Can the NSLU2 format the drive I've unslung to ?

  • dtennant25
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 5, 2008
      I'm having some problems and I'd like to re-format the drive I
      originally unslung to, is this possible/advisable ?

      I new to this and I bought the slug to unsling it and run media
      servers on (twonky and kissdx).

      It has unslung fine (to a 500G Seagate Freeagent). So far I've got
      kissdx on it.

      I've been connecting to it from my Mac (OSX 10.4.11) which I assume is
      using a SMB share (because I'm too thick to have set up anything useful)

      I was having some problems with files dissappearing or not showing up
      on the kiss player.
      Having logged into the slug an "ls -a" revealed that for each file
      called "blah" there was an extra file called "._blah". I thought these
      may have been created by kissdx and thought that deleting them
      wouldn't hurt (assuming kissdx would recreate them and get it right
      this time). It didn't help, and then the files "blah" also appeared to
      go missing. Some Google searching reveals that the extra file may be a
      feature of using SMB from a Mac (serves me right for using a Mac I guess)

      However I can't recopy those files to the device and if I ls the dir
      they were in I get a series of the following errors:
      ls: public/Pictures/IMG_1118.JPG: Input/output error
      ls: public/Pictures/IMG_1119.JPG: Input/output error
      ls: public/Pictures/IMG_1120.JPG: Input/output error

      nor can I rm -rf the directory as it reports being not empty.

      I'm left thinking the best way to clean up would be to reformat the
      drive and start again. But selecting format on the web interface
      doesn't seem to achieve anything, plus would I have problems unslining
      an unslung slug to a clean drive ?

      Also, if you've got links for how to set up a Mac to work better with
      a slug, then I'm all ears.

      TIA