra packages.

      I'm (still) trying to connect the unslung slug to my WD Netcenters
      drives to get rsnapshot backups running and I'm assuming I ought to be
      able to mount them as smbfs drives.

      My knowledge of linux/unix is a little hazy ... enough to make me
      think I know what I'm doing but not necessarily to ensure I do it
      correctly!

      Adapting scripts I've found where poeple have mounted the slug drive
      on a linux machine I've tried

      mkdir /network/netcenter/scratch
      mount -t smbfs //netcenter/scratch /network/netcenter/scratch

      but this fails ... any pointers to the right direction appreciated!
    • fantuzfantuz
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 11, 2008
        hi David !

        Likely you do not have fuse-samba utils installed, so there isn't any way for the system to
        understand how to use the "-t smbfs" option of mount command.

        try googling around, keywords are "samba fuse mount", or "fuse samba utils". for
        reference, fuse means "filesystem in user space".

        giving that the target machine is a linux too, i hope that you already checked having
        either samba or nfs daemons started on the machine (not the slug machine, which is
        simply acting as a client, but the server, which has to export filesystems to make them
        ready to be mounted remotely). started deamons, so ?

        if you also passed step above, and haven't successed yet, i do suggest to move to "NFS",
        which is IMHO a better way to mount on linux (having it available). also, returning to topic,
        i don't know if fuse utils would be avaialable on slug repos.you can compile & install
        yourself, but i cannot grant on results. and more, i think it needs a 2.6 kernel, so no way
        if you are running unslung)

        sincerly, see you soon, and please feedback your exoeriences !!
        Massimiliano Fantuzzi // http://www.fantuz.net

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 28, 2008
          I realized that as I could already use the built in (web-page setup)
          backup to sync dirs on my netcenter to the NSLU2 disk then its clear
          that the mount was possible ... so I requested the backup to run
          manually and in a terminal window on the NSLU2 ran "mount" to report
          what all the mounts were ... the netcenter was being mounted as an
          smbfs mount.

          So first solution was to use builtin backup to sync contents of
          netcenter dirs to NSLU2 then use rsnapshot to take snapshots of this
          "copy" of the actual data. (N.b. I'm a strong fan of snapshots having
          experienced them on our netapp fileservers at work for the 5-10 years)

          Tried mount -f smbs with all the same parameters as were indicate by
          the mount report when the built-in backup was running but the mount
          still failed! However, some further googling revealed a report from
          someone that while "mount -f smbfs" doesn't work, using the underlying
          "smbmount" command does (n.b. documentation for smbmount says "don't
          use this directly - use mount -smbfs instead!").

          Anyway tried this an it worked so wrote a wrapper script around
          rsnapshot that does an smbmount of the relevant drives, runs
          rsnapshot, unmounts the drives + fixes a few dir permissions so
          snapshots can be accessed via windows explorer.

          So, an unslung NSLU2 can mount a filesystem from another device using
          smbfs ... its just that you have to go direct to smbmount rather than
          the "normal" "mount -f smbfs" ... looks like another case of NSLU2
          running Linux - but not quite as we normally knwo it!

          Anyway, I think I've now got the snapshot backup system working which
          was the reason why I got the NSLU2 in the first place.

          Now this is running I can start to see what other "interesting" things
          I can get it to do!

          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "fantuzfantuz" <max@...> wrote:

          > hi David !
          >
          > Likely you do not have fuse-samba utils installed, so there isn't
          any way for the system to
          > understand how to use the "-t smbfs" option of mount command.
          >
          > try googling around, keywords are "samba fuse mount", or "fuse
          samba utils". for
          > reference, fuse means "filesystem in user space".
          >
          > giving that the target machine is a linux too, i hope that you
          already checked having
          > either samba or nfs daemons started on the machine (not the slug
          machine, which is
          > simply acting as a client, but the server, which has to export
          filesystems to make them
          > ready to be mounted remotely). started deamons, so ?
          >
          > if you also passed step above, and haven't successed yet, i do
          suggest to move to "NFS",
          > which is IMHO a better way to mount on linux (having it available).
          also, returning to topic,
          > i don't know if fuse utils would be avaialable on slug repos.you can
          compile & install
          > yourself, but i cannot grant on results. and more, i think it needs
          a 2.6 kernel, so no way
          > if you are running unslung)
          >
          > sincerly, see you soon, and please feedback your exoeriences !!
          > Massimiliano Fantuzzi // http://www.fantuz.net
          >
          > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "David Shepherd" <david@> wrote:
          > >
          > > With unslung NSLU can I mount a drive on another machine on my network
          > > on the slug ... or do i need to install some extra packages.
          > >
          > > I'm (still) trying to connect the unslung slug to my WD Netcenters
          > > drives to get rsnapshot backups running and I'm assuming I ought to be
          > > able to mount them as smbfs drives.
          > >
          > > My knowledge of linux/unix is a little hazy ... enough to make me
          > > think I know what I'm doing but not necessarily to ensure I do it
          > > correctly!
          > >
          > > Adapting scripts I've found where poeple have mounted the slug drive
          > > on a linux machine I've tried
          > >
          > > mkdir /network/netcenter/scratch
          > > mount -t smbfs //netcenter/scratch /network/netcenter/scratch
          > >
          > > but this fails ... any pointers to the right direction appreciated!

        • docbillnet
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 29, 2008
            --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "David Shepherd" <david@...> wrote:
            > Tried mount -f smbs with all the same parameters as were indicate by

            The correct option is -t not -f. The correct filesystem type is
            smbfs, not smbs. ie.

            mount -t smbfs

            Bill
          • David Shepherd
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 31, 2008
              --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "docbillnet" <yahoo@...> wrote:

              > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "David Shepherd" <david@> wrote:
              > > Tried mount -f smbs with all the same parameters as were indicate by
              >
              > The correct option is -t not -f. The correct filesystem type is
              > smbfs, not smbs. ie.
              >
              > mount -t smbfs
              >
              > Bill

              sorry, miremembered when typing message ... anyway, as far as I
              recall, mount -t smbf didn;t work but smbmount did!