ftp from nslu2 for backup

  • ian_jefferyes
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 3 4:08 PM

      Does anyone have any utilities/programs/tools that can be used to
      upload files from the nslu2 to an ftp server?

      I want to backup my pictures to an online archive, but as the upload
      speed is so slow I want to try and do this from my slug rather than my PC.

      I already have the unslung firmware installed and can telnet in and
      ftp manually, but really I want something that I can leave running, so
      that I can just switch off my PC.

      Any help greatly appreciated.

      Ian
    • Thomas Reitmayr
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 3 4:36 PM
        Hi Ian,
        I am successfully using ftpsync.pl (http://sourceforge.net/projects/ftpsync/) to mirror a few svn repositories on a web-server for public viewvc browsing. It is triggered by a cron job (at 3 am.) and uploads only the new and modified files in my configuration. You need perl + a few perl libraries (for which at least one gave me some troubles) to get it working. I installed it on SlugOS.
        You might want to take a look at that tool.
        -Thomas

        Does anyone have any utilities/programs/ tools that can be used to
        upload files from the nslu2 to an ftp server?

        I want to backup my pictures to an online archive, but as the upload
        speed is so slow I want to try and do this from my slug rather than my PC.

        I already have the unslung firmware installed and can telnet in and
        ftp manually, but really I want something that I can leave running, so
        that I can just switch off my PC.

        Any help greatly appreciated.

        Ian

        <!--

        #ygrp-mkp{
        #ygrp-mkp hr{
        border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}
        #ygrp-mkp #hd{
        #ygrp-mkp #ads{
        margin-bottom:10px;}
        #ygrp-mkp .ad{
        padding:0 0;}
        #ygrp-mkp .ad a{
        color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}
        -->

        <!--

        #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc{
        font-family:Arial;}
        #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd{
        #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad{
        margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}
        -->

        <!--

        #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
        #ygrp-text{
        font-family:Georgia;
        }
        #ygrp-text p{
        margin:0 0 1em 0;}
        #ygrp-tpmsgs{
        font-family:Arial;
        clear:both;}
        #ygrp-vitnav{
        #ygrp-vitnav a{
        padding:0 1px;}
        #ygrp-actbar{
        #ygrp-actbar .left{
        float:left;white-space:nowrap;}
        .bld{font-weight:bold;}
        #ygrp-grft{
        #ygrp-ft{
        padding:5px 0;
        }
        #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
        padding-bottom:10px;}

        #ygrp-vital{
        #ygrp-vital #vithd{
        #ygrp-vital ul{
        padding:0;margin:2px 0;}
        #ygrp-vital ul li{
        }
        #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
        #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
        font-weight:bold;}
        #ygrp-vital a{
        text-decoration:none;}

        #ygrp-vital a:hover{
        text-decoration:underline;}

        #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
        color:#999;font-size:77%;}
        #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
        #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
        padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;}
        #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
        #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
        text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}
        #ygrp-sponsor #nc{
        #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
        padding:8px 0;}
        #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
        #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
        text-decoration:none;}
        #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
        text-decoration:underline;}
        #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
        margin:0;}
        o{font-size:0;}
        .MsoNormal{
        margin:0 0 0 0;}
        #ygrp-text tt{
        font-size:120%;}
        blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
        .replbq{margin:4;}
        -->

        E-Mails jetzt auf Ihrem Handy.
        www.yahoo.de/go

      • Bob Cox
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 4 1:20 AM
          In article <fqi3tf+5b0p@...>,
          ian_jefferyes <nslu2@...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > Does anyone have any utilities/programs/tools that can be used to
          > upload files from the nslu2 to an ftp server?
          >
          > I want to backup my pictures to an online archive, but as the upload
          > speed is so slow I want to try and do this from my slug rather than my PC.
          >
          > I already have the unslung firmware installed and can telnet in and
          > ftp manually, but really I want something that I can leave running, so
          > that I can just switch off my PC.
          >
          > Any help greatly appreciated.

          You could run a cron job to execute a shell script which, in this
          example, includes a line to upload a file called 'uploadfile' to
          'host.domain.dom' with login 'user' and target directory '/dir/filedir/'
          with something like:

          ftp ftp://user@.../dir/filedir/ < /<path-to>/script.ftp 1>/dev/null

          (all on one line)

          where script.ftp is:

          prompt
          lcd <directory-containing-uploadfile>
          ascii
          put uploadfile
          bye

          In my case, the ftp password for user@... is in a separate
          .netrc file, but could be included in the line above. I think the
          syntax would be user:password@....

          http://bobcox.com/
          Registered user #445000 with the Linux Counter: http://counter.li.org/
          Debian on NSLU2 Slug: http://bobcox.com/slug/
        • ian_jefferyes
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 4 11:56 AM
            This is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for.

            Do you happen to have a list of the libraries and which unslung
            packages they might come in?

            I have looked in the readme file and it states:

            - Perl 5.6+
            ftpsync.pl was initially developed on Perl 5.6.0-81 on SuSE Linux 7.2

            - File::Find, IO::Handle
            IMHO parts of the basic perl package.

            - Net::FTP
            Part of the libnet-perl package.

            - File::Listing
            Part of the libwww-perl package.

            Now, I am assuming that the standard perl package will be sufficient
            for the first two, but I am not sure about the next two.

            Regards

            Ian

            --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Reitmayr <treitmayr@...>
            wrote:

            > Hi Ian,
            > I am successfully using ftpsync.pl
            (http://sourceforge.net/projects/ftpsync/) to mirror a few svn
            repositories on a web-server for public viewvc browsing. It is
            triggered by a cron job (at 3 am.) and uploads only the new and
            modified files in my configuration. You need perl + a few perl
            libraries (for which at least one gave me some troubles) to get it
            working. I installed it on SlugOS.
            > You might want to take a look at that tool.
            > -Thomas

            0px;}
            > #ygrp-mkp #ads{
> [...]
          • Thomas Reitmayr
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 4 2:12 PM
              Hi Ian,
              I have to reinstall ftpsync.pl again anyway (because of past experiments with my one and only slug), so I could tell you within the next week what exactly works straight forward and what needs some manual work. My current guess is I used cpan to install the libraries which should also work on unslug (just execute cpan, then type "install File::Find"). I remember that there was a problem with parts of one package and I had to pull out the files which I needed and let go of the rest of the package. During the next week I should know more about that issue. Ideally we could eventually create a Wiki page about the installation and use of the tool.
              Regards,
              -Thomas

              wrote:

              > Hi Ian,
              > I am successfully using ftpsync.pl
              (http://sourceforge. net/projects/ ftpsync/) to mirror a few svn
              repositories on a web-server for public viewvc browsing. It is
              triggered by a cron job (at 3 am.) and uploads only the new and
              modified files in my configuration. You need perl + a few perl
              libraries (for which at least one gave me some troubles) to get it
              working. I installed it on SlugOS.
              > You might want to take a look at that tool.
              > -Thomas

              color:#628c2a; font-size: 85%;font- weight:bold; line-height: 122%;margin: 10px
              0px;}
              > #ygrp-mkp #ads{
              > margin-bottom: 10px;}
              > #ygrp-mkp .ad{
              > padding:0 0;}
              > #ygrp-mkp .ad a{
              > color:#0000ff; text-decoration: none;}
              > -->
              >
              > <!--
              >
              > #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc{
              > font-family: Arial;}
              > #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd{
              > margin:10px 0px;font-weight: bold;font- size:78%; line-height: 122%;}
              > #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad{
              > margin-bottom: 10px;padding: 0 0;}
              > -->
              >
              > <!--
              >
              > #ygrp-mlmsg {font-size:13px; font-family: arial, helvetica, clean,
              sans-serif;}
              clean, sans-serif;}
              > #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height: 1.22em;}
              > #ygrp-text{
              > font-family: Georgia;
              > }
              > #ygrp-text p{
              > margin:0 0 1em 0;}
              > #ygrp-tpmsgs{
              > font-family: Arial;
              > clear:both;}
              > #ygrp-vitnav{
              > #ygrp-vitnav a{
              > padding:0 1px;}
              > #ygrp-actbar{
              > clear:both;margin: 25px
              0;white-space: nowrap;color: #666;text- align:right; }
              > #ygrp-actbar .left{
              > float:left;white- space:nowrap; }
              > .bld{font-weight: bold;}
              > #ygrp-grft{
              > #ygrp-ft{
              > padding:5px 0;
              > }
              > #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
              > padding-bottom: 10px;}
              >
              > #ygrp-vital{
              > #ygrp-vital #vithd{

              font-size:77% ;font-family: Verdana;font- weight:bold; color:#333; text-transform: uppercase; }
              > #ygrp-vital ul{
              > padding:0;margin: 2px 0;}
              > #ygrp-vital ul li{
              > }
              > #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{

              font-weight: bold;color: #ff7900;float: right;width: 2em;text- align:right; padding-right: .5em;}
              > #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
              > font-weight: bold;}
              > #ygrp-vital a{
              > text-decoration: none;}
              >
              > #ygrp-vital a:hover{
              > text-decoration: underline; }
              >
              > #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
              > color:#999;font- size:77%; }
              > #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
              > #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
              > padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0; }
              > #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
              > #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
              > #ygrp-sponsor #nc{
              > #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
              > padding:8px 0;}
              > #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{

              font-family: Arial;font- weight:bold; color:#628c2a; font-size: 100%;line- height:122% ;}
              > #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
              > text-decoration: none;}
              > #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
              > text-decoration: underline; }
              > #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
              > margin:0;}
              > o{font-size: 0;}
              > .MsoNormal{
              > margin:0 0 0 0;}
              > #ygrp-text tt{
              > font-size:120% ;}
              > blockquote{margin: 0 0 0 4px;}
              > .replbq{margin: 4;}
              > -->
              >

              > E-Mails jetzt auf Ihrem Handy.
              > www.yahoo.de/ go

              <!--

              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 4 2:59 PM
                I appear to have this working.

                I installed the packages:

                perl
                perl-libwww

                I also manually created the listing.pm file that I found through google.

                I can then use the command line to load a directory to my ftp server.

                But, what I am not sure of is the syntax to get this as a cron job, I
                tried a few things, but couldn't get it to work.

                Do you know if something like the following will work:

                0 23 * * * root /usr/bin/perl ftpsync.pl -v '/public/Backup/My
                Pictures'

                Cheers

                wrote:

                > Hi Ian,
                > I have to reinstall ftpsync.pl again anyway (because of past
                experiments with my one and only slug), so I could tell you within the
                next week what exactly works straight forward and what needs some
                manual work. My current guess is I used cpan to install the libraries
                which should also work on unslug (just execute cpan, then type
                "install File::Find"). I remember that there was a problem with parts
                of one package and I had to pull out the files which I needed and let
                go of the rest of the package. During the next week I should know more
                about that issue. Ideally we could eventually create a Wiki page about
                the installation and use of the tool.
                > Regards,
                > -Thomas

                0px;}
                > #ygrp-mkp #ads{
> [...]
              • Carl Lowenstein
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 4 4:42 PM
                  On 3/4/08, ian_jefferyes <nslu2@...> wrote:

                  > I appear to have this working.
                  >
                  > I installed the packages:
                  >
                  > perl
                  > perl-libwww
                  >
                  > I also manually created the listing.pm file that I found through google.
                  >
                  > I can then use the command line to load a directory to my ftp server.
                  >
                  > But, what I am not sure of is the syntax to get this as a cron job, I
                  > tried a few things, but couldn't get it to work.
                  >
                  > Do you know if something like the following will work:
                  >
                  > 0 23 * * * root /usr/bin/perl ftpsync.pl -v '/public/Backup/My
                  > Pictures'

                  Much easier if you don't try to put all the complicated syntax into a
                  cron job. Put everything into a shell script, and use cron to run
                  that script. This way you can test the script independent of cron.

                  0 23 * * * root /root/bin/backupscript

                  This also avoids some of the bizarre quoting rules for putting special
                  characters into crontab entries.

                  carl
                  --
                  carl lowenstein